Things are getting dangerous

miniaddicted

So I'm inspired by @Debora59 and her incredible talent! 

OK well I'm not going to start making castings or anything but I'm strongly considering spending $$ on Sue Cook DoorCase moldings for my French Country. Some of my concerns other than the cost include things I may have to rip out that I've already done - because they are now too plain if I add these to the interior doors on the first floor. I am considering the partial doorcase for the 2nd and 3rd floors, though sadly they aren't much less expensive. 

But the fan arches from Lawbre for the 3 french doors are not fancy, so in the foyer, say, that door is plain but the interior doors from the foyer would have these really beautiful moldings. I am adding to the arch theme by using these. 

Thoughts? Ideas?

OD7S.jpg  OD8S_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

I am considering the partial doorcase for the 2nd and 3rd floors, though sadly they aren't much less expensive. 

Consider that the upper floors of residences, those primarily reserved for family use, are often much plainer than the public areas on the ground floor.  

The fancy door casings IMO would work OK for ostentation on the lower, public floors or the exterior front facing doors.  Even the nouveau riche didn't waste money on door framing like that above the first floor.  Save them for a future build.

How much do they cost? You may be able to make something like it for less. I made a similar pediment for my Victorianna out of the top of a Paladian window that I already had (purchased at a thrift store for $2!) and a resin scrapbooking embellishment: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=10101

Mine's not as elegant as what you're looking at, but it could be dressed up even more. The bottom part of the trim could be done with baseboard and the sides with double bead. Also it's a little funny to me that the Sue Cook piece has trim around other trim, if you made your own you could avoid that.

Also I agree with Kathie and Holly that you don't need the same pediments on the second floor.

victorianna456.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017, 10:29:43, fov said:

You may be able to make something like it for less. I made a similar pediment for my Victorianna out of the top of a Paladian window that I already had (purchased at a thrift store for $2!) and a resin scrapbooking embellishment: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=10101

Mine's not as elegant as what you're looking at, but it could be dressed up even more. The bottom part of the trim could be done with baseboard and the sides with double bead. Also it's a little funny to me that the Sue Cook piece has trim around other trim, if you made your own you could avoid that.

Emily - I love what you did! Thanks for sharing! I'll file this away and start scouting things out. 

On 11/16/2017, 1:18:44, shannonc60 said:

I think they would work and look great. But keep in mind they are plaster and therefore not very strong.

Thank you for that - I tend to overlook this sort of thing. I do recall I purchased some trim at a show, turns out it was some Sue Cook and I didn't realize that it was easily breakable. I don't know if the few pieces I bought all those years ago are still in one piece...

My local shop had a couple of these, so I thought I'd see if this would work. Not nearly as wonderful as Sue Cook. I would also not have doors, just these as frames.I'd have to cut a section off above the threshold but that's doable. Unique Miniatures. 

38475074992_25ac12f5a7.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017, 10:56:51, Debora59 said:

I love Sue Cook miniatures but I also love being able to develop or find just what you want for less!

Hi Debora,

Can I ask you what the width of the vertical side is on this? If I do it, my foyer staircase is close to the door - I have about 1/2 inch on the left beyond the doorframe. 

• Like 1

Sue replied the width is 1/2 inch. So I'm still contemplating this. Without discussion of price, I asked hubby which he liked better. He preferred Sue Cooks, said he wasn't enamored of half round, rather preferred her shape of arch. 

In the meantime, I went back to looking at the arch above the French doors, and while I had noticed months ago, it now struck me. The fanlight is wider than the Door frame, and I find it odd and not right. Having a chat with Teri at Lawbre, via email and photos and I'm still in a quandary about it. She says the doors fit entirely inside, flush with the opening. Then the fanlights and separate trim, inside and out, cover the opening and make the doors' overall width the same as the fanlights. 

Mine is different, not sure if the doors were originally made differently (my house is from 1992) or if one of the previous owners got these doors elsewhere

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Things are moving very quickly now. I cut, painted and glued in the doorway inside trim, and the thresholds in. Now have the 2nd coat of paint on the framing trim. I have also started painting the Sue Cook doorcase parts. They really are so nice to paint, better than painting resins.

large.doorways_trimmed.png.d428a00d3da25large.frames_painting.png.58de1d8c3e44b7

I'm soooo happy I chose these doorcases. I love how it really adds flair to this grand house!

I have some filling to do, touch up, but am doing a happy dance!

large.newDoorcases.png.2a0b6100cb0ae9d58large.foyerdoorcases.png.b7144585a93cdfc

Edited by miniaddicted
Edited to note some touch up needed