Shingles

Thimble Hall

Thank you I didn't stir when I tested. The bits this morning look good there is no curl at all, so I may use the stain I have and not go to a redder one. I also have some gel stain I don't know if that is any good but I will try a tester with it too.

Holly these shingles are much thinner than others in the boxes I have, I tried the circular motion with the paper towel and they just came apart , I have a very gentle hand   so they clearly break easy, but with a brush, it was stiff brush  not soft as I said above, the soft one picked up too  much stainb .  I think between all the bits of advice and tests I am OK now at least as far as the painting goes.If I find they break as I am applying them I will use the others I have and scrap these.

Thank you all.

Do me a favor. After you apply the first two rows take a photo so Holly and I can see how you are doing. Remember to stagger them: start first row with a full tile, start second row with a half tile. Lay each row halfway up the previous row.

For the angle formed where the roof juts out over the front door I take a piece of scrap paper and lay one straight edge along the bottom edge of the min roof next to the seam where the two parts join and crease the paper along the join, then fold along the crease; this gives my the angle to cut away the sides of the shingles that will meet along there.

Well they are all stained, and the variation in the wood color looks good, it is just the wood grains  showing through the stain,on a tiny bit it looked odd.

Joanne that is interesting, I have opened a few boxes and these are thinner than the others, I am going to try now I have them stained but it is a good point to know.

Sable I will do that if , I know to stagger them and to put a part tile down first then cover it with the first row, I read to mark the roof with guide lines and Holly yes, I will make a template for the slope. I will leave it a couple of days to be sure they are thoroughly dry and let the smell go away a bit, then on my first good day I will go for it. I still have to send out for glue though.I am struggling with my rotten recurring chest infection again and not going out but I can get it on Amazon if it isn't around local, my daughter will go for me. We do have a Michaels here.

Holly I went online to find the  Probond but  on their website there were several and I didn't know which one. I tried Amazon Canada for Beacons quick grip and it was out of stock.

I have read all I can on the forum about shingling and liquid nails was mentioned as was E600.  I need to look a bit further afield , Home depot does not have any of the first ones , nor does Canadian Tire and I could not find it on the Michaels site, we don't have Menards. They have wood glues but so far everthing I have found is water based

Until you get a feel for controlling the glue straight from the bottle I recommend practicing with beads of glue along a Piece of waxed paper and either applying the glue to your shingles with a toothpick or lightly touching one edge of the shingle onto the glue bead and spreading the adhering glue down the back of the shingle with the toothpick, whichever works.  Once you have the bead thing worked out with your glue bottle you can apply the bead along the roof and the top of the preceding row of shingles and just zip along.  I find it helps every few rows to run a strip of painters' tape across the newly glued rows of shingles and clamp a length of scrap wood across them to help them stay in place and dry flat (they will want to curl a tad whilst the glue is wet, but will flatten as it dries.).

Holly I was surprised when this glue arrived as it is water clean up, I read somewhere for shingles to avoid that.

Re the bottle, I would not be able to hold the bottle up to the roof it is far too heavt to do that, I usually decant  glue into a tiny saucer and use a brush..

Thank you for the help. I won't be doing it today as I remembered I had not put the windows in and want to do that first

It isn't water based, which is what you don't want with shingles; and you have to clean it up before it sets for water to do the job, and even then if you don't get every bit out right then & there it will never come out of your clothes (and you can easily guess how I know this).

Apparently it  is water based Holly, it is a PVA glue, I went on the Titebond website to find out . All three of the Tietbond glues are water based, they have slightly different formulas which makes them slightly different, one is  inside only  which is  the Original red Label.. then the next one is somewhat waterproof so can be used outside for furniture etc and the third one can be used  on say cutting boards but they are all waterbased, they can be diluted and clean up is with water. I learned that if it a  is clean up  is with water ,then it is water based. and if not it is solvent based .  PVA glue comes out of dried up brushes with warm tap water. I run my brushes  under the tap with a bit of liqiuid soap until it softens then the strand pull off  after a couple of rinses the brush is good again. I have got PVA out of my clothes the same way , if you just put in the washer without first being softening   it will not come out in the wash, and if you put it thought the dryer  without processing it you will find it is there for life. I have cleaned a lot of PVA out of fabric like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Sable I am sorry but I forgot all about sending a picture after two rows

I have been doing these one row at a time, weighing them down   with quilt weights after every row and leaving them a day.I couldn't do more than one row as they moved too easily but have persevered, I have finished the main part and it is OK  no curling but it was very slow going and I would never use these very thin ones again.

