Stand/table for Lawbre Glen Cove Villa

oldhousefan

My dream house arrived last week finally!  I was just wondering what people use as a table to display their houses?  This one is a big girl at 48" wide and 21" deep, so a standard console type table is out.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I will try to post pictures of it if the site will let me.  It's currently taking up half my dining room table right now! It opens in front and back, with rooms accessible only from either side (front and back) so i would need wheels.  Oh, and it weighs about 90lbs give or take (at least UPS charged me for 90lbs).  Would love to know what everyone else does or any ideas?

Lol no its not done, it came fully assembled with the exterior done, the trim, etc. windows, widow's walk, chimney still have to be attached, I just don't know how long I can go without a dining room table.  The interior is untouched but came with stairs, railings, etc.  No wiring yet, so the wire tape odyssey will begin soon.  I get nervous just thinking about doing the wiring!  It's really hard and takes me forever to make decisions, so I'll have to decide where I want fixtures, outlets, etc.  No easy task for someone as changeable as I am!  I would love some sort of cart or table on wheels to work on it from, but have no idea what to get other than making something!  I guess that's one more design decision I'll have to grapple with lol.

I have my Queen Anne (60" wide) and my Foxhall Manor (72" wide) on 30" x 72" Correll folding tables.  They come in many different sizes, colors and with adjustable height. Just be sure to get one that is the high pressure 3/4" high density particle board core.   I had one of the 5/8" thick tables and it was kinda flimsy with a house on it.  I added casters.  Congratulations on your Lawbre it is a beautiful house!

download (2).jpg

I generally try to find second hand tables at the local thrift stores or yard sales. The folding tables are a great idea!  When it comes time to do my huge Hofco Americana I think I am going to have my DH build me a special table for it.

• 1 year later...

I would love to see pictures of your Lawbre, but I am relatively new to this website/discussion page and I am still figuring out how it works, I cant even upload a pic because it tells me its too "large to do so....I just made a down payment on a Lawbre Glen Cove, and cannot wait to see it in person.  I know this is a feed from last year, but what model is your Lawbre?"

• Like 1

I know there are other ways to resize photos.....I happen to use the Paint program- click on resize, and then change the percentage of horizontal & vertical from 100% to 50% or 75%.  That usually works for me on my PC.

You can look on Craig;s List for a cheap sofa table. They come in all widths and lengths and are usually high enough to put large dollhouse on top. You can also get some wood (I recommend a half inch thick) and have it cut to the size of your house. If the sofa table is too narrow, the board can go on the table and the house can go on the board.

A lot of sofa tables also have shelves and drawers underneath as well. Good for storing mini stuff.

2 hours ago, Genevieve A said:

I cant even upload a pic because it tells me its too "large to do so.

I use http://www.picresize.com/  to resize on my desk top. Once you learn the quirks of this site, it is easier. @1martinimommaboght a Lawbre as well. Here is a link to her album http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=8196

• Like 1

I have the Rosedawn, which to me is the Rosedown because I lived in Louisiana for a few years and this house is a replica of that house.

Is this your first house, or are you an seasoned builder?

I got my house second hand from a pastor at a church when a congregation member had passed and the family donated the house to his church.  I feel lucky to have had the chance to own this house.  But, I will tell you, these houses are big and heavy.  They take up a lot of real estate in your real house.  I haven't worked on this one yet, as I was already working on another house when I bought it.   It's day will come.  It's sitting on a table from IKEA in my office right now.   I have been collecting wallpapers, furniture, and accessories for it as I see things that will work for this house.

Another forum member, miniaddicted has two Lawbre's.  (I may be wrong, but I think it's two)  She has the Chateau for sure and she has an album of her journey with rehabbing it.  I can't seem to find it right now, but someone else will help you find it.   

I hope you start an album so we can see your progress on your new house.  The Glen Cove has such beautiful architecture.  It's a grand house for sure.  Have fun and enjoy the journey.

Hi Genevieve!

