Recommendations for a starter kit

Hi,

I'm very interested in starting to build my first dollhouse.  Just looking for any recommendations or tips.

I want to purchase a kit for beginners, but I'd like it to have a good amount of rooms to work with.  

I really like the Tennyson laser cut Greenleaf house, but it seems like too much for a first timer.

I'd like to do a Victorian.

Are the laser cut houses easier to start out?

Any recommended kits would be appreciated.

So excited to start!!!

Edited by GreenwoodMiniatures

First of all , you can build any kit if you just take your time and work in small stages.  I would choose the kit that appeals to you and if it calls your name and speaks to you, so much the better, because it will tell you what it wants and how to do it.  Do use a good carpenter's wood glue for assembly; some of the Greenleaf kits have hot glue mentioned in the instructions.  Please do not ever use hot glue to try to hold  kit together. The stairs in the Glencroft are quite elegant, the stairs in the Magnolia are neat.  After I built the Arthur I discovered that it isn't necessary to use all (or any) of the "gingerbread" trim.

I'm with Holly, I say pick a kit you love. Any house will be within your reach if you just plan your steps methodically. There is no wrong way or right way. Just your way. Enjoy! I'm looking forward to watching your progress.:D

Laser cut houses do not require the same amount of prep work (sanding) that the die cut houses have. Although whatever kind of house you choose, you'll want to dry fit as you go along. Dry fitting is taping the pieces together to be sure all of the tabs/slots are in alignment, pieces are installed correctly, etc. Once they are perfect in dry fit, then take it apart and reassemble with a wood glue. They can also be decorated before assembly, an especially good idea if the dry fit reveals a hard to reach area. Run some masking or painter's tape along the areas that will receive glue to maintain the wood-to-wood bond.

You will also want to prime any surfaces you want to paint or paper, to give a smooth surface the naturally-occurring acids in the wood cannot leach through to make stains over time.  I find any flat white or light gray interior latex works a charm for priming.