Help! This is Boring!

From my fellow mini friends who get board and then move on to new projects leaving the unfinished ones to collect dust and shoot nasty looks at you as you coldly walk by them in favor of newer and more exciting projects - I Need Your Help!  :death:

In whatever way you are so inclined, I ask very little - just a little good will, a positive wish sent my way, or fervent prayers, your choice. :please:

These paperclay roof shingles are taking soooooo long and they are sooooo boring   :sleep_1: that I am beginning to fantasize about other minis! I am teetering on the edge of minaultry! Again! :doh:

Please help! I can't take any more guilt! Help me solder on!  :salute:  Encourage me!  :cheer:  Placate me!   :secret:  Pray for me!    Threaten me!  :bruce: Whatever works!

I worked for hours and only got two rows done today!  :roflmao:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4dCHUCWfcMw/WfttEOnEIyI/AAAAAAAAGDY/WhwI_dc75qIInXO7CY8zDKDlYovZv8ZyQCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_6281.JPG

I need to have this finished by the holidays! I know! Quit typing and get back to work!

Rant concluded.

Thank you. :thankyou:

• Like 2

The roof looks beautiful so far, The front is almost finished. I can't wait to see it finished. 

When I am doing something I hate, like ironing, I make these little deals with myself......For example:(Me talking to myself)  "If you iron two shirts, you can browse online for 20mins"....Kinda dorky but it works. Not out loud, cause my kids already think I'm crazy....:eekout:

(((hugs))))

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

The roof looks beautiful so far, The front is almost finished. I can't wait to see it finished. 

When I am doing something I hate, like ironing, I make these little deals with myself......For example:(Me talking to myself)  "If you iron two shirts, you can browse online for 20mins"....Kinda dorky but it works. Not out loud, cause my kids already think I'm crazy....:eekout:

(((hugs))))

Thanks Carrie! That is a great idea! Maybe a bite of Ben & Jerry's for every row I complete?

My kids used to think I was crazy, too. Wait... They still do. Nevermind. :D

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NellBell said:

I was going to say move inside the house and make some more decor But I see you have done some of the inside .Soo Hopefully this will help This house is Darling and I can't wait to see the end result . 

That is also a great idea, Nell! I do have the bedroom left to do, but I keep thinking it might be better to have at least the outside finished for the holidays. My real problem is no self discipline! Maybe I need to find some good music or TV to put on to get me in the xone again...

10 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

BTW, those shingles look like sweet, sugary heaven....a little bit of twinkle from glitter will look like sugar granules.....

Okay - I was thinking clear glitter glue on top of the cookies, piped frosting for the edges, then candy pieces in the exposed middles. What do you think?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Okay - I was thinking clear glitter glue on top of the cookies, piped frosting for the edges, then candy pieces in the exposed middles. What do you think?

Mmmmm yummy!... I'm on my way over.:eatyum:

Now listen, you must not stop and listen to the siren call of other houses. You mustn't! We are all waiting to see the finished brilliance of this wonderful cottage... You can't disappoint us... Now that I've layered on the guilt :D I'll tell you that I get bored with these kind of jobs all the time.. Usually I like to have the TV or radio on in the background to keep me company. I also make deals with myself. Finish this wall before lunch. Finish the tiling and then some Internet shopping time. Bribing yourself is surprisingly effective.:hehe:

8 minutes ago, Sable said:

Just one more day on the roof and you’ll have such a great feeling of accomplishment. You can do it! You’re almost there. Persevere!

Thanks Sable! You are right about that feeling.  I may just make a pot of coffee and work for a few more hours...

8 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

They are looking fantastic Jodi!  When I am doing something that is boring, I listen to an audio book, takes my mind off the repetitive task and allows me to finish it without wondering off.  They do look like a lot of work, but it will be worth it, so no cheating! 

Thanks Barb! You are right - I need to find something interesting to concentrate on and forget I'm doing something repetitive. I'll try very hard to fall in love again!

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I'm no help; I zone out when I'm doing something boring like shingles, and before I know it I'm finished.

That is helpful, though, Holly. I just need to find the right thing to zone out to. It's been a long and busy week, so being out of gas is probably a big part of the problem.

6 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Mmmmm yummy!... I'm on my way over.:eatyum:

Now listen, you must not stop and listen to the siren call of other houses. You mustn't! We are all waiting to see the finished brilliance of this wonderful cottage... You can't disappoint us... Now that I've layered on the guilt :D I'll tell you that I get bored with these kind of jobs all the time.. Usually I like to have the TV or radio on in the background to keep me company. I also make deals with myself. Finish this wall before lunch. Finish the tiling and then some Internet shopping time. Bribing yourself is surprisingly effective.:hehe:

Okay Sam, for you - I'll keep going! It's always easier to do it for someone else! 

I am going to go look for something that will take my mind off the work while I'm working. Life just gets more crazy from now until the holidays are over, so it's now or never!!!

