My 2 mini punch rugs

Mineejv

5 minutes ago, Mineejv said:

..... Is there a trick to seperating the floss???

I fiddle with the skein to first get it into three to four foot loops, then cut the loops at one end, making separating the strands MUCH less of a mess.  Since I knit or crochet with the single strand, I go ahead and tie the strand ends together as I wind them into itty balls.

I have seen these at Walmart and the craft stores. They are iron on. Look around, because there are others as well.

Also, Karin recommended these books . I bought one and it has great patterns to transfer.

I didn't like my punch needle work, and haven't sat down to practice it more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

I just stumbled on these little hoops

Those are really cute!

On 11/8/2017, 7:13:32, Mineejv said:

.for my first try, with no pattern and doing them in a vehicle, they don't look to bad

Joanne--  I can't believe you did those without a pattern (in a moving vehicle, no less).  They look fabulous!  I've never found a good way to separate floss.  I used to try just pulling the strands apart, but they used to end up twisting and twirling and making a mess.  Now I push back the strands I don't want from the one I do, while pulling it forward.  (I hope that makes sense.)  The strands I'm pushing back get quite bunched up, but once the strand I'm pulling out is free, the remaining strands "relax."  I smooth them out and start again.  I wind the separated strands around a card or bobbin.  It is truly my least favorite part of miniature crochet.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Put the end of your floss in your mouth. Cut the length, hold one end in between your lips/teeth, and separate the strands while holding a little tension on the length.

That's how I generally do it. For separating very long strands, tie a knot at one end and stick it down with a thumbtack. Keeping a little tension is the secret in either method.

• Like 2

Carrie: I'll check out those books.....thanks

I thought it was just me having trouble separating the floss........ I'll have to try the few different ways...see what work best for me. Thanks for the info!  With punch needle you can't have a knot,it won't go thur the needle.....

On 11/9/2017, 11:35:29, KathieB said:

For separating very long strands, tie a knot at one end 

To clarify: all of the strands are knotted together

2 minutes ago, Mineejv said:

With punch needle you can't have a knot,it won't go thur the needle.....

The knot is cut off once the strands are separated.