Brand New Builder

Ed Lee

Hello, I'm at a stand still with my first build. It is a 1/2 scale Fairfield, I have started the main floor and the interior walls. However I can't find any answers about  satin enamel paint. Would this paint be ok for my project. Also should I prime both sides at once to reduce warping?

Stay on the look out for more questions I have two or more homes to build.    

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Ed.  I built two Fairfields at the same time, one of them inside out, and bashed the heck out of both of them.  I prefer using interior latex paint to enamel,  due to soap & water clean up, and matte or eggshell, although satin might also be OK.  I do prime with flat white interior latex.  I also wait to prime anything or use the first drop of glue until I have first put at least the shell of the kit together with masking or painter's tape (the dry fit), since if there's any parts I'll want to stain I definitely do NOT want to prime them.

5 hours ago, Ed Lee said:

satin enamel paint. Would this paint be ok for my project. Also should I prime both sides at once to reduce warping?

Hi, Ed. Welcome to the forum!

Most sample paints from paint stores are satin finish. It works just fine in miniature scale, as do matte and eggshell finishes. You do want to avoid glossy finishes, as they magnify surface irregularities and kill all hope of realism. Depending on the look you want to achieve, craft acrylics and chalk paints also work well. (All water based for easy cleanup.)

Except for areas that are to take stain, all surfaces should be primed. Warping should be minimal on flat pieces and really not much of a problem if you wait to prime after assembling and gluing the house.