Gallery Wall - Frame Mounting

third_hand

Howdy everyone!

I was wondering, how do folks mount their mini framed paintings and such? Is there a way to make these minis relatively easy to remove or switch out?

In the attic/bedroom of my Orchid house, I plan to fill the angles and empty wall space with framed paintings. This partly inspired by parlor gallery walls of yesteryear (as seen in the photo). How it would be best to mount these little treasures will affect whether I wallpaper or paint the attic interior. 

Any guidance is warmly welcome!

4111.vintagegallerywall.jpg-500x0.jpg

Edited by third_hand

1 hour ago, CheckMouse said:

I have made a lot of picture frames using the wood trim made to go around windows and/or doors. Just miter the corners and glue them together - makes great picture frames. 

Thanks CJ,

That's a good idea. I was thinking more along the lines of how folks put their (already made) frames up on the walls, but this is also helpful! I've heard some folks say that they glue frames directly to the interior, but I haven't heard about whether they'd painted or put up wallpaper. I also hoped there might be a less permanent way to put frames on the dh walls. 

Depending on the weight, Glue Dots work very well. They are available at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, in the glue section. The trick is to not touch them. Apply directly from the attached tape. They have temporary and permanent ones. I only have the temporary ones. They do not destroy wallpaper. Can't speak for the permanent ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

If it's temporary I use white poster putty.

Holly, this is a fantastic idea! :) Goodness, why didn't I think of that? 

Also, my father recommended using very small magnets and placing a thin strip of metal (to avoid altering depth) on the reverse of frames. He used to build ships and other models so he's much more metal-inclined.

I like the magnetic idea, I am using a magnets  to close the opening on my fairy house, as soon as I get it all lined up.  I dont want to put hinges on until I have more done on the inside.

magnets recessed into the wall would be nice for a gallery if you want to frequently change pictures, they make small really strong ones now

• Like 1

What you DO NOT want to use is that Mounting Tape!  It sticks well at first, but over time it releases and the pictures fall off the wall!  When I was building my miniature museum I hung some small things on the walls - very light, very small - and it looked great at first. After about 6 months I found the items on the floor. :(

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Minigirl said:

The poster putty has some oil in it...

It does?  I noticed dry spots when I temporarily removed the barstools in the pub, but nothing oily.  Would it matter if you're changing out one picture for another?

• Like 1

It does?  I noticed dry spots when I temporarily removed the barstools in the pub, but nothing oily.  Would it matter if you're changing out one picture for another?

The plastic tack stuff or plastic tac (can't remember how it was spelled) does leave a residue over a period of time on a flat finish painted wall.:cry: I have never used the blue putty stuff. What product do you use? Maybe it's something different than what I have experience with. Nope, wouldn't make a bit of difference to change out a picture.

The poster putty has some oil in it. Won't it stain the paper over time? This has been my experience on walls painted with flat paint.

• Like 1

Paula, I keep the poster putty out in the workshop.  I found it in the stationery/ office supply section of Wal Mart many years ago.  It's white and comes in a flat piece that's scored (sort of like a Hershey bar). I break off tiny pieces and knead them between my fingers until they're soft, then squish it flat and use just as little as will do the job.  I have never noticed that it feels oily at all; it has more of a chalky feel.

Yep, that sounds like what I used. Had to paint over the spots with kilz before I could repaint the room. Sometimes I use it to hang Holiday decor etc. And it does not leave a residue behind over a period of weeks. However, over a period of  about 10 years it was a different story.

On 10/31/2017, 1:11:47, CheckMouse said:

What you DO NOT want to use is that Mounting Tape!  It sticks well at first, but over time it releases and the pictures fall off the wall!  When I was building my miniature museum I hung some small things on the walls - very light, very small - and it looked great at first. After about 6 months I found the items on the floor. :(

I'm sorry to hear about your fallen minis. I must say, I find the idea of miniature museum so wonderful! It sounds like lots of fun. Would you be willing to share photos? :)

Thanks for all the insight everyone! I think, ultimately, it will best not to wallpaper the gallery wall (as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe); I'm going to go with a rustic white-on-wood look instead.

Still, I thought I should ask, has anyone had mounting experience (or any expedience, really) with Shizen paper? I'm mostly just curious. 

Thanks again everyone!

5 hours ago, third_hand said:
5 hours ago, third_hand said:

I'm sorry to hear about your fallen minis. I must say, I find the idea of miniature museum so wonderful! It sounds like lots of fun. Would you be willing to share photos? :)

Eli, here is the link to my album here on Greenleaf, showing the Miniature Museum. Had lots of fun with it! 
Miniature Museum

• Like 1