La Bafana research witchy Mrs. Claus legend

WyckedWood

I've been working on costuming a 1/12 Mrs. Claus. In doing some internet searches for inspiration and outfit ideas, I kept running across random depictions of witches who are dressed in a fashion that could be considered very similar to the modern idea of Mrs. Claus. I wondered why that would be and did a little more research. Discovered the reason for this is the legend of La Bafana. Does everyone know about her but me? Lol, first time learning of this legend. Great idea for a doll or even a cottage theme. Apparently this is a very old legend in Italy ( maybe other European countries?) that the witch called La Bafana visits children in the night, 12 days after Christmas Day? and leaves treats based on whether a child was good or not...sounds familiar....and is sometimes considered good and sometimes bad. Just thought it was interesting.  :) 

IMG_5365.PNG

IMG_5336.JPG

• Like 2

Never heard of her, and have to agree the majority of those images are downright spooky -- though I was drawn to the last one, namely b/c she just looked the epitome of a good witch, and I liked the stockings in the foreground. Definitely an interesting character and history!

• Like 1