And, I am going to keep that reward idea in mind to!

Gosh I am so envious they are perfect and you are almost there, you are doing a fabulous job , maybe try to divide what you have left to do and just do that each day, I don't think you need the advice actually the job you are doing speaks for itself,, well done to you, plan yourself a special treat when the last piece goes on then post the picture again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I think you better be careful...someone may try to eat it. It sounds spectacular. (When it is done, I think you should submit it to Miniature Collector Magazine. The whole house has so many neat details. I think it is one of the best Christmas houses I have seen.

I have been buying faux little candies from Hobby Lobby, and one of those pressed card board houses. I want to do a little gingerbread house because of your house!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

Gosh I am so envious they are perfect and you are almost there, you are doing a fabulous job , maybe try to divide what you have left to do and just do that each day, I don't think you need the advice actually the job you are doing speaks for itself,, well done to you, plan yourself a special treat when the last piece goes on then post the picture again.

Thanks Jeannine! I am really not sure they are going to turn out and look like the intended idea. But hey ho - it's all about trying new things, right? At least I keep comforting myself with that thought! :D

41 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I think you better be careful...someone may try to eat it. It sounds spectacular. (When it is done, I think you should submit it to Miniature Collector Magazine. The whole house has so many neat details. I think it is one of the best Christmas houses I have seen.

I have been buying faux little candies from Hobby Lobby, and one of those pressed card board houses. I want to do a little gingerbread house because of your house!

Wow Carrie! That is so nice of you to say, and it means so much to me! Thank you for your kindness!

I am so excited that you are going to do a gingerbread house too! It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside how we inspire each other! Please post photos! And Caroline of Cinderella Moments just finished one, too - it's adorable! And, Emily, our FOV here on the forum, did a couple with her mom last year. Just search 'Emily Morganti gingerbread' in your search engine and it comes up. Great for inspiration, materials and how to!

• Like 2

:cucumber::carrot::banana:

Yay! Good for you! You can do it girl. You've got this!

:D

Baby steps will get you there in the end. Before you know it it'll be all done and the boredom will melt away, under the warm fuzzy feeling of a spectacular roof.

So glad to see progress ... keep up the good work. As our moderator Tracy (Minis on the Edge) says, "It's hard by the yard, but a cinch by the Inch." (Or something like that. I think I misquote it differently each time I refer to it.) At any rate, one shingle at a time ... :) 

• Like 2

Paper clay, hmmm? Well, I don't know if this will work for paper clay, but Greenleaf suggest a way to put the shingles on row at at time (with apologies to Kathie :)).

You take a right edge ruler and put down a long piece of say, masking tape (sticky side up) by the top of it (but not right along the edge). The straight edge is there to keep your shingles in a straight row, but they don't have to be laid on the tape itself perfectly. The tape is just a way to get them all to the roof.

Anyway, then you lay your shingles down on the tape side by side. After they're attached, I guess you can run glue along those shingles or run a line of glue along the roof, but anyway, you lift the tape up with the shingles on it and lay the shingles on the roof and when the glue is dry, lift the tape from the shingles.

I've never done this but if anyone else has, let us know how well it works.

11 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Paper clay, hmmm? Well, I don't know if this will work for paper clay, but Greenleaf suggest a way to put the shingles on row at at time (with apologies to Kathie :)).

You take a right edge ruler and put down a long piece of say, masking tape (sticky side up) by the top of it (but not right along the edge). The straight edge is there to keep your shingles in a straight row, but they don't have to be laid on the tape itself perfectly. The tape is just a way to get them all to the roof.

Anyway, then you lay your shingles down on the tape side by side. After they're attached, I guess you can run glue along those shingles or run a line of glue along the roof, but anyway, you lift the tape up with the shingles on it and lay the shingles on the roof and when the glue is dry, lift the tape from the shingles.

I've never done this but if anyone else has, let us know how well it works.

Thanks Kelly! That sounds brilliant! I think I will definitely try this method on the wood shingles next time I use them. My poor Bigfoot shop roof could have really benefited from this! Lucky for me I got away with doing it over several weeks and stuffed moss in to help make it look like it was SUPPOSED to be old and crooked! :D

I am finding with the paperclay tiles that I have to lay them on one at a time to center in between the previous row. There is some shrinkage as it drys - it varies depending on how long it takes me to complete a row and then get back to the next row. So the fresher tiles are sometimes wider than the originally placed, dryer (and shrinked) tiles so adjustments have to be made as I go. The hubs has a 6 hour round trip errand to do today (he's leaving soon) so I am hoping to use all of that time to roof. Tomorrow, I have a whole mess of family coming over, so today is my only chance for a few days. Wish me luck!

It's looking soooooo cute and you're almost done! I have a tradition of whenever I shingle a house I put on Pride and Prejudice. Maybe put a movie on that you can enjoy without having to look at the tv. 

• Like 1