1:48-scale dollhouse almost done

cloudbound

Here are some photos of the 'modern 1:48-scale house I've been working on - the one with oodles of the tiny LED lights.  Its not quite done.  I still have to figure out what sort of roof finish and then add the final exterior trims.  This house will eventually have floor-to-ceiling plexiglass panels that will fill in between the walls on one side of the house.  I finished some tiny easy chairs and sofas today and got two beds dressed. 

DSCF0003 (2).JPG

DSCF0005 (2).JPG

DSCF0006 (3).JPG

DSCF0007 (3).JPG

DSCF0008 (1).JPG

• Like 4

Hi Carrie.  Nice to hear from you.  I completely BLEW IT with the floor-to-ceiling sliding plexiglass doors I had planned for the bottom floor.  And I spent HOURS building those tracks that they'd run in which I installed on the base and then along the top edge of the second floor - to match up.  I WISH!  I realized I'd glued the top one in wrong but I discovered it before I'd drilled all the holes for the lights to come through so I DUG that track out and imagine my delight when I was able to do it without destroying the tracks.  So I re-installed them and went along with everything - only to realize after it WAS too late that the tracks still weren't right.  I'd installed the second floor in with the opening for the tracks on the top instead of the bottom.    This is the point at which you had better just walk away and cool down.  But I am so disappointed because that set of 4 sliding panels was such a neat feature that was in my 'inspiration house'.  So sad.  With the addition of the brown wood trim along the edges of each floor it really has sharpened the look of the house today and I'm so happy.  

No fixing the issue.  Grrr..... I probably could've if I'd taken all the lights out of the board to kind of start over with that ceiling.  But I was just SO exasperated.  Hmm...  I wonder if maybe there might be some way to improvise though. 

• Like 1

That would've been a super thing to add Holly but its too late now.  All of the wiring runs along chiseled paths in the floors and they're covered up now.  I wish I'd thought of that though!  I wanted to have some unique features and that would've been so fun to see.  But now that you mention it I will build some patio furniture and that should be fun.  Darn - the fire bowl would've been spectacular!  I have some furniture built and I got the cutest mini dining set on the website Shapeways that I plan to use too.  

Brilliant!  Maybe I can figure out how to use one of those battery-operated standard dollhouse lights so that I could easily turn it on and off manually.  I think I might have one of those in my stash and I'll experiment with it.  I love those chimneas!  That will be oodles of fun to try today!  Thank you again for your ideas Holly!

I don't have even one of those single battery-operated LED lights.  Can you believe it?  But I found a little battery-operated 'tea light' in amongst my Halloween decorations.  Hmm...  Possibly I can build a fire pit of chimnea that this could just slide up into...  The flame's pretty tall though.  Some experimentation is on my docket.

• Like 1

Thanks Sable.  Mike's wall would've all be 'square' but I just couldn't manage to get it right with everything teetering when I glued ceilings on.  But that's okay - I am liking the general look of the house.

You suggested a fire bowl and I discombobulated a little tea light to cut it down and here's my fire bowl.  What's funny is that it flickers - which I didn't realize at first.  And I got the roof finished by spraying some of the bumpy 'stone' paint onto some poster board and gluing it onto the top.

DSCF0001 (2).JPG

DSCF0002 (1).JPG

DSCF0004 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Hmm  I was just laying in bed last night trying to figure out what kind of furniture would work best.  I think the strip wood furniture would be nice.  Scale-wise my fire bowl turned out taller than I might've liked but to build the battery and on/off switch into it I had to go with the taller version.  I'll give the strip wood furniture a try today and thanks for the suggestion Holly.