Mini power table saw etc

Thimble Hall

I think I am ready to start looking for on of these and . maybe a jig saw too I have looked on the Mini Tools site but am really confused, Is there anyone who can help me decide what ii is I actually need please someone who uses then would be a great help to me, they are quite expensive and I am at their mercy.

Thank you in anticipation XX Jeannine

What size wood do you want to cut? Trim or larger pieces of plywood?

My table saw has a fence, the blade tilts for any degree of mitre cut and has more surface space to hold larger pieces of wood. But expensive. And I recommend a wood shop class for safety.

https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-Mini-Tilt-Arbor-Table-Saw-for-Benchtop-Hobby-Use_2

• Like 1

This is the one I have, and just love it.  I couldn't be without it.  I got it from Micromark, but do not see it there now.  Mine however doesn't tilt like the one they show, but I can't say I recall a time I would have needed it to.

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beulah said:

This is the one I have, and just love it.  I couldn't be without it.  I got it from Micromark, but do not see it there now.  Mine however doesn't tilt like the one they show, but I can't say I recall a time I would have needed it to.

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

Yours is the same as the Harbor Freight one.

• Like 2

I finally settled on a mini table saw and ordered it from amazon, I got it because it does have the sliding pusher with accurate gauge to make angle cuts so I don’t need a separate chop saw.  It also has safety shields, and the ruler on the side.  There is a chuck to use for a drill or polishing wheel, but I can’t imagine using it.  I looked at a lot of different ones that were cheaper and more expensive, but this one met all my needs.

C5F029E0-1C23-4CB6-B00C-9D0D5355A73C.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I guess the safety thing is part working on mostly big table saws, and part working in a hospital for 35 years lol

I have to agree on that one.  Joanne, at least use a push stick!

• Like 1

Thanks folks, Sable you have pictured the one at the top of my list of things  I was looking at. Can you tell me a bit of just what it can do, in very simple terms please

Now if I have a piece of ply and I want to say cut window and door openings into it, what tool would I buy for that please. I have been doing all these things my hand with a scalpel blade and a small hand saw and  clearly I need to invest in some proper tools.

I have worked in minis for years, fabric ,fur, porcelain, fondant, wool etc etc but have never had much need for wood tools.

About the table saw. You know how the peak of a roof forms a triangle? Since all houses don't have a 45 degree angle, in order to cut the mitre for the roof's angle along a piece of plywood, you need a tilted blade. Only the MicoMark offers this type of blade. Also, because the blade tilts and the angle guide is adjustable you can do compound mitres. Very few people have a need for that.

I use my table saw to cut out windows and doors but it is a very intense process.  Tiling the wood over the running blade can lead to kickback so a lot of concentration is involved. On prebuilt houses I use the Ridgid MultiMax.

Thank you all, I think I will go with the one Sable has. My son gave me a tool he bought for cutting holes in drywall  but according to youtube it is a lemon,it did what he wanted it ti do but then didn't need it so p[assed it on to me. The idea is good though, it is a multi tool and it will cut doors and windows out of whatever, On you tube I found a video that rated the top ten on these multi tools , the one I have which is a Milwaukee 12 didn't even make the bottom 10 so I will look around at some of the higher placed ones..

I think I am OK for a  regular Dremel type tool. My husband had a very good Dremel  purchased as his old one had died, he never got to use it though, then  it want on loan out and vanished. I have a similar tool that someone bought him before he replaced the Dremel it is a Jobmate, I have used it a couple of times but not really put it to the test. Fortunately whoever borrowed the new Dremel didn't take the case so I have a 500 piece accessory set and they fit the Jobmate too so I think I will stick with that for now.

I will look further into the Dremel trio, thanks Holly

Sable I suspect your Rigid multitool is similar to the ones I saw on you tube so I will look at that too, if the one I have is a lemon there is not much pointing in keeping it ,if I am going to buy some decent tools I may as well push the boat out and replace it.

Thank you for all the help, it is pretty mind boggling when one goes looking for stuff and the ads make it all sound wonderful. I feel I understand a lot more now.

Thanks Sable, I will hang on to it a bit.

I haven't got a gallery ,I don't know how to do that.

As for houseS I have three on the go, plus  2  I am redoing as well and a pile just waiting.Plus if I see a house I like and it is a good price I will get it for later. I have made a few houses in the past  about 8 if I remember well but just made them as the kit said and decorated them simply, they were given as gifts but that was more than  20 years ago, this time I am working for me.,so I am looking at it  from a more complex angle  which is why I want to invest in some good tools. My wood cutters home the Sugarplum for my trio is almost finished,I will do house # 2 for grandma next which is the Aster and finish with Red Ridngs one which is the Glencroft. I have my Fairfield almost finished but I had to put it aside as I was having difficulty finding the type of furniture  I wanted for the theme I had in mind. When I finally decide what the new theme will be I will finish that one My really huge UK one has stumped me a bit as I don't like the basement  but didn't' much like the options I came up with to change it and as it is an extra and not part of the house I have finally decided  not to use it but just finish the main house. It is built but need to be finished, décor, door lights etc. I have everything I need to do it and it is starting to gently call to me now., so I think I will working on that one as I do my Red Riding hood houses too. I should say here I do tend to work very slowly/