Opinions on Shutters on the Cape may

madtex1967

I'm indecisive. Where there is plenty of room next to the window, it looks good. But on some windows the shutters would look crammed in, I think. Maybe the challenge ought to be which windows would look good with shutters rather than all or none. I think I'd make some paper mock-ups and put them in place so as to get an overall view and make window-by-window choices.

32 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I'm indecisive. Where there is plenty of room next to the window, it looks good. But on some windows the shutters would look crammed in, I think. Maybe the challenge ought to be which windows would look good with shutters rather than all or none. I think I'd make some paper mock-ups and put them in place so as to get an overall view and make window-by-window choices.

This is the problem.  They won't look good on the tower and the double windows.  Of course the dormer windows is a no-go.  so that leaves the single window on the main body of the house.  I like the idea of paper mock-ups!

5 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

and I think they detract from all of that fabulous detailed trim.

I was just about to say the same thing. You spent so much time with the detailing, and it feels like the dark shutters downplay that.

Perhaps consider a different color - the red/burgundy or one of the greens, or even the cream if you feel like you need shutters.  

The shutters are like the cherry on top of a cake. They add to the opulence of this house.  More is better in this case. Which by the way, now makes this my new favorite.

And, the gold on the trim stands out more against the shutters.

Have you thought about making narrower shutters for the other windows?

You could cut off the stile on one side, then cut the  excess width the of the slats and top rail. Re-glue the stile back in place.

http://perfectfitshutters.com/shutter-terminology/

P.S. Snap a picture of the inside of the house. I am dying to see the inside layout.:drool2:

• Like 1

I like it without the shutters. I think it looks more stately. Your colour scheme is so wonderful, you don't need them to add character at all. Too me they almost detract.. like too much eye makeup. :D 

I like the shutters as shown with the mock-ups.  I agree with Sable that they add a certain opulence to this beautiful house. One might rationalize that the windows that are shutterless on the exterior have interior protection from shutters or heavy drapery, etc.,, which would shelter the inhabitants and contents of the room from the storm if not protect the glass itself. 

I would not modify the shutter width to accommodate every window, as it would be obvious that should they be closed, they would not cover the entire window. Too unrealistic for me, personally. Nor would I change the color.

Samantha's comment re too eye makeup flashed a different image in my mind: without the shutters, it looks as if the house shaved its eyebrows -- very disconcerting! :D 

One of the interesting features of a Colonial house we toured in Yorktown, VA, had interior shutters that folded and stored in the wall on either side of the window.  I agree with Sable that more is more with the shutters as shown.  I'm assuming you're still working on that far right hand dormer's window.  What's with the shingle-less squares on the roof next to the dormers?

• Like 1

Here is my two cents, for whatever it's worth... I LOVE the shutters! They say to me that there is no detail left unconsidered. In real life, not every window had shutters, only those where they make sense. I like the ones on the single windows on the main body. They really add so much charm. And, there are not many people that will analyze your choices. They'll just see a magnificent house that makes them nostalgic for the beautiful attention paid to lovely homes in times past.

• Like 2

The house is lovely, but I think the shutters look awkward. Historically, they just didn't put shutters on that style house back in the day. Houses  with shutters had them on the inside. The louvered ones would fold up against the thickness of the wall, and I've seen some paneled interior shutters that folded back on themselves on either side of the window so they looked like decorative paneling.