Winchester Mystery House: the movie

KathieB

I just saw the teaser for the movie made about the Winchester mystery house in San Jose starring Helen Mirren as Sarah Winchester. I don't often go to see a movie in a theater, but this one is definitely on my got-to-see list!  See the trailer here.

Oh Kathie I have heard of this house.  I want to go see it also after watching your trailer.  Are we still able to go visit it Pat.  Is it still there. I have to go research this now . lol  Just what I need, another thing to do today lol 

OH what a fascinating house, I just read about it.  Here is a photo of her I with her driver. It is the only know photo of her.  Look how small and normal the house was. This has been added to my bucket list 

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 8.24.17 AM.png

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

I just saw the teaser for the movie made about the Winchester mystery house in San Jose starring Helen Mirren as Sarah Winchester. I don't often go to see a movie in a theater, but this one is definitely on my got-to-see list!  See the trailer here.

Me too.  Love it.  One day I want to take the tour of the house.  We have family that live out there.

Ha ha - I just watched that trailer too.  Excuse me Holly - maybe that IS a spooky movie!  It didn't seem quite as scary back when I took the tour (maybe 1965) and possibly the fact that there were a lot of others with me kept it a little less ominous.

3 hours ago, cloudbound said:

I remember going to the Winchester Mystery House long ago and its not really 'creepy' - its more fascinating.  I hadn't heard of the upcoming movie but I will definitely want to see it too!  

We were just there for the Good Sam show. I was not creeped out either. I found it fascinating too. The house is light and airy on the inside. Not dark and gloomy. The architectural features were awesome.

2 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Went there many many moons ago.  Daughter took her kids there couple years ago.  I'd love to go back.  And yes, I'm thinking a Winchester type house with my spare parts.  One day......

Oh what a great idea Lawanda.  Heaven's knows we have a ton of extra parts 

• Like 1

Well I have a few dollhouses that have no stairs whatsoever - just because to me they took up too much room in a small space.  But there Miss Winchester went and put stairs leading to nothing.  And doors that also didn't open up to anything.  I think there may have even been a brick wall behind a door.  

• Like 1

It sound like a very interesting place to visit and what a wonderful dollhouse it would make.

Joanne I think you should go for it.

May I ask ,was the shell of her house always the same size or did she add wings and gradually enlarge it, if so I guess you could on forever, wow what a dollhouse, especially if bits didn't have to be from the same era etc

Just imagine what it must've been like before the 1906 earthquake that took the top 3 floors.  I've heard that when times were tough some people who'd had 3- and 4-story homes closed off the top floors and even removed some of them.  

• Like 1

This the door to nowhere. They don't allow photography on the inside. I have other pictures but they are not wanting to load.

When we visited this past month we got to do an extended tour that took us to the areas that were closed off after the 1906 quake. We got to got into the witches cap and the room with the mica wallpaper.

rsz_img_0435door to no where.jpg

• Like 1