Gingerbread house

stickyfingers

I have some ideas to make a gingerbread house. I saw Emily's post about how she did hers with a Creatology kit, and now it's got my wheels turning. I was thinking of making this to display at work during the holidays, but I'm afraid it would get broken by curious fingers, so may just make it to keep at home.

So, to get the gingerbread look, you add stucco or grout to the paint? Any tips on that?

The Snow Tex medium...doesn't yellow? Does it dry hard, like spackle?

You use spackle for piping? Maybe add a bit of white glue to it to get it to stick to the house? How secure and/or delicate are the trimmings, like piped spackle and such?

I think this could be a two weekend project, yes? I'm guessing there's minimal sanding of the bare house, since it will be covered in textured paint and trimmings?     

I'd welcome any other tips, tricks, or suggestions.   

I've done several gingerbread houses, I used paperlay for the main part of the house and joint compound piped through cake decorator bags for the piping. After it dries I go over the piping with mod podge glue. I shipped one to Arizona and one to California and not a single part broke off so it's very sturdy after the mod podge. The roofs I used joint compound for a built up snow look. That can b painted white and add snow sparkles with products on the market to create that effect. It's sooooo fun and sooo messy but worth it :) 

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

• Like 5

Vineyard Cottage as Gingerbread house 

Real Good Toys halfs scale lighthouse as Gingerbread house 

Tiffani Cottage as Gingerbread mouse house. This one was published in American Miniaturist but I forget which year. My sister made off with it. I need to make another one. Unfortunately the price of the Tiffani kit has skyrocketed lately. 

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=2548

In researching for my project, I saw folks using texture paste for the gingerbread walls. There are some economical ways to make your own using Mod Podge, white glue and baby powder. Look for videos on YouTube.

I am using the Mod Podge brand collage clay for the frosting. I'll report on how it works out when I'm finished...

I also found it was more economical to buy candy garlands, rather than the packs of mini candies. I just cut them off the garland. Peppermint canes are also a good way to add bling without breaking the bank.

I used paperclay for the cookie roof tiles, and will use it for some of the landscaping, as well.

Alcohol ink mixed in Mod Podge makes a good and cost saving Gallery Glass for the windows.

Have fun! Can't wait to see!

When I first built my Tiffani gingerbread I used real peppermint candies. Needless to say they didn't age well and eventually I redid them with a mix of polymer clay candies I had made and store bought. You could use real candies if you wanted to commit to replacing them every year, and stuck them on in a way that they could be removed. Maybe spray with an acrylic gloss sealer. That way you'd have countless options for candy.

WOW! Those houses are just wonderful!!!

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. Any particular brand of joint compound that stays white? I think I have a tub of it in the garage, but it's gray.

Kicking myself for not buying the paper mache houses I saw at Walmart when they had Halloween stuff out! Those would have made small inexpensive ones to take to work or give as gifts.

I still don't have a plan, and may not make this until next year, but starting to get lots of ideas. I was looking at some tiny fake candy at Hobby Lobby the other day, and that's what started all of this.

Karin, for the trim on your houses, did you paint a coat or two of white, first, or just cover with joint compound?

I think it was kind of light Grey in the bucket, but looks white after it goes on..the modpodge brightens it up too.  My husband and I are sitting here trying to remember the brand and I can't but just got it at Home Depot. I don't remember painting the roof or anything white first but I don't think it would hurt to do that.  I do remember I bought a whole set of tips for the cake decorator bag (and several bags) so I would have lots of different effects with the frosting. 

Thanks everyone, really fun to do! 

I mixed grout into my paint (sand would have worked too). I used spackle in a pastry bag for the frosting, as well as Snow Tex spread over flat areas (the roof and porch). I don't think either has yellowed (it's been two years) but I can take the house down tomorrow and check. No need to add glue, it sticks fine, just let it harden overnight before you touch it.

In my experience all of the fake candy was sold out at Michaels by the 2nd week of December, so I wouldn't wait thinking it's going to go on clearance. I got mine on sale (40% off) the week before Thanksgiving.

More details are in my blog posts: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?tag=faux-gingerbread-houses (these are chronological with the most recent at the top, so start from the bottom if you want to start at the beginning)

The thing that really appeals to me about doing a gingerbread house, is that it looks like you can add as much or little as you want, and it still looks cute. You could just paint it, add some faux snow and frosting, and it'll still be cool. Finish the interior, or not. Go all out with faux candy, or just add a few candy canes. Glitter, no glitter, go all out with details or keep it simple. All of the houses I've seen are fabulous in their own right.

I have another Christmas house planned in my head, but it's very different. Sort of a farmhouse/Scandanavian look with lots of rustic wood and white paint with bits of Tiffany blue and red décor. That project is several projects away, but a gingerbread house looks fun and fast.    

• Like 1

Made a big haul at Hobby Lobby and Walmart today!! I decided for the houses to take to work, I'm going to use the chipboard/paper mache houses. There's a good chance that these will be fiddled with/broken/stolen, so not wanting to invest a lot in construction and materials, but they'll be fun to make and give me some experience in the finishing. AND they were half off, so...I found an assortment of faux candy, some gingerbread-colored paint (fifty cents!) some fine textured faux snow, and a few other things. Going to spend a few days planning the make-up, and also going to check the dollar store for piping tips and more doo-dads.  

Wonder if I could use cake boards as a foundation? Just thinking cheap, light, and possibly disposable...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Wonder if I could use cake boards as a foundation? Just thinking cheap, light, and possibly disposable...

My mom displays her real gingerbread houses on a piece of cardboard covered with foil.

• Like 2

I have some progress to report. Bought the paper mache houses at Hobby Lobby, got them painted, and plan to add frosty windows this weekend. ordered a big tub of Snow Tex, and plan to use that on the roofs and ground. Found a piece of scrap plywood that I can use for bases, and found some snowman ornaments. Wonder if you can pipe the Snow Tex through a pastry bag, or is it too fluffy to have any definition?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

I have some progress to report. Bought the paper mache houses at Hobby Lobby, got them painted, and plan to add frosty windows this weekend. ordered a big tub of Snow Tex, and plan to use that on the roofs and ground. Found a piece of scrap plywood that I can use for bases, and found some snowman ornaments. Wonder if you can pipe the Snow Tex through a pastry bag, or is it too fluffy to have any definition?

I think it would be interesting and worth a try! 

I can and will use the spackle, if needed, but I did get the BIG tub of Snow Tex, so I may as well try it before buying another product. So far, the painting was a lot of fun. Didn't take too much care with brush strokes, staying in the lines, etc. I just painted white around the windows, roof, and along the bases, everything else is brown. Plan to use some scraps of plastic to make windows, then use my glass paint to frost them. My craft order with the Snow Tex was delivered to my post office today, so I won't get it until Friday or Saturday. Going to prep all of the fake candy by snipping off the hanging loops and taking apart the garland. Oh, and will be cutting the plywood tomorrow. So far this is a really fun project!  

Your houses look great so far! The Snow Tex has a grainy texture.... it's sort of fluffy and grainy at the same time. The graininess gives it definition, but it's a lighter consistency than the spackle. I don't know how that would work with the piping. Definitely worth a try if you have a lot of it to play with.

I have noticed that the Snow Tex shrinks or pulls back a bit after it dries, I didn't notice the same thing with the spackle. So that might be a consideration. This is something I noticed weeks later and only in places where I'd used gobs of it (not the thin layers I used on the gingerbread houses), but I could see it happening with the piped frosting.