Newbie Question: Wainscoting/Beadboard & Wallpaper

third_hand

Howdy from Eugene!

Quick question, folks: When you are wallpapering your interior, do you stop short with paper to leave room for paneling when you plan to install wainscoting/beadboard? Essentially, I'm wondering about whether I should wallpaper the entire wall (which seems like it might be easier than further cutting paper to size) and then install the paneling over the paper. My concern is that it might not adhere well and/or if there is a glue combination that might suit this method. Any advice about what's worked for you (or hasn't) would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance :) 

• Like 1

Hi, Eli, and welcome to the forum. I'd trim the paper so part of it is behind the wainscoting. If you're using Aileen's Tacky Glue or something similar to install the paneling, there should be no problems with adherence, even if you paper the entire wall.

How thick is the paper.. something to consider. If you are using a thick card-stock type paper it trimming it may interfere with the look of the wainscoting being thicker than the paper. I used this kind of paper on a room and didn't put it under where I was tiling and it made my ceiling trim uneven. (going from over the paper to no paper) I had to build out that section of trim to make it level. 

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think it's best I conserve paper (good point, Shannon) and, as Samantha suggested, not risk unevenness. For the record, I'm wallpapering two rooms: one with cardstock and the other with Shizen paper (a mixed material, recycled paper which is more flexible than craft paper and comes in much larger sheets). I will definitely be trimming all this lovely paper. 

P.S.-Holly, thanks for sharing your photos. That's a lovely little home you have there.