Painting

Denisem

What kind of paint are you using, craft paint or "real house paint"? I use real house paint when painting my dollhouse.  I found though years ago that I think it was an acrylic washable paint did not cover solidly no mater how many coats I put on my door frames.

• Like 3

I've used regular latex house paint in flat or eggshell finish as well as craft paints. I've found that coverage with the craft paints varies by brand, but not consistently, if that makes sense. You don't want to use glossy paint as it emphasizes surface irregularities.

A primer coat of house paint or gesso is a good base to seal the naturally occurring chemicals in the wood from leaching out and staining the surface in the years to come whether the surface is finished with paint or wallpaper.

• Like 3

Another hint- use good quality brushes for a smooth finish!  I started out using those foam "brushes" and quickly learned that they just didn't get the results I was looking for.

I use Benjamin Moore or Valspar latex paint in an eggshell or satin.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

Another hint- use good quality brushes for a smooth finish!  I started out using those foam "brushes" and quickly learned that they just didn't get the results I was looking for.

I use Benjamin Moore or Valspar latex paint in an eggshell or satin.

Are these paints available in smaller containers then a gallon?

A lot of places let you buy paint samples.  I buy paint samples from Home Depot.  Benjamin Moore does pint-size samples in interior eggshell:  http://store.benjaminmoore.com/storefront/prodPRM01A.html  You order online.  (With Home Depot, I order online and pick up in store.)  I find a sample is quite sufficient for the painting I do.

• Like 4

I've been painting a White House with paint with primer all in one. I really dislike it because I'm having the same problem you are having.i think I'm going to prime the whole thing over and use a Sherwin Williams satin latex.

• Like 1

I usually use flat white latex interior house paint for priming, which I get by the pint, or gesso.  I either use the little sample jars of interior lat or I tint the flat white interior late with artit's acrylics from the tube to achieve custom colors; no sheen, and you can thin them with water if need be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denisem said:

Thanks to everyone for your help ,it's houseold paint I'm using ,il give it a sanding and try another coat today.

Has the paint can been vigorously shaken lately? Sometimes the paint bits settle at the bottom of the can, so what you use from the top is just the diluted base, which is usually clear and would explain the poor coverage you are experiencing. Just stirring may not bring up all of the solids.

• Like 1

Be sure to pound down the lid so it's tight all the way around.  In addition to shaking the bejeezis out of the can, invert it from time to time to give the pigment a gravity assist to get it off the bottom of the can.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...