I started this thread last year almost to the day and I still have not figured out how to post pictures!  I finally have a table for the dollhouse (Christmas present that husband made) and I am presently, slowly, reluctantly tape wiring it.  Or, at least my husband and son are, when I can get them too.  I hate Hate HATE doing the electrical work, so I've been foisting that job on others, lol.  I have not posted any pictures yet, but hope to as soon as my "guys" (reluctant laborers) finish the wiring.  I keep changing my mind on outlets, locations, etc. so they are thrilled whenever I ask for "one more favor".  In the meantime, I have been working on the grand staircase.  It came with one, but it was kind of plain for what I always hoped the only Victorian (life-size or otherwise) I will ever own would have, so I have been working for a while on newel posts, balusters, fanning out the first step and curving the bannisters.  My Glen Cove Villa did not come with the greenhouse/conservatory, so I have been flipping and flopping back and forth whether to get one, or seal up the doorway. I will try to post pictures soon, someone posted them on Pinterest (from eBay) and its my exact, precise house.  I am not good at computers (or wiring, technology, math, science...) or I would post a link.  There is a magnificent Glen Cove Villa with pictures on Bonnie Broel or House of Broel's website.  If you flip through the gallery on that site, you will see it!  Amazing house!  Good luck with her, she's a beauty and I will try to post pics soon!

Gina

Hi Gina!

We seem to have plenty of things in common, because I hate electrical wiring too and opted for battery operated lighting on my Beacon Hill even if its a huge pain!  I have to learn because I love the idea of just lighting up my dollhouses in an instant!  I DID post a pic finally so I am happy for that, seems that some of my pics are less than the required mb's (or whatever the heck they're called!)   My Glen Cove doesn't come with the conservatory either, but they WERE selling two of them on ebay just a few weeks ago at reasonable prices but they were snagged up within days, so I have to be on the lookout, and will inform you too, since I'm the self proclaimed ebay queen and have amassed quite the miniature collection from old estate finds and ebay deals. I have been known to wake up at 4 am (I live in Greece during the winter where there is a seven hour time difference beteen the Eastern US) to bid and take it personally when someone dares outbid me, lol.  I am very familiar with Bonnie Broel, not only for her "affordable" dollhouses (Insert smirk and chuckle) she's trying to sell, but I also googled and read every article I could find on her, she seems like my sort of gal!  I could never sell those beauties though!  She was the first to inspire me to seek out a lawbre and I had my sights on the Shadowcliff first but then came across (On this site in fact) the Glen Cove that was posted to sell for 35,000. I loved what she did with the interior so I went on a search for one, and luckily found the exact color that I wanted to.  It's nfinished inside but all the better for me to decorate the way I want!  I hope you can post pictures of your lawbre very soon, would LOVE to see pictures.   Have you ever heard of the Majestic Mansion line, those dollhouses are amazing too. Does your husband think you are nuts, like mine does?  I have joked that if Intervention ever did a dollhouse Addict segment, they would choose me to be their first feature!  Have a great weekend!!  --Genevieve

Lol Genevieve! I hear you about the Ebay thing!  My husband (yes, he thinks I am "off') calls it "spite bidding" on my part, and I completely understand your righteous indignation.  I, too, am appalled that some stranger would have the gall to bid on something that is rightfully mine!!!! It's tantamount to outright thievery!  But, for me, its getting worse than Ebay.  While the tape wire odyssey is going on, I "collect".  My dear husband, with a subtle cough, says I "hoard".  I think he may be right, although I would never tell him so (maybe I just did lol).  Large Rubbermaid storage boxes  are starting to accumulate, full of tiny treasures.  There's stuff in there (beautiful and wonderful) that I'm sure I forgot I even bought, so once the house is ready, I'll have my own private holiday party and unwrap all of my treasures and not invite any other members of my family who make fun of me, hurl snide comments about the "monkey on my back that looks like the Psycho house".  Oh well, they say admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery...

I have a lot of vintage furniture from my dollhouse that I had when I was a girl, mostly Sonia Messer, that I can't wait to unpack.  My own childhood house "died" in the flooding from Hurricane Sandy, but the furniture has been safely tucked away in the attic for a while now.  Not sure which Rubbermaid box (more like "tub" really lol) its in, though. Sometimes I watch that show "Hoarders" just to validate that I'm not there yet, it makes me feel like Martha Stewart when I see how much stuff they have, and gives me a false sense of superiority lol.  You, too, have a wonderful weekend.  Greece must be magical, we're settling in here for a New York fall and then winter.  Blech!  Sun and the Aegean sounds like a lovely alternative!

