Opinions on Shutters on the Cape may

madtex1967

I like the shutters but I'd try them in red. Also maybe a different style of shutter would make it look more like a decorative element, so it will be less weird that only some windows have them? Victorian Dollhouse Woodworks has these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dollhouse-Miniature-1-12-Scale-Victorian-window-shutters-1-pair-/252976094861?hash=item3ae68cde8d

10 hours ago, Samusa said:

Perhaps they are where chimney stacks are supposed to go? 

Yes, this is where the chimneys will go:cheezy: I was mortaring them while trying to decide on the shutters and reading everyone's opinions.

9 hours ago, LPCullen said:

It looks good both ways, but I think the windows "pop" more without the shutters.

I feel this way as well.  While I like the shutters, I think it takes away from the details of the window that took FOREVER to paint.

9 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Here is my two cents, for whatever it's worth... I LOVE the shutters! They say to me that there is no detail left unconsidered. In real life, not every window had shutters, only those where they make sense. I like the ones on the single windows on the main body. They really add so much charm. And, there are not many people that will analyze your choices. They'll just see a magnificent house that makes them nostalgic for the beautiful attention paid to lovely homes in times past.

2 hours ago, grazhina said:

The house is lovely, but I think the shutters look awkward. Historically, they just didn't put shutters on that style house back in the day. Houses  with shutters had them on the inside. The louvered ones would fold up against the thickness of the wall, and I've seen some paneled interior shutters that folded back on themselves on either side of the window so they looked like decorative paneling. 

I have done some research for Italianate houses with shutters.  Some windows have shutters, some do not.  But I was hard pressed to find one with a tower and with shutters.  Most all I saw had the cupola on top of a square house with shuttered windows.

Al this being said and considered, I am still up in the air on which choice.  The kit had shutters, so that is why I originally planned for them.  But, of course, the windows were plain.  So the shutters dressed up the house quite a bit.  I will live with it for a while before making a final decision. :dunno: 

I am working on "mortaring" the foundation (tinted joint compound).  I have real mini mortar, but discovered in doing the chimneys, it dries too fast, and was very difficult to work with.  I should have known to work with what I know (joint compound). :bangin:

Thank you EVERYONE for the input and compliments!  I really do appreciate them.  As we all get, sometimes it is frustrating and you think, what you are working on does not look good.  Our group of encouragers/enablers really helps!

Oh yes, on the interior, it is bare at the moment. There are only floors, no interior walls.  I will make my decisions on that and put in the walls after I prime and start the wiring.  Pictures will come on that soon!

Matt

• Like 3

I will go on the no shutter side, I think it detracts my attention from the beautiful paint job on the windows.  I also don’t like the look of some have shutters and some don’t.  And my third objection is that it takes away from the clean look of the house and becomes cluttered.  However you choose, it is looking gorgeous!

The bottom line is that you do what you like! Having said that and studying everything Victorian for the last 30 years I can say this. Your house is an Italianate Victorian.  A grand Renaissance Revival home. They were very popular during the 1840s-1890s in the U.S. I referenced a few of my architecture books (Bicknell's Victorian Buildings, Sloan's Victorian Buildings, A Victorian Housebuilder's Guide) and they are full of Italianate style homes. None of them use shutters on this style home. Hope this helps.