Help! This is Boring!

That's a cool roof. Sometimes if there is something I'm dreading and no hard deadline, I'll set a really modest goal. I was overwhelmed with all the thank you notes after my wedding, so I said 2 a day no matter what. They were done in a few weeks. My motto is, forward is forward, even it's a tiny step in that direction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MiniMaven said:

My motto is, forward is forward, even it's a tiny step in that direction.

Yep. The Fly Lady says to set your kitchen timer* for 15 minutes to devote to a task. Amazing how much can be accomplished in that amount of time. :) 

*Anyone use a kitchen timer any more? I rely on the timer on my phone. Oy, technology!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Yep. The Fly Lady says to set your kitchen timer* for 15 minutes to devote to a task. Amazing how much can be accomplished in that amount of time. :) 

*Anyone use a kitchen timer any more? I rely on the timer on my phone. Oy, technology!

I still use one...I have a really retro one with little hearts on it. It lets out a loud, obnoxious ring--my phone has nothing on it!

Edited by MiniMaven
  • Like 1

I use the timer on the microwave; it takes the same time to nuke four strips of turkey bacon to crispness as to brew a 3-cu French press pot of coffee.  As our Tracy say, "Inch by inch it's a cinch, but by the yard it's hard"

I got some of the "candy" and "frosting" added in the past couple of days. I am really liking the collage clay - any of the oopsies are totally my learning curve and not a problem with the clay. It seems to go a long way, too! We'll see how it holds up. I am having to stop often and let things set, as I keep bumping into wet stuff! :fear:

script>?taken-by=jodihippler23559693_874050726085324_599373910044964

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I got some of the "candy" and "frosting" added in the past couple of days. I am really liking the collage clay - any of the oopsies are totally my learning curve and not a problem with the clay. It seems to go a long way, too! We'll see how it holds up. I am having to stop often and let things set, as I keep bumping into wet stuff! :fear:

script>?taken-by=jodihippler23559693_874050726085324_599373910044964

It's getting more adorable by the day. :D

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

It looks so scrumdiliumcious .  I want to make one so badly but I don't think I'd make it in time for Christmas.

How about just a really small two or three day project just for fun? Here's an example of a mini house you could easily make into a gingerbread:

http://www.alphastamps.com/Collage_Supplies-Die-Cut_Shrines_&_3D_Items/c4_207/p21128/House_Ornament/product_info.html

http://www.alphastamps.com/blog/?p=16206

KBatsel16putz3-500.jpg

Or a Christmas wagon for a travelling Santa?

http://www.alphastamps.com/Collage_Supplies-Die-Cut_Shrines_&_3D_Items/c4_207/p20636/Bathing_Machine_Kit/product_info.html

BMmain_1136med.jpg

Or a Christmas Tree scene inside a gingerbread encased greenhouse?

http://www.alphastamps.com/Collage_Supplies-Die-Cut_Shrines_&_3D_Items/c4_207/p20364/Conservatory_-_1:12_Scale/product_info.html

conservatorychipMAINmed.jpg

Do a little something so you don't lose an opportunity while you're feeling inspired!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Thanks Sam! It's a little sloppier than I was hoping, but it's going to have to do! I don't have time for perfection! :ohyeah:

It's difficult to keep real frosting precise, so some sloppiness is to be expected. It certainly doesn't detract from the overall adorableness. :) 

• Like 1

One of the wool-gathering moments found me thinking about building my 1:48 Greenleaf village kits as gingerbread houses; but then I could only put them out at Christmas, and I already have the White Orchid and a crèche set for that.

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

One of the wool-gathering moments found me thinking about building my 1:48 Greenleaf village kits as gingerbread houses; but then I could only put them out at Christmas, and I already have the White Orchid and a crèche set for that.

My White Orchid Christmas house is out all year around. My Halloween-themed Haunted Hangout is out all year around. Don't see why a gingerbread house would have to hide in the off season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Love all the new rainbow touches, Jodi! They're really popping against the white. Looks yummy so far. Keep going!

Thanks Cynthia! I have lots more layers and detail to add. Just hope I know when it's enough before it's too much! :ohyeah:

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The gingerbread village idea is awesome! I hope you do decide to do it!

5 hours ago, KathieB said:

It's difficult to keep real frosting precise, so some sloppiness is to be expected. It certainly doesn't detract from the overall adorableness. :) 

I keep looking at rel life gingerbread houses to remind myself that the imperfections are part of what makes them so cute. There is one line of "frosting" I'll be scraping off today, but so far the rest is going to stand as is. I'm making a gum drop light fixture today - hoping that comes out cute!

5 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Thanks Cynthia! I have lots more layers and detail to add. Just hope I know when it's enough before it's too much! :ohyeah:

There's such a thing as too much with a gingerbread house?  I baked the parts for a real gingerbread house for Christmas year before last and my guys had most of it eaten before I even started the frosting!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KathieB said:

Sloppy shmoppy.. but I agree with Kathie, any wobbly lines just add to the frosting's authenticity. :D 

4 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I love the look of the new candy, it looks so much like a real gingerbread house!  The roof tiles came out so well!  

Thanks Barb! I really wanted it to look like a real gingerbread house!

33 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

There's such a thing as too much with a gingerbread house?  I baked the parts for a real gingerbread house for Christmas year before last and my guys had most of it eaten before I even started the frosting!

Sounds delicious! I never have made a real one. My kids and I made them one year with graham crackers when they were little. Just canned frosting too but they were so proud of them they waited until everyone in the family saw them before they devoured them!

25 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Sloppy shmoppy.. but I agree with Kathie, any wobbly lines just add to the frosting's authenticity. :D 

Thanks Sam! I am not steady handed at all, but luckily with this style I can get away with it for the most part!