My new project

IveNoClue

42 minutes ago, IveNoClue said:

Everything can be made or bought. Everything.

I like to tell the folks who ooh and aah over my miniatures that everything in real life is available in miniature -- at roughly twice the price. :D (Which is why so many of us make the furniture and accessories that we need for our builds.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IveNoClue said:

I know this is not news to everyone on this forum, but seeing all the goodies at yesterday's miniatures show in Nashua really opened my eyes to all the possibilities. Everything can be made or bought. Everything.

I was so mentally overloaded. At first I thought it looked like an awfully small show, but I realized every table had squillions of tiny things. I had to force myself to focus in exterior items on my list. "Amy, don't you dare buy that 1950s kitchen. You're only here for shutters and doorknobs! Breathe."

It looks like you have the bug! It is very infectious, but everyone here shares their cooties, so enjoy.:bounce:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

I like to tell the folks who ooh and aah over my miniatures that everything in real life is available in miniature -- at roughly twice the price. :D (Which is why so many of us make the furniture and accessories that we need for our builds.)

You're not kidding!!! Same goes for me on the builds.

I can't wait to go to a show or mini museum to see things in real life. I'll learn so much when I do! Glad you enjoyed your show!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KathieB said:

This year I was bitten by the (full-sized) wreath-making bug and already have too many. I let out a whoop when I spotted wreaths at the miniatures show. I must have one!!!! Then I saw the price and let out a different sound.... 

I don't think I need a 1.5" wreath enough to spend what it costs to buy a casmere sweater at Macy's. :shifty:

7 hours ago, IveNoClue said:

This year I was bitten by the (full-sized) wreath-making bug and already have too many. I let out a whoop when I spotted wreaths at the miniatures show. I must have one!!!! Then I saw the price and let out a different sound.... 

I don't think I need a 1.5" wreath enough to spend what it costs to buy a casmere sweater at Macy's. :shifty:

They are very easy to make. Michael’s usually has a faux tree wrapped in burlap. I take the whole thing apart and use the branches to make my own wreaths. Battery lights, thin red ribbon,  holiday buttons like candy canes and gingerbread men adorn them (also at Michael’s).  I give them as gifts to be used as ornaments. 

• Like 3

I had my first trip to Earth & Tree in Amherst NH. Ugh I could have stayed for a week, and my husband was astounded. I'm going to go back for some wiring supplies after I get some exterior work done. Then, when it's time for working inside - watch out debit card! 

Oh...but I do have a construction question...

I'm batting around the idea of adding on. Maybe on both sides to keep the Colonial symmetry, but definitely on the kitchen side. It would mean turning the kitchen into a dining room (with a hutch for teensy linens and silverware!) that opens into the added-on kitchen. The upstairs of the addition would create a bigger, master bedroom. (Bedroom in the addition, old bedroom turned into a sitting area or ooh walk-in closet! Bedroom could have raised ceiling because there will be no 3rd floor above.)

But I don't know how to stick it to the existing house. It wouldn't be the exact same size as the house as far as height would be recessed a little too. 

16 hours ago, Sable said:

Yes, exactly! I think I might do a single-storey addition on the living room side, and have it be a sunroom. So the house wouldn't be symmetrical but there'd still be additions on both sides so the front door is centered.

Just now, IveNoClue said:

Yes, exactly! I think I might do a single-storey addition on the living room side, and have it be a sunroom. So the house wouldn't be symmetrical but there'd still be additions on both sides so the front door is centered.

17 hours ago, Sable said:

And, btw, WOW! That's gorgeous! I live the stone path. Path goals!

Some progress....some backwards motion...then some more progress.

One of my sisters said, "What, no pop of colour?!" My first thought was....blue isn't a colour???

PS: The lighting in the cellar where I'm working on this is wretched. The blue isn't as dark as it looks in the shutters pic. Nor as weirdly grey-green as it looks in the garden hose pic.)

shutterson.JPG

roofstarted.JPG

frontdoor.JPG

key.JPG

outdoorwater.JPG

The color is lovely and typical of the New England colors I’m use to.

Just a suggestion, can you move the hose nozzle so it’s facing downward? Or is it already glued on?  It would be more realistic in a downward direction. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2017, 18:10:39, Sable said:

18 hours ago, Sable said:

The color is lovely and typical of the New England colors I’m use to.

Just a suggestion, can you move the hose nozzle so it’s facing downward? Or is it already glued on?  It would be more realistic in a downward direction. 

That is a really excellent point! No wait, it's one of those new fangled anti-gravity nozzles. :D

It's not glued but it won't bend the right way...yet! A little judicious heat tool and all will be right.

ps: I'm in NE too. Maybe that's why I chose the color. I lived in Scotland for years and all the houses were stone. Beautiful but grey/beige. I craved color and now...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keifer said:

Nicely done.  I wasn’t as gaga over the blue as everyone else until I saw it with the black shutters....now I like it.

Also the new shingles look fab, are they just painted?

Keith, you can get the mini asphalt shingles.

8 hours ago, Keifer said:

Nicely done.  I wasn’t as gaga over the blue as everyone else until I saw it with the black shutters....now I like it.

Also the new shingles look fab, are they just painted?

They are the mini asphalt roofing. These are salt & pepper colored and I hemmed and hawed for longer than I'm sure was normal over which color to get.

They are in long strips and cut with scissors. I tried Tacky glue first but felt like the shingles were moving and weighting them down was hard given the roof pitch. Then I tried hot glue but it hardened too quickly to work with it. Back to the Tacky glue and just working vereery slowly. 

49 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Betcha E6000 would work nicely with the mini asphalt shingles.  I do like 80-120 grit sandpaper and chalk pastels for coloring for shingles.

Ooh E6000 is a good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of it. I have a vat of it and also Goop one table over where I work on my never-ending Christmas project.