Not a house for dolls, but a house for ponies!

Wollepluis

Hi there everyone!

I'm busy searching around the web, looking for inspiration and tutorials on redoing an old 1/12 scale tiny stable I'm planning to get my hands on. That's right: I'm a lot into miniature ponies, especially Julip Originals. The little stable is made out of MDF and I plan on adding some nice weathered siding, a new roof, give the doors a lick of paint, probably add some lights and further decorate the outside with some moss and plants. I'm quite creative, but haven't done anything like this before. That's why I decided to register to this forum, to maybe pick up some tips and tricks!

I have already saved some really nice tutorials to my list, but I'm still looking for more. That's why I'm wondering if any of you might know about some nice tutorials or examples  that might come in handy when redoing a stable? Thank you!

Oh, and if you're curious about my ponies and things I've made thus far, you can see lots of photos on my blog (it's www.wollepluis.com)! 

And please excuse my English: it's not my mother tongue. ;)

Edited by Wollepluis
  • Like 1

Welcome to the little family.  I think there's at least one artisan who sells 1:12 tack on Etsy and some of our members also collect the Breyer horses.

You can check the gallery albums to see what people have created.  One of the former spring Fling contests featured a barn:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&category=43

Selkie's granddaughter Twinkle made a barn for another:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=6302

And our Deb did some wowser aging techniques with one of her builds:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=2621

• Like 2

There are quite a few miniature tack shops on the net but I don't know their names. I have been searching for a particular 1/12th horse for several days and have come across quite a few, some lovely tack but not the horse I wanted. Still looking.

21 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

I have been searching for a particular 1/12th horse

If you will describe the horse in question, someone here may spot one. Or have one. :) 

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

I saw this Cow Barn on Ebay and thought it was great inspiration for a barn build. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-New-England-Cow-Barn-/282695389224?hash=item41d1f55028:g:wTIAAOSwekhZ44Fb

Oh and you need a 1/12 bjd doll in full riding gear to ride your beautiful horses. Your tack is lovely. :) 

Wow, that is a really nice barn.  You couldn't tell it was miniature.  Definitely artist made. I can see the horses and cows in it.

4 hours ago, Jeannine said:

It has several names Gypsy, Irish Cob etc  but is  due to variations in the breed but is generally  known as a Tinker,  so far I have only found 1/24th scale

untitled.png

I was searching for one a couple weeks ago, there were some listings on eBay, but not at a price I would want to pay, $275 plus postage. 

Gypsy Vanner horse

49 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I was searching for one a couple weeks ago, there were some listings on eBay, but not at a price I would want to pay, $275 plus postage. 

Gypsy Vanner horse

Here is a Breyer at a more reasonable price. But not black and white though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breyer-NIB-Gypsy-Vanner-1497-Brishen-Pinto-Draft-Traditional-Model-Horse/152709233725?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3Df060e2f7679448a1bc971ac6fce41cbe%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122707649920&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Be aware though that these horses are 1:9 scale so may be a little large for your project if it's 1:12.

The horse is available from Breyer ,it is one of their Traditional series  but they are 1/9th scale and is  not expensive $49 I believe, The one on e bay has been repainted .

Very gentle horses and smaller than the Shire As you can see from the pictures below, same Bryer horse just different colors. I want one as part of my theme for Joe my woodcutter whose house I m building as we speak, The other one I found was 1/24th so can't quite get it right. I don't know realistically how much difference there would be fro 1/9th compared to 1/12th and I may go with it. The other thing is I would prefer one to be still not prancing

venner.jpg

vanner.jpg

I have thought about that Samantha but I am not as familiar with horse structure as I am with dogs so would worry if I got the shape wrong. I probably will end up changing to a different breed but I just happen to like the Tinker and I am actually afraid of horses. 

Talking of flocking, I have just bought a box of German plastic dogs, the same brand as your beautiful  cat but can't spell it. I want to try an OES, I showed those for years so l know them well and yesterday I played with unspun wool and worked three  colors into a beautiful  grizzle grey  to go with the white I had so I could try it. A clipped OES looks very much like a pointer which is what I am going to use as the base. I have no idea if I can do it, or even if it will work with the raw wool but I intend having a go.

OOps sorry.stealing some ones topic.

I like this one, my horse is a pinto mare, but I think it is too small, it would be a small pony in 1:12, it is 3.9” tall, which would be roughly slightly smaller then a 10 hand pony, and way too big for 1:24. I think most of the Schleigh models are way too small for what I was looking for.

Pinto mare

I gave up on Breyer because the ones I like are all the 1:9, I don’t care for any of the 1:12 size they have.  I think I need to go upstairs and look for my old horse collection!

Aww, thank you everyone for your comments, tips, inspiration and compliments! I've to say I'm settled concerning the actual horses (I collect 'Julip Originals') and tack (I loooove making that): it's just the building/redoing of a scaled building that's entirely new to me.

@Samusa: Ahh, thanks! What a stunning barn that is! I actually plan on getting a rider pretty soon. <3 

@Jeannine: I believe Breyer doesn't have any Gypsy Vanners in 1/12 scale (only 1/9) and Schleich is a little to small (it's about 1/20). But: the ponies I collect are 1/12 scale and are made to order. They make adorable Vanners too! Fun fact: they're slightly bendable and have actual mohair manes and tails. They do look a little more stylistic, so they aren't to everyones taste. But if you would like to look into it, I can get you in touch with the person behind the brand. :) 

Edited by Wollepluis

Oh I love Gypsy Vanners.  I have a retired Breyer but it is the larger size.  It is of Kuchi.  I got it at the Kentucky horse park Breyer show.  They actually had Kuchi there and I got a photo of Kuchi signed.  I also have a large painting of Katie Sky over my fireplace.  They are such beautiful animals.   Your collection is amazing. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 7.21.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 7.37.47 PM.png

• Like 1