Anyone know how I can stain curtains?

rodentraiser

I ordered a set of 1/2" curtains and the size, while not perfect, can be worked with. However, they really are too pink for the room. What I'd like to do is dye them a dark blue to match the chair. Does anyone know how I might do that? I mean, I could sell these and start over again, but I really like these curtains. It's just the color that's off. Could I paint them, stain them with magic marker, anything at all?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Here's what they look like - they're pleated, the lace can come off the back, and they have a fabric stiffener on them:

curtains.thumb.jpg.04088d6da6f6eda3a4fed

I don’t suppose you know what kind of fabric it is?  You could use something like rit dye, but you would probably have to use a color remover first, some dying processes will not work as well on synthetic material but rit dye does. It does have to be submersed in hot water.  Maybe try some of the fabric painting pencils?  The problem may be the pink, making your blue come out with a purple tone.

Karin, I suppose I could make new ones, but I'm just not a do-it-yourselfer in any way at all.

But painting them with acrylic - now that's a thought. I'll have to go to Michael's and see what acrylic paint they might have - and I'll be sure to get my 10% off too, on account of I'm an old fart now. I'll test paint a little section on the back and see what happens.

Thank you, everyone!

Test the fabric to see if it is manmade or natural. you will need to find a  loose thread, not the sewing thread but a thread from a discreet place on the curtain. If you manage it light it with a match, if it burns clear like a candle would it is natural, if it sizzles or flickers it is man made and has poly in it. Put the flame out, the natural one will turn to ash at the burnt end and the.  man made one will form a hard blob If it is a natural fibre it will dye.. Just a thought, it is how I test all my thrift store finds

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

And then there is the KoolAid dip dye. But the lace panel will be a new color too!

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

The lace panel can come off. But - is there such a thing as dark blue Kool aid? LOL

If you have to dip it, there's the risk of losing the lovely pleating and other damaged caused by a soaking.

If you decide to dip it, I would baste all the pleats together down each one until they are well done then gently dip the whole thing flat,back and front , don't put it bottom to top  in the mixture in case the dip grabs. Lay the pleated package in the dip and just gently press to make sure it penetrates,  same if you rinse it,  don't wring it. then lay it in a wad of paper towel on a folded old towel and put the same on top., be prepared to change this a few times. When it is barely damp but not wet, put it on a final towel without a top and keep it some where warm, Bear in mind that some natural fabrics shrink especially if you agitate the water they are in  . When you rinse it use water the same temp as the water you dyed in so avoid shrinkage.

42 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I'll color the curtains with Magic Marker

You, know, that's not a bad idea. Magic Marker, fabric marker -- any felt tip marker ought to work. The pink is light enough that I don't think it would turn lavender. If it does go purple, isn't that why second coats were invented?

• Like 1