I need a bath

Thimble Hall

I am a bit picky with this item I have to admit. I have a picture in my head of it and I am hoping to find it

Holly in the UK the old small working class  houses didn't have indoor bathrooms  but had what looked like a double outhouse built in brick outside on the concrete area behind the house. One door opened to reveal   a regular toilet and the other door  revealed a coal shed. The tin bath always hung on the side of this little building. I had a house that had one, they became quite fashionable actually  Mine had been totally renovated and had long since had a bedroom made into a bathroom but the original toilet was still there, very pristine but there in the actual shed.

• Like 1

I can’t resist this discussion. Many of you know that my sister owns a small chateau in the Pyrenees Mountains in France. It was the hunting lodge of King ??? (Sorry I forget which one).  Anyway, when the chateau was a ruin in the 1970’s a builder reconstructed the interior but was able to keep most of the existing exterior stone walls. This photo, hard to see, shows the original stone “throne”. The entry way has been stoned up but the throne was saved. Apparently, there was a 2 story wooden building attached to the rear. This “throne” was enclosed in the building. He would do his business and and it would go down into buckets at the bottom of the building. The servants would empty the buckets down the adjacent hillside.  

D722DD12-EE80-4EB9-8D5A-10A910893544.jpeg

Wonderful info and of course that is exactly what happened in the brick outhouse. Originally there was a container and a seat with a hole, Ay night there was a man employed by the council to go around and empty them..what  job eh!! but all paid for in your rates I guess. I don't remember any of that but my  much older late brother who was a poet and writer in Australia wrote a series of stories about growing up, he went back as far as he could and he talked about the toilet man in  and the gas lamp lighter.

What a super home above, lovely place to go. I have a niece who has jusy bought a property in France but haven't seen it yet, not a chateau though..

59 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Wonderful info and of course that is exactly what happened in the brick outhouse. Originally there was a container and a seat with a hole, Ay night there was a man employed by the council to go around and empty them..what  job eh!! but all paid for in your rates I guess. I don't remember any of that but my  much older late brother who was a poet and writer in Australia wrote a series of stories about growing up, he went back as far as he could and he talked about the toilet man in  and the gas lamp lighter.

What a super home above, lovely place to go. I have a niece who has jusy bought a property in France but haven't seen it yet, not a chateau though..

We had outhouses in Brisbane up until the 1960's when they installed city wide plumbing. Often the loo was just a galvanised rubbish bin with a toilet seat on top.  My Dad told me the dunny man used to come around to collect. I agree Jeannine, now there is a job!! :eek:

When they put the plumbing in most people just plumbed the outhouse instead of moving the loo inside.. lol... My house still has the plumbing capped off in the backyard where the outhouse used to be. 

My Grandmother who lived in the sticks (Think Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies, gun and all.. she was quite the character) still had an outhouse and no plumbing until she died in the early 90's.. I used to hate going to her house because there were always big spiders and the odd snake in that outhouse..scare the bejeezus out of me.. and you had to be good at holding your breath too.. :rolleyes:... we're a bit backward out here in the antipodes. 

Sable, that "throne" is a classic. :D

13 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I made a bathing area on the front porch for the Three Pigs build. When you look at the size of the pigs and the size of the tub it's comically ridiculous, but perfectly acceptable in a whimsical theme. Don't worry about getting too stuck on "perfectly scaled". If that were the case, our 1/12th houses would all be really HUGE!

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

This is so cute!  I love the towels and scrubies!    I keep thinking fairies would like wooden tubs rather then metal, still haven’t found something that clicks with me either to make or buy

• Like 1

My mom was married in 1952 and even after that her parents didn't have an inside bathroom. My mom told me that when she and my dad went for a visit, my dad used to pray for constipation.

I have a picture of a thatched cottage that was on display at the Cottage Dollhouse and it has a little loo in a room next to the main house. I'm so sick of Photobucket today that I don't really feel like going back and looking for it, but I'll check tomorrow and post it if anyone wants to see it.

• Like 1

When I was a little girl my grandparents took me on a visit to my older uncle's MIL's summer cottage in upstate NY.  The biffy there was a two-seater set well away from the house.  She kept the bathtub on the porch and brought it into the kitchen for our baths.  My cousins were both boys, so their grandma hung  bedsheet from a rafter for the ladies' baths.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

This is so cute!  I love the towels and scrubies!    I keep thinking fairies would like wooden tubs rather then metal, still haven’t found something that clicks with me either to make or buy

Thanks Barb!

How about looking for a burl wood bowl or candle holder. Here's a pricey example:

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/novica-flame-shrine-wood-votive-candle-nvc11007.html

• Like 1

How big a wooden tub do you want I have one in my hand that is maybe an inch high maybe 1/4inches across at the top. it has 2 metal handles a black stripe round the top and bottom and it is grooved to look like individual  timbers . It is made of wood./

• 3 weeks later...