Not a house for dolls, but a house for ponies!

Wollepluis

Samantha , thank you, interesting site, I spent along time looking through the gallery and never finished as it was very slow loading,but I want to go back and try again. I think I got as far as the cross breed dogs. I did see the Tinker though and am curious about it. It was expensive which I don't mind so much but  I am not sure it warranted so much however  I am thinking about contacting them .

Some of the dogs were very poor which worried me a bit but the sheep and lamb  were excellent. None of the cats were as nice as yours and  it has sort of become a bench mark for me .I am known to be a bit picky so of course I adored your squirrel. I have looked at so many repainted and furred  animals over the last couple of weeks I am almost dizzy. One thing is very clear especially on that site is that some "stuff " they are using just doesn't work as it looks like fluff and not fur, especially as some of it sparkled and some dogs just don't. it works on some animals but not on all, I think the reason the sheep were so good is because they were done with wool.

I have been playing with raw wool and a couple of dogs to try and reproduce an Old English Sheepdog, so far I have discarded each one but I am getting better. I have also played with human hair a bit, mine is exceptionally fine and would make lovely feather on a Tinker but the color is all wrong now but somewhere I have a big pony tail  of hair in a rubber band that I saved when I had my long  hair cut about 20 years ago and it was still red then. I have a thing about saving hair!! I am watching e bay for a job lot of horses to play with as I did the dogs but so far no luck.

Gabbling on a bit here, but thank you so much for the link, I did see a couple of things I might be tempted by so I appreciate it very much

XX Jeannine

Wonderful site Holly thank you, here minis are very special, waiting list of several months sadly but the quality of her work is stunning Thank you. I want a couple of English Robins too and she had a picture of some she had sone , so very tempting

• 1 month later...

Yes I am still looking, I got excited for a minute, the horse is a Breyer and she has added the feather to his feet but there is none on his tail and mane much, Thank you so much Samantha I will look till I find what is in my head ..so please keep looking with me cos you have found a few things I wanted.

Holy I am not so concerned if he is flocked or not I just want the basic horse to be right, I can repaint it to get the coloring.

There is a wonderful site out there which talks about them in great detail and shows what is good feather etc and if the horse does not have the feather expected they Travellers don't accept it as being a true to type, this is one of those things I am very picky about.

Life has taught me if you wait long enough and keep on looking you usually get what you want in the end. I still have the idea of buying a Breyer horse and adding the feather myself  somehow. but right now I am trying to get my doll things sorted out.

untitled.png

Jeannine, I think there is a Yahoo group called Haynet and they are the biggest (last I heard) forum of model horse enthusiasts that I know of.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Haynet/info

I believe this is their forum for selling and buying:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HaynetExchange/info

And this is a regular forum for the model horses:

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/

The kind of horse you're looking for is called a Gypsy Vanner. Now, Breyer makes horses in four sizes and I know one of those sizes fits 1:12 because I often see people use those models with 1:12 carriages and the like. This is their website:

http://www.breyerhorses.com/

and this is the size you're looking for - they're called Classic scale:

http://www.breyerhorses.com/classic_scale

If you are looking on eBay, here is a link - all you would need to do is put in the word "Classics Gypsy Vanner" or Classics Vanner" in to search for 1:12 size:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Breyer-Model-Horses/35998/bn_3027456

This is the Schleich horse, but it's only 4 1/2 " high - it would have to be at least 6" high to be in scale for 1:12, though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schleich-13791-Tinker-Stallion-Horse-Figurine-Hand-Painted-BRAND-NEW-/121948825297

Here are the model sales pages:

http://www.modelhorsesalespages.com/gallery.asp

And you could find something here, although it may be a little pricey:

http://www.animalartistry.co.uk/index.php

When you shop for a model horse on eBay, many people are showers and collectors. Model horses are the one collectible that isn't considered to be MIB - mint in the box because they can get rubs and scratches in the box. So if you are picky about what it looks like make sure you are seeing the horse you are getting out of the box (not a manufacturer's picture) and see if there is any description of any marks. Be careful about people who tell you a horse is "mint". Collectors don't use that word unless they are selling a horse that is able to go into a live show (LSQ - live show quality). Any horse with even a small mark or scratch on it is not considered mint and unless it's a rare and long discontinued model, won't be able to be live shown. A horse can be graded 1 thru 4 and if a seller is doing this, it means they know what they're talking about in terms of condition.

You may find a horse that is PSQ, that is, photo show quality. This is a horse that couldn't go into a live show but will photograph nicely. It may have only a small mark on it that can be unseen depending on how you position the horse for the photo. These horses are nice quality and may be a lot cheaper than a mint condition horse. In my opinion, any horse with enough scratches and marks on it to disqualify if from a photo show, is a horse that is a body only (used to practice painting on) and shouldn't cost more than $5 to $8 tops.

When you start getting into custom made, you are either seeing a mold that's been custom cast or custom painted or both. The cost can run about $50 for a very small, unpainted model to $1500 for a larger model that is painted. And you guys thought miniatures were expensive! Why do you think I got into this hobby anyway? LOL

Likewise, any harness or tack is going to cost bucks, depending on how well made it is. By the way, there is a method to change the stance on a horse - that is, make him from a galloping model to a standing model, but it can be a little difficult. I thing you have to heat the plastic so it bends and of course, then you have to change the muscles on the shoulder and flanks so they don't look out of place. I personally don't know how to do this.

Good luck and if you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them and if you already know all this, sorry to run on so long!

Hi Kelly, thank you, I have been investigating this horse model   for some time now and am familiar with the sales that are out there. There has only ever been 1 design of this horse in 1  1/2h scale and it was a Lindberg but they are long gone .I have a note on e bay to contact me if one shows up. I will of course follow any link.

The breed I know quite well. Among other things I was the  Traveler's  liaison at the school I worked at in the UK and have been to a few of  their  fairs and a couple  of weddings  and seen the horses close up., this is where I fell in love with the  breed and learned a few extra bits about it, like the name they give to the hair on it's feet ( feather not feathers)and how long it has to be to be considered true. I was corrected very promptly when I said the wrong word!! They have been around in the UK for many years but are still relatively new over here.

I could buy a 1/12th different horse from Breyer once I get a chance to really compare the breed standards and try and do the foot feather, tail and mane myself which is probably what I will  have to do. The only ones out there right now in 1 1/2 th are these modified ones. I have painted a lot of cattle and am very confident about painting it to get it the way I want it as it is mainly reverse dry brushing starting with all black and working forward.  I once sat on a hay bale at a county fair painting a piece I had fired to be identical to the Hereford cow that was in a stall there, the owner was fascinated that I started with a totally black cow but was even more fascinated when he saw the colors emerging, He tried very hard to buy it but I refused and it is in  my home to this day.. Flocking it or modifying  with Fimo etc it is more of a challenge for me but I am currenlty trying it with dogs and starting to show progress,,when I have the time.

Thank you for the links, I shall look at everyone very thoroughly.

I have this picture in my head of the horse I want and can't get it out.

28 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

...I have this picture in my head of the horse I want and can't get it out.

And that is precisely the one you should hold out for, because anything else will be "make do".  I do know what you mean.