Did Everyone But Me Know About Michael's?

rodentraiser

16 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I just read that Michael's has a senior discount of 10% for everyone who is 55 and older? Am I the last one to know about this? Anyone know if HBS has a senior discount?

Oh, really?  I guess I'll have to remind them of that next time I go.

• Like 1

When we shopped at Michael's, I always let Lloyd do the checkout. He usually managed to squeeze at least two discounts and sometimes three out of them. I stood a few feet away and pretended I didn't know him. :D 

As I recall, the senior discount is only good on certain days of the week. Tuesday? Wednesday? I've forgotten.

Edit: I just did a quick Google. Turns out the 10% senior discount is good every day. :) 

1 minute ago, Jeannine said:

Most places here have a seniors discount but usually on one specified day of the week , some of them only have it one day a month.  

Michael's is every day, as it turns out.

I would certainly agree with the pay raises for staff

If I get a discount  from something  I bank the savings  into my Givings account , and points on grocery bills etc are never cashed in I let them accrue then they get donated to  things like the quake in Haiti, the grocery shop I mainly use matches any donated points  given to a charity.

• Like 2

V V gives seniors 30% off on seniors day..Tuesdays  They also have a system where you join online and every time you go through checkout you accumulate points which you cash in whenever.

I rarely shop at Michaels, I did a couple of weeks ago and bought a ton of paints, no one mentioned it at check out and it is rather obvious in my case so maybe the Canadian ones don't do it or they don't ask which is odd here as most shops do. Mine is a strange store though, it has a  really miserable ,atmosphere, no one seems to smile, it is a pity as I would spend a lot more in there , as it is I only go if I absolutely have to.. Thanks for the discount tip

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

no one mentioned it at check out

I don't recall anyone mentioning discounts at checkout at Michael's. I think you need to ask. Lloyd always hit them with senior, educator, and military and smile a lot. Depending on the checkout clerk, he'd sometimes get all three. :D 

*sigh*  That's our Lloyd!  Jeannine, the employees at the Michael's I've been to (one in Pensacola, one in Daphne and one in Mobile) don't smile, either; and I have never been told about any senior discount (and except for my hair, it shows!).

Maybe it is not a good company to work for. It is never busy either and it is huge. I got some expensive baking trays from them about three months ago with a 40 0r 50 off, my daughter and her husband went in together and each bought one as the coupon was good for 1 purchase only. The clerk questioned it but my daughter said we are married but each need one and smiled and they gave them to her. It is the only craft store anywhere near me I think all the independents have gone under, I found just recently there is a mini shop in Vancouver and they have a website I was quite excited  so I looked. I will not name them as it  was terrible,  I was so disappointed.

If I go South and cross the border can someone tell me if there is anything worth driving to in say Bellingham, or maybe even as far as Seattle if it is a good shop.

Thank you Kelly I will do that. It doesn't seem so long ago that I regularly drove to Seattle, in fact for several months ,twice a week ,I drove to Camano Island to take a class, now I am lucky if I drive the 25 minutes to the border for pick up but I am working on it, trying to push the boundaries a bit.

• 1 month later...

I didn't know about the discount at Michaels... My brother in law's best friend was a buyer for Michaels for 2 decades. She traveled all over to decide/buy for their inventories. She had lots of fun. 

Kroger has the senior discountt and also Free freebie Friday. 

Michael's has several discounts ... educator, military, and senior. They will also accept coupons from competitors if there is a competitor store in the area with certain restrictions. (Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin, Joanne's, AC Moore) See more here.