Chip and Joanna Gaines dollhouse

Mid-life madness

They have a dollhouse with their new line at Target.....

It needs some zushing in IMO, but still fun to see something new.

https://www.target.com/p/wooden-dollhouse-with-furniture-hearth-hand-153-with-magnolia/-/A-52609030#lnk=sametab

• Like 1

I'm so glad you posted this.  I thought I saw a dollhouse on their commercial and kept meaning to look into it.  Yes, it does need a bit of zhuzhing,   Also, the way they have set up in the rooms in the sample picture (bathroom and dining room on first floor, kitchen and living room on second floor, bedroom on third floor) is a bit odd. On the other hand, this looks like it might be a great dollhouse for little hands and some potentially hard use.  :)  

• Like 1

Ugh, I don't like this at all. What's with all the visible screw holes? I know it's meant for kids, but considering their brand I'd expect the house to be more aesthetically pleasing. I have visions of adults buying that to display in their homes because it has the Chip & Joanna stamp on it, when there so many nicer dollhouses around...

This reminded me of the Rachel Ashwell line that I saw posted about recently, I can't remember if we discussed it here. https://www.shabbychic.com/collections/doll-house

Those prices! I guess she's a famous designer? But when I think of fans of hers thinking they're getting something special, when they could get the same results scuffing up thrift / dollar store furniture...

(Edit: Sorry if that came across as bratty. It seems the Rachel Ashwell stuff is handmade, so that explains the price somewhat, but there are miniature artisans who do a much better job IMO. I guess it bugs me seeing life-size designers appropriating miniatures as if they're "cute" or "easy". I feel bad for the people who are interested in interior design and fans of these people, but don't realize there's a whole huge miniature world they could be exploring, and this stuff ends up being their only exposure to it. )

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, fov said:

...Those prices! I guess she's a famous designer? But when I think of fans of hers thinking they're getting something special, when they could get the same results scuffing up thrift / dollar store furniture...

The $ store furniture looks better.

1 hour ago, fov said:

Those prices! I guess she's a famous designer?

Dang! I wouldn't pay that much for those pieces if they were 1:1 scale! Really, no details, nothing special. 

• Like 1

It feels like they assume it is easy to serve up miniatures to their audience, and have no idea about the quality that exists among the real enthusiasts. The Ashwell stuff looks like cheap fairy garden furniture, imo...not that that is bad, I like some of that - but not $120 for a ceramacot painted popsicle stick cabinet. Come on.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Anna said:

i learn something New everyday around here, today was shiplap, Thank you! 

Hugs

The couple mentioned above has a remodeling tv show here in Texas, USA.  She is famous for installing shiplap as part of her interior design. 

2 hours ago, Sable said:

The couple mentioned above has a remodeling tv show here in Texas, USA.  She is famous for installing shiplap as part of her interior design. 

Ahhh, we all have our own "to go to's " so to speak.  Like the Word though so squirreled it away for future use someday....

7 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Thank you Carrie! Very airy feel to her work as well as a hint of Scandinavian colours too. Over here we have "Ernst" who has made a name for himself as an i terror decorator/fixer uppger and has a similar flair too.

Emily, I'm with you...that house definitely falls in the ugly range for me. That being said, it's clearly for children. They do have a very nice Greenleaf Pierce in their own house dollhouse

I like her style, but it's a little too washed out for my everyday living. I am also not fan of all the raw or distressed wood she uses. Cleaning those rough surfaces is a nightmare:cry:

On 11/10/2017, 3:18:40, Debsrand56 said:

I'm so glad you posted this.  I thought I saw a dollhouse on their commercial and kept meaning to look into it.  Yes, it does need a bit of zhuzhing,   Also, the way they have set up in the rooms in the sample picture (bathroom and dining room on first floor, kitchen and living room on second floor, bedroom on third floor) is a bit odd. On the other hand, this looks like it might be a great dollhouse for little hands and some potentially hard use.  :)  

It looks like the bathroom is the only room with a partition, so that's probably why it is on the first floor.I agree that this dh must be a starter for little ones. I do like Chip & Joanna, just not much of a fan of the dh. 

Tough crowd. IMO anyone who can attract a younger generation into dollhouses is a hero.  So much better than those plastic houses at toy stores. The price point is great. No prep work needed. Assembly in a few hours, not days. I think it’s a really great house.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chapchap73 said:

Emily, I'm with you...that house definitely falls in the ugly range for me. That being said, it's clearly for children. They do have a very nice Greenleaf Pierce in their own house dollhouse

Good taste in dollhouses, at least! :) I wonder if they built it or had someone build it for them.

6 minutes ago, Sable said:

I’m considering buying one, assembling it and donating it. Only 37 screws.

Totally missed the Dollhouse itself, got lost with with the fur iture site i stead. As you Said Sable, anything that gives a Young one the  Joy of minis is a good thing. 

It looks like a decent house to me. And solid enough for children to actually play with it. Looks like it would be easy enough to bash and alter to upgrade windows and doors. I wonder how the windows are attached? My only concern is that a few reviews say there are some quality control issues.

1 hour ago, Sable said:

I’m considering buying one, assembling it and donating it. Only 37 screws.

That is a really good idea.

I was a pediatric nurse in my younger days. Hospital playrooms love donations. The houses need to be cleanable, especially the furniture.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the kit at my local Target. It’s not in the toy section it is in Housewares. They also offer a nice woodworking bench for children. The kit took about an hour to put together. My exboss’s wife’s business is a designated Kids in Distress drop off point and they would love to have the house. She asked me to wait to deliver it until their tree is up the first week of December. Although the house is 1/12 scale, the furniture which comes with it is for 4 inch dolls. Very sturdy mid sized house. Wish I had one of these as a child.

• Like 3

I agree with Sable.  If attracts new kids to minis im for it.  Most little kids don't want intricate and fancy.  Looks sturdy to me.  I would have to see it, to see the quality.  Screw holes are so easy to hide, so that would not deter me.  Post pics Sable of it please.  

• Like 1