Total newbie from Germany here

MiraPrincess

Hello everyone!

I kind of stumbled accidentally into building a dollhouse! In the facebook craft group of the Hogwarts running club someone posted about building the Glencroft cottage and turning it into a wizards shop. I was intriqued by the looks of the dollhouse, went on ebay, found someone selling a Glencroft box for $2 plus $20 shipping to Germany, so I went ahead and bought it right away, thinking that all I have to do is put it together, paint it, and then decorate it... 

But about 5min after I had bought the dollhouse I went on Pinterest and then google and realised that there is much more about building a dollhouse than just putting paint on the outside. So while my box is on its way over here, I'm trying to read up all about building dollhouses, installing lights, and making my own furniture. I've looked for stores, but I only found one German website that sells dollhouse equipment like lamps and such. I'd love to light up the fireplaces, but I'm concerned that I won't find the equipment I want. But since it's my first dollhouse, I may skip lights and concentrate on the actual building first.

Any advice on how to tackle a project like this (e.g. putting it together first, then wallpaper it, or wallpaper first, then putting it together, etc.) is highly appreciated.

Oh, and my plan for it: I want it to be Hogwarts themed: Gryffindor common room living room, Ravenclaw library, Slytherin potions lab, and Hufflepuff kitchen or bedroom. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Mareike.  Do check out the Team Glencroft building blog:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=view&id=9  I wanted mine to become Miss Marple's cottage, but it wanted to become a pub, and the pub won.

Thanks! I started reading through your construction journal earlier!

Even though I don't have the kit yet, I really worry about how to start, especially the construction/painting bit. I see many people who put their houses together first, others paint and stick wallpaper and floors in as they go. And do I need to paint all the pieces white before I actually paint/put wallpaper in? And how about installing lights... so many basic questions....

What material do y'all use as wallpaper? Can I use scrapbook paper, or is that going to be too thick and heavy? With my Hogwarts theme I have particular colours and patterns in mind that I haven't found on dollhouse websites yet...and how about lights... can I put in lights later, or should I put them in on the go, too?

Welcome Mareike.  I love Harry Potter and can't wait to see your house.  I have used  both scrapbook paper and actual dollhouse wallpaper. I use Grandmother Stoves glue I get at Hobby Lobby. It is great.  I paint my walls in a similar color as the paper first.  I have usually papered after, but the house I am doing now, I will do some before and some after lol.  Only because some spaces are much easier to get into before.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MiraPrincess said:

Thanks! I started reading through your construction journal earlier!

Even though I don't have the kit yet, I really worry about how to start, especially the construction/painting bit. I see many people who put their houses together first, others paint and stick wallpaper and floors in as they go. And do I need to paint all the pieces white before I actually paint/put wallpaper in? And how about installing lights... so many basic questions....

What material do y'all use as wallpaper? Can I use scrapbook paper, or is that going to be too thick and heavy? With my Hogwarts theme I have particular colours and patterns in mind that I haven't found on dollhouse websites yet...and how about lights... can I put in lights later, or should I put them in on the go, too?

The order of construction depends on what works for you.  Your English is excellent, so you should have no more problems with the instructions than I did.  Priming the wood before painting or wallpapering seals it so that the naturally occurring acids in the wood won't leach out over time and discolor the paint or paper.  I use flat white interior emulsion paint to prime with; I have also used gesso.  I sometimes spread a skim coat of polyfilla over the wood to cover the grain and fill any icky spots, and when it's dry I sand it smooth.

Do use a good wood glue to build the kit, not hot glue.  I also use clear-drying white glue on the clear acetate window and door inserts.  If you want to stain any kit parts, don't prime or paint them.

There is a nice tutorial here for wiring.

I have used dollhouse wallpaper, real 1:1 wallpaper, giftwrap, scrapbook paper, fabric and strip wood to cover walls.  I use the premixed wallpaper paste I buy at the hardware store.  Some folks reduce and tile images they find online and print their own wallpapers.

A really good place to post and ask questions about your Glencroft build is this subforum:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=forums&id=27

• Like 1

Beulah, that's what I was wondering. Especially the staircase and the inside of the fireplace seem very tricky to do afterwards. I also want to practice a bit first before I actually start on the dollhouse. The postman just brought me a deep picture frame I want to do a miniature scene in. Maybe something Christmas-y or shabby chic. Need to check my scrapbook paper stash :D

I'd also like to do some stone/brick on the outside using paperclay. I haven't worked with paperclay before, but there is an artist on youtube who makes fairy houses out of plastic bottles and paperclay. That would look nice and is a small project to get used to the materials.

The postman also brought me this month's issue of dollshouse and miniature scene and it features someone who built Dumbledore's office including a miniature Fawkes and Dobby! So excited! Going to read that in bed tonight!

