Has anyone used this magnetic gluing jig?

Goldenrodfarm

Yes, I have had one for many years but did not use it as it was too small for my railroad models. Now that I am building dollhouse miniatures, I use it all the time. It is great for keeping things square. I have used it for furniture and windows. It would be good for doors also.

John

• Like 2

I have it! I used it a bit for furniture--I thought it was good. It took a little getting used to the magnets. They are very strong! I bought an extra set of magnets and glad I did.

now then--I LOVE this jig for building 1:48 scale. Can't live without it. It's also easy to clean glue off of. Fantastic for smaller scale furniture too.

I am glad to have it --but I have heard some folks talking about an easy diy version easily built from Home Depot items. 

I will add a resounding YES!

I have had one for at least 20 years, use it regularly, and am planning to get a second one. 

PS:  Shop at MicroMark.  They have been supporting the miniature industry for years. They have so many wonderful tools!

• Like 1

I ordered it from micromark today :drool2:  hope their shipping doesn’t take too long!  I got an extra set of magnets too, I am going to do some cutting today so I will be ready to glue when it gets here!  This will be a big improvement over all the things I usually use to prop up gluing projects!

• Like 3

I made a home-built one for my micro-minis - only 3"x5" - designed for my Minis-On-The-Go kit.  I started with a plastic picture/document frame.  However, after using it for awhile I have discovered that it is not as precise and perfect as my larger metal one from MicroMark.  I have started using Legos to help square it up inside the frame. 

My recommendation would be to put out the money for the good one and don't waste time and money on a simpler one. Minis have to be exact.  In RL if something is off by a silly-millimeter no one notices.  In miniatures, that silly-millimeter isn't so silly anymore - it can ruin the whole thing! 

Great topic, it seems a good idea and I was going to order my circular saw thingy from them today as a coincidence so I can add this one..thank you I need good tools.,

That is the great thing about this forum there is always some one that give you the answers. With no shops or shows nearby and new to serious woodworking I would have no idea of these things without all your help so another thank you to you all.  You're a great bunch

I bought one recently because it was recommended in the Judee Williamson book for making your own beds. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. A little sticker shock when I saw what micro mark charged me for shipping...but I thought for the price at least they would ship it quickly.....no....didn't arrive for several weeks. 

9 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I bought one recently because it was recommended in the Judee Williamson book for making your own beds. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. A little sticker shock when I saw what micro mark charged me for shipping...but I thought for the price at least they would ship it quickly.....no....didn't arrive for several weeks. 

That's strange, I usually got my orders from them within a couple of weeks at most.

I meant to add that you can always use clamps with your gluing jig to hold things steady whilst the glue dries:

double bed

Well, after reading this thread I ordered one yesterday from Micro Mark!  LOL  It has been on my wishlist for a long time but knowing that I will soon be dealing with another stair rehab I asked myself "What are you waiting for!?"  

• Like 1

Has anyone used the device called 3rd hand or helping hand? It's a contraption with a few holding clips and magnifying glass. Various price ranges depending on quality I guess..thinking of getting one, 

IMG_6253.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Has anyone used the device called 3rd hand or helping hand? It's a contraption with a few holding clips and magnifying glass. Various price ranges depending on quality I guess..thinking of getting one, 

I got one from Harbor Freight. I haven't really used it yet, but my teenage boys can't keep their hands off of it! They are cheap enough there that you would be able to tell if an expensive one might be worth the investment.

2 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Has anyone used the device called 3rd hand or helping hand?

I used it when painting teeny nativity figures for Marie Laveau's home altar. Handy for any kind of micro work, I should think.