Now I have another problem, the main part is complete but I still have the back to do and  the gable roof and the roof on the bay window  and I don't have enough There were so many that were just dust or broken bits in the box that I have run out. I have looked through all the boxes of kits I have and none of them are the same.  I have Houseworks shingles here but there are thicker.I would have to pull off all the thin ones and replace them for the roof to match.  So I am stuck now and not sure what to do.

16 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Sable I am sorry but I forgot all about sending a picture after two rows

I have been doing these one row at a time, weighing them down   with quilt weights after every row and leaving them a day.I couldn't do more than one row as they moved too easily but have persevered, I have finished the main part and it is OK  no curling but it was very slow going and I would never use these very thin ones again.

Now I have another problem, the main part is complete but I still have the back to do and  the gable roof and the roof on the bay window  and I don't have enough There were so many that were just dust or broken bits in the box that I have run out. I have looked through all the boxes of kits I have and none of them are the same.  I have Houseworks shingles here but there are thicker.I would have to pull off all the thin ones and replace them for the roof to match.  So I am stuck now and not sure what to do.

Is this a Greenleaf House I have some leftover from a Buttercup and a Author since on both I did the metal roof look on the A frame part  . I believe they are round on one side.

Let me know if you think they will work I'm happy to give them to you. I remember they were pretty thin. I can also post a pic. of them 

Nell, that is very kind of you. I have sent an email to Greenleaf to see if I can get more  but f I cant I will get back to you Thank you so much for the offer.

Samantha I also wondered about doing something different, I probably could on the window roof and maybe even on the gable roof but I think it may look odd on the back. I did manage to keep the main roof all the same , I had 11 good shingles left after doing it!!

I still haven't go my grout yet I think it has got lost in the mail and they are reshipping it so I can shelve the house for a while. By the way did you ever get your order from...oh crikey I can't remember the name,, that company who had the great sale on from the UK on lights and door etc, we both ordered and they told me they were waiting for an order to come in mine still  hasn't been shipped yet

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Nell, that is very kind of you. I have sent an email to Greenleaf to see if I can get more  but f I cant I will get back to you Thank you so much for the offer.

Samantha I also wondered about doing something different, I probably could on the window roof and maybe even on the gable roof but I think it may look odd on the back. I did manage to keep the main roof all the same , I had 11 good shingles left after doing it!!

I still haven't go my grout yet I think it has got lost in the mail and they are reshipping it so I can shelve the house for a while. By the way did you ever get your order from...oh crikey I can't remember the name,, that company who had the great sale on from the UK on lights and door etc, we both ordered and they told me they were waiting for an order to come in mine still  hasn't been shipped yet

Oh I didn't realise you had space still in the back to do as well. I'm sure Greenleaf will have what you are looking for. Yes I got my order about a week ago. It was missing three items and when I wrote to them to ask why, they said they were out of stock and they took the price off my carriage charge. ?? Bit weird, they should have just refunded the original transaction so I could be sure I got the refund. :ermm: I did get a lot of cool stuff for very cheap prices though. The table I just rehabbed in my gallery was one of the items I bought. It just would have been nice of them to let me know about the "out of stock" situation before they shipped to me, so I could have decided if I wanted to substitute something else.. shipping is so expensive to Australia I like to be able to make as big of a bulk order as I can when buying from the UK or the US. I've not encountered this problem with them before so I'm putting it down to being busy with the sale/Christmas... but I'm considering another order at the moment and if the same thing happens again, I'll likely shelve them as a preferred vendor. 

Hi Girls, Posting to Australia is expensive, I am so glad we purchased our Garfield when we did because it would be far too costly now. I bought it from Canada and postage was a tad more than the kit, BUT I loved it. I there a dollhouse following up in Brisbane?