Edited by MiraPrincess
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

The order of construction depends on what works for you.  Your English is excellent, so you should have no more problems with the instructions than I did.  Priming the wood before painting or wallpapering seals it so that the naturally occurring acids in the wood won't leach out over time and discolor the paint or paper.  I use flat white interior emulsion paint to prime with; I have also used gesso.  I sometimes spread a skim coat of polyfilla over the wood to cover the grain and fill any icky spots, and when it's dry I sand it smooth.

Do use a good wood glue to build the kit, not hot glue.  I also use clear-drying white glue on the clear acetate window and door inserts.  If you want to stain any kit parts, don't prime or paint them.

There is a nice tutorial here for wiring.

I have used dollhouse wallpaper, real 1:1 wallpaper, giftwrap, scrapbook paper, fabric and strip wood to cover walls.  I use the premixed wallpaper paste I buy at the hardware store.  Some folks reduce and tile images they find online and print their own wallpapers.

A really good place to post and ask questions about your Glencroft build is this subforum:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=forums&id=27

Thanks! I'm an English teacher and my husband is from the US, so anything I don't understand he can help me figure out. I think I'll have to put together a list of things I need and then pester the people at the hardware store to find it all for me. I looooove hobby lobby and I always do a splurge trip when we're visiting the in-laws, unfortunately we don't have a crafting store like that here. The only crafting store in the area is small and outrageously overpriced. Aldi and Lidl here have crafting weeks 3-4 times a year, that's when I stock up on papers, glues, etc., anything else I get off Amazon, ebay, and etsy.

• Like 1

On this side of the Pond Aldi's sells groceries.  Do check your hardware store for masking tape or painter's tape (the stuff people use to mask off areas they don't want to splop paint on; it comes in blue & green) and use it to hold sections of your house together instead of glue, while you figure things out; we call that the "dry fit".  The Glencroft stairs are among the most elegant I have built in a dollhouse, and well worth the time & effort 

• Like 1

Hi, Marieke, and welcome to the forum! I'm agog at a Glencroft for $2. Are you sure it's the kit and not just the box? Or a miniature box? I've seen several Greenleaf kit boxes made up in 1:12 scale. :hmm: 

And Holly, Aldi sells groceries on the other side of the pond, too. :D 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum.  I have not been to this store, Elektromechanik Pinder, in Leipzig, but they have a shop and do sell online.  I discovered on their website a tutorial for lighting a dollhouse.  I will try to attach the link to their website.  Of course there are other online sellers (thinking of Mini Mundus).

https://www.puppenstuben-zubehoer.de/Laden-Elektromechanik-Pinder-Leipzig

I have enjoyed a couple of trips to Germany and have been fortunate to visit a few toy and dollhouse museums (two had attached flohmarkets).  There are a few pictures in my Members Gallery albums.

I bought some Miele 1:12 appliances from a big craft store in Trier, but it is hit or miss if they are in stock.

Since traveling to Germany, I have come to appreciate half timber framed buildings and bought and did a quick rehab on an already built Glencroft.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on your Glencroft.

• Like 1

The Glencroft takes a bit of effort - but it is not a huge house, and if you only have two colors (brown and white) you will still end up with a cute tudor - so I feel it is quite forgiving.

the fireplace is spacious - so stick with it and build that fireplace so that someone can use Floo powder. Or it can hold a big cauldron or various horcruxes. This is a good house for hogwarts themes. I also think the Gloucester kit could be a stand in for the Sirius Black family home.

• Like 1

Hi Mareike and welcome to the forum. As you can see there is no one or right way to go about the dollhouse. You are smart to read all you can before getting started, but starting is the best way to figure things out and learn. I often stare at my builds just so I can think through the next set of processes.

Have fun! The Glencroft is such and interesting and detailed kit!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

On this side of the Pond Aldi's sells groceries.  Do check your hardware store for masking tape or painter's tape (the stuff people use to mask off areas they don't want to splop paint on; it comes in blue & green) and use it to hold sections of your house together instead of glue, while you figure things out; we call that the "dry fit".  The Glencroft stairs are among the most elegant I have built in a dollhouse, and well worth the time & effort 

Yeah, Aldi is a grocery store here, too. But twice a week they have specials, like tools, clothing, baby stuff, decorations, school and office supplies, etc. My husband loves "American week" when they have American products like mac'n'cheese or mini blueberry pies :D

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Hi, Marieke, and welcome to the forum! I'm agog at a Glencroft for $2. Are you sure it's the kit and not just the box? Or a miniature box? I've seen several Greenleaf kit boxes made up in 1:12 scale. :hmm: 

And Holly, Aldi sells groceries on the other side of the pond, too. :D 

You made me cry, lol! I went back to the item description and you're right. It's a replica of the box :,( See, total noob here. When it said Glencroft Cottage Replica, I thought there is a real life cottage called Glencroft and the box contains the replica of it... I didn't convert inches into cm, so I didn't notice the size and with $20 shipping I expected a large box. OMG I spent $20 shipping on something you could ship in an envelope for $5... Now I'm really sad....