Gina

Oh Gina...I just don't know where to start on my dolhouse obsession, trying not only to explain it but to track every milestone and memory!  It all started about ten years ago when i just wanted to build (or buy) a sweet little Beacon Hill and furnish it.  Thats all, nine rooms, and it would be the pride and joy, the crowing glory of my foyer of the house we were building.  Then I got pregnant and put it off until my daughter (and child number 3) was old enough to understand and not get in every little piece.  I said I would allot 100 to 150 bucks to furnigsh every room, which in retrospect seems utterly laughable now)  About four years ago I started collecting, I bought a Beacon Hill dollhouse kit (Which is still comfortably resting on the floor of my basement because I found a gorgeous custom made one on ebay, pictured below!)  Thus my ebay obsession started, and started big!!!  I became familiar with names such as Sonia Messer (Two gorgeous laced cribs from her, omg to die for), Bespaq, Marcia Backstrom, Heidi Ott, Ruetter...I became adept on bidding, which I never had done before my dollhouse obsession.  Because of the time difference I would wake up at the most odd hours of the night to bid (Am I the only one that knows the secret of last 30 second bidding?  Why in the world do people bid on the first day??!!) I had accumulated a massive amount of minis in two years' time, and the catch was they were sent to my parents house in Pennsylavia, who in turn would either bring them to me when they would visit or when I would---twice they just made two big 'ol boxes and would ship them to me, it was like my birthday, chirstmas, and scholastic book club month time (remember those?) all rolled into one fabulous mini crate!   My mother scolded me to stop, and semi- joked that the neighbors thought she was having an affairwith the UPS guy. I filled my purshase list with estate finds, museum quality furnishings, bought a custom made french Boudior warbrobe filled with purses and corsets from Paris, an assembled Garfield, a furnished New York brick townhouse, an assembled Brimbles Merchantile, street peddlers from the now defunct Smallsea Dollhouse museum in Carmel Ca.... and now put a down payment on a Glen Cove and locking in a assembled Queen Anne...you can say I am a bit obsessed!   The irony is that besides the Beacon Hill, I have not seen any of my other houses yet, they are either waiting for me at my parents house, or waiting to be picked up!!! (By the way for anyone that doesnt live in the US but visiting and wants to take a dollhouse back with them you CAN board it as luggage!) I can't explain it into words my love for miniatures.  My dear sweet father passed away four months ago, was sich ever since the obsession started and you could say it was my escape, my way of creating these perfect little worlds.  The composer Chopin once said "I write beautiful music to cover the ugliness of the world."   That quote makes such sense to all the Dollhousers out there, doesn't it?  And speaking of crazy, when the local priest came for his annual blessing of our house--yes they still do that!-  I asked him to bless my dollhouse too.  That's when The Hubby thought I was completely off my rocker.  I could go on and on (and on) but there are too many things to mention!  I am sorry that your childhood dollhouse was destroyed and don't worry about the snide comments!  I get three kinds of people.  The ones that think I am crazy (mother, hubby, oldest son) the ones that look at it and exclaim "Oh how sweet" but really arent into it and consider it just a little cute hobby, and THEN I have the occasional friend or aquaintance that will absolutely pore over every detail and take countless pictures, spending hours ooohhing and aahing.  Neddless to say those are my kinds of people!  I should start charging admission.....

PS--I am still ebay obsessed!!!

Edited by Genevieve A
typos

Ladies, as the former president of a local dollhouse club, I can tell you about the numerous calls I’ve gotten from surviving spouses who’ve had to deal with their wive’s miniature obsessions. They are completely clueless as to how to “get rid of” the endless amounts of inventory collected over the years. They have no idea as to the actual value of the items and no way or time to figure it all out. I explain to them there is EBay, garage sales, estate sales (50% fee) or they can purchase a table at our annual show and try to sell it there. Unfortunately, they can’t be bothered and most of it ends up as donations or in a landfill. Never consider collecting as an investment. It’s an entertainment expense, like going to the movies.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

How lucky to have find a Lawbre dollhouse in thrift store, even if it is in shabby condition. 

I've seen beautifully done up dollhouses and the next owner changes the furniture and rips out the interior to reflect their aesthetic.  Some people don't like the chintzy cottage look with the abundance of flowers and do them in a different look.

It is also not just surviving spouses that want to "get rid of" the dollhouses and accessories, it's often surviving children or extended family members who could care less and can't be bothered dealing with the plethora of items left from the deceased miniaturists.  For every dollhouse that ends up in a museum or in a collection of note, there many many that don't have the same fate.

Sable really hits the bullseye on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1