Curtains in half scale?

rodentraiser

OK, all you people who do half scale - where on earth do you find your curtains? I tried 1:12 scale curtains for my shadowbox, but honestly, the windows I made were so small the cottage curtains I got looked like drapes. However, I figured half scale would fit perfectly - IF they existed! I feel like I've looked everywhere and I simply can't find curtains in half scale. Does anyone here know of any stores that carry them?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

I've been experimenting with paper for half scale curtains. For a long sheer curtain for the Chanticleer I'm using a tissue that's used in gift wrapping. I've also looked at paper lace for window treatments.

Also, stained glass can eliminate the need for curtains.

There is a half scale version of the Pretty Pleater tool. They show up in eBay periodically.

16 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

I've been experimenting with paper for half scale curtains. For a long sheer curtain for the Chanticleer I'm using a tissue that's used in gift wrapping. I've also looked at paper lace for window treatments.

That's clever.  I'll need to try that.  I also make a lot of shades.  Much easier to do than curtains.  Lace can be tricky because sometimes the pattern is so big it's way out of scale.  I am currently trying to figure out how to make Venetian blinds in half scale, as well as practicing with my Pretty Pleater for drapes using silk Shantung.

You can buy them on etsy and ebay - but it will be hard to find hat you want.

I have Sue Heaser's book on curtains and she has some easy no-sew options. And I love her window shade instructions. 

Is a window shade an option? They seem easy and lovely:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bc/76/a0/bc76a0ca7c6337a213619a2b2f30283b--kitchen-window-curtains-kitchen-windows.jpgbc76a0ca7c6337a213619a2b2f30283b--kitche

• Like 1

One of the problems I'm running into is in this shadowbox, I have an outside scene in all the windows, so blocking that scene is something I'm trying not to do. Most dollhouses don't have outside scenes, so it's not a big deal if there are shades and curtains covering the windows.

I ordered a small lace thingy to go across the top of the bedroom window - I figured I could cut that down a little.

I have cafe curtains for the kitchen. Unfortunately, they're not the kind that separate, so I may have to operate on those, too. Plus, they're way too large. I can hang the top of the cafe curtains all the way up to the ceiling and that will help with the length, but I have no idea what I will do with the width.

I'm looking for some simple drapes for the living room (the bathroom doesn't have a window - thank God!), but so far, I haven't seen any I like. I'm also questioning drapes, as I have a radiator under the window. I think I've finally decided on the old standby "Oh, heck, it's a dollhouse, who cares if the drapes frame the radiator?" as I've gotten so frustrated with looking for curtains.

I could, of course, always put the chair in the corner, take out the radiator and replace it with a table and lamp, but then the lamp blocks the view of the window. And I'd lose my corner knick knack shelf. If I could find a small (2" wide) floor standing knick knack shelf that wasn't a corner one, that would solve that problem, but I can't find that, either. Or at least not for a price I'm willing to spend.

Next time I make a shadowbox, maybe I'll pretend the people bought a outdated missile silo to live in and paint the entire inside gray.

you know what works surprisingly well? Paper! You can print anything you like and then pleat it as needed...I have seen people use printed paper knapkins as well. It all looked good. Just another idea since you can't find anything you like out there.