OK, since I need a new dollhouse to start out with... which is a cheap one that's easy to assemble and a great starter? Maybe 2 rooms to begin with that I can turn into the pub "The three broomsticks"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thriftymini said:

Welcome to the forum.  I have not been to this store, Elektromechanik Pinder, in Leipzig, but they have a shop and do sell online.  I discovered on their website a tutorial for lighting a dollhouse.  I will try to attach the link to their website.  Of course there are other online sellers (thinking of Mini Mundus).

https://www.puppenstuben-zubehoer.de/Laden-Elektromechanik-Pinder-Leipzig

I have enjoyed a couple of trips to Germany and have been fortunate to visit a few toy and dollhouse museums (two had attached flohmarkets).  There are a few pictures in my Members Gallery albums.

I bought some Miele 1:12 appliances from a big craft store in Trier, but it is hit or miss if they are in stock.

Since traveling to Germany, I have come to appreciate half timber framed buildings and bought and did a quick rehab on an already built Glencroft.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on your Glencroft.

You're a gem! I've not heard of Pinder, but then Leipzig is on the other side of Germany, but I will definitely check out their online store.

I've found Mini Mundus and the dollhouse museum is about an hour away from here. I was planning on in-laws there when they come to visit over Christmas. Trier is not too far away from me either, so maybe another day trip with the in-laws ;) I'll google the craft store and see if they have another store closer.

Since I just found out that I bought a replica of the building box instead of the actual dollhouse, I need to either ask for it for Christmas or find a cheaper house to start with. But the Glencroft will stay on my to do list!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

The Glencroft takes a bit of effort - but it is not a huge house, and if you only have two colors (brown and white) you will still end up with a cute tudor - so I feel it is quite forgiving.

the fireplace is spacious - so stick with it and build that fireplace so that someone can use Floo powder. Or it can hold a big cauldron or various horcruxes. This is a good house for hogwarts themes. I also think the Gloucester kit could be a stand in for the Sirius Black family home.

Great idea! When I first saw a picture of the kit I was thinking The Potters House in Godric's Hollow!

17 minutes ago, MiraPrincess said:

You made me cry, lol! I went back to the item description and you're right. It's a replica of the box :,( See, total noob here. When it said Glencroft Cottage Replica, I thought there is a real life cottage called Glencroft and the box contains the replica of it... I didn't convert inches into cm, so I didn't notice the size and with $20 shipping I expected a large box. OMG I spent $20 shipping on something you could ship in an envelope for $5... Now I'm really sad....

OK, since I need a new dollhouse to start out with... which is a cheap one that's easy to assemble and a great starter? Maybe 2 rooms to begin with that I can turn into the pub "The three broomsticks"?

OH NO! It is a replica of the box?!? Well, next time just run it by the folks here (in the ebay thread) and we will sort you out for a future purchase. That's a shame. So sorry!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsbeth said:

Oh, the Gloucester would make a good Black family home.  I can just see Kreacher peaking out of the curtains in the window.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiraPrincess said:

...OK, since I need a new dollhouse to start out with... which is a cheap one that's easy to assemble and a great starter? Maybe 2 rooms to begin with that I can turn into the pub "The three broomsticks"?

The Sugarplum:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse-kits/sugarplum-dollhouse-kit.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

OH NO! It is a replica of the box?!? Well, next time just run it by the folks here (in the ebay thread) and we will sort you out for a future purchase. That's a shame. So sorry!

Yeah :( But yes, now that I’m not completely clueless I’ll definitely do that

Ok, so I’ve looked through Greenleaf’s other Dollhouses and I’ve narrowed my choices down to the following:

1) The Haunted House

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/ZoomImageEx.aspx?productid=DH66&image=Dollhouses/66-Haunted-House-Dollhouse-UF-zoom.jpg

I’m thinking Shrieking Shack, although since Halloween is almost gone, I’d rather save that idea for next year. Alternatively, the Hog’s Head. I love the idea of adding a basement to it to store wine and beer barrels in. And a fireplace and a picture of Ariana Dumbledore would be cool

2) the Storybook Dollhouse 

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Wooden-Storybook-Cottage-Dollhouse-Kit.html#

or the Sugarplum

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Wooden-Sugarplum-Dollhouse-Kit.html#

Both may be neat as Honeydukes sweets shop or Zonko’s jokeshop. Their windows would work well as shop fronts. The Storybook could also work as the romantic tea shop, but I’m not into building a poofy tea shop. For the shops, the idea of building dozens of product boxes is a little scary. Is there a simple way to do those?

so, what do you think? I think I’m leaning towards the Hog’s Head idea...