USA Dollhouse Design

Minigirl

Are there any US dollhouse manufacturers that don't use an open back design? Open back equals dust collector. I like the way the British houses are made with a door. I am working on the Greenleaf Orchid and have decided how I will close the back but any suggestions on how to close the roof? So far the only thing I have thought of is a piece of plexi or polycarbonate hinged to the roof but then would it open and stay open when in use. haven't quite figured out the mechanics of the shingles being in the way.

I purchase poster frames and use the backing board as a work surface and the clear thin plastic is easily cut to size to make my dust covers. It is attached with Velcro strips. Others have attached channel mounding along the sides and insert the plastic sheet in the channels. I think I'm going to try that on my current house. I really like how I can see into the house and everything stays dust free.

• Like 2

Thank you!  Yes, I intend to use a channel and now that I think of it, I may be able to put a channel across the bottom of the roof too.

Thanks for the link Carrie, now if they would just do that on a big Victorian, I'd be in business!

I used channel on my quilt shop room box to hold the Plexiglas panel. Topped it with a removable piece of channel for a finished frame appearance. I stained it the same color as the wood flooring.

I think for houses with irregular openings, lighter weight poster frame plastic would be easy to cut. I think I'd use tiny magnets for a flush fit. It seems to me that the thickness of velcro would permit air and dust to seep in around the edges. One magnet could be set flush into the frame of the house and the other glued on the outside of the plastic for a good seal.

• Like 1

I have made a lower back panel to the little Sugarplum I am working on at the moment ,The new wall  is decorated inside and out like the rest of the house and it t just lifts off. I am going to do the same with the roof part too but  I am going to hinge that.  On the lower floor it gives me a whole wall to place things against too  which is good because there isn't a blank wall in the house at all, fireplace and two windows on the other three sides I don't much care for the open backs .

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017, 6:23:03, Sable said:

I purchase poster frames and use the backing board as a work surface and the clear thin plastic is easily cut to size to make my dust covers. It is attached with Velcro strips. Others have attached channel mounding along the sides and insert the plastic sheet in the channels. I think I'm going to try that on my current house. I really like how I can see into the house and everything stays dust free.

Hi, Sable.  Can the plastic from the poster frame be cut using an Xacto knife?  Also, do you get your frames from someplace like Michaels or would a dollar store have them?

1 hour ago, mks said:

Hi, Sable.  Can the plastic from the poster frame be cut using an Xacto knife?  Also, do you get your frames from someplace like Michaels or would a dollar store have them?

Maybe I used a ulitity knife but a new Xacto blade should work. I got mine at Hobby Lobby, Walmart has them too. I think it went for $19 but was on sale for $9. 36”x24”.  I don’t know about dollar stores.