Your Very Best Tip

MiniMaven

I am looking to write a post with a round up of tips about the best advice for putting together a dollhouse kit. It is for a blog that is attached to my website. You guys have hundreds of years of combined experience, so I thought I'd start here first! I am looking for just one tip per person...which I'm sure is sort of hard since you probably have many! I'd be happy to feature a link to your blog or even a photo of your favorite assembled house on this post if you wish. Thanks in advance!!! I will share the post before publishing so you're OK with how you're quoted. 

My best kept secret, but here goes:

How to make a granite countertop:

Plexiglass, Textured Stone spray paint, White spray paint. 

1-Cut 1/8” plexiglass to size with a mini table saw. Smooth edges with sandpaper.

2-Spray the underside with textured stone spray paint, dry, spray with white spray paint, dry.

3-Attach to top of cabinetry. 

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=120646

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sable said:

My best kept secret, but here goes:

How to make a granite countertop:

Plexiglass, Textured Stone spray paint, White spray paint. 

1-Cut 1/8” plexiglass to size with a mini table saw. Smooth edges with sandpaper.

2-Spray the underside with textured stone spray paint, dry, spray with white spray paint, dry.

3-Attach to top of cabinetry. 

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=120646

I love it, thanks!

Just now, madtex1967 said:

Walk away when you are making mistakes and get frustrated.  Come back to your project a few days/weeks/months later and it will give you a new perspective and you won't be frustrated. :bangin:

Yes, that is good advice when anything is rankling you! My husband is always trying to get me to take a break when I start "running hot" because of frustration. Thanks!

Juggle your priorities, there are so many exciting things to do and if you are learning you want them all today. It is impossible to learn everthing you see here as quickly as your heart wants to and one can get bogged down trying to, so pick one new thing and keep the others on a bucket list.

• Like 2

Just now, Jeannine said:

Juggle your priorities, there are so many exciting things to do and if you are learning you want them all today. It is impossible to learn everthing you see here as quickly as your heart wants to and one can get bogged down trying to, so pick one new thing and keep the others on a bucket list.

Patience is a virtue, as they say!

My tip is:  You don't always have to follow the directions included with a kit.  For instance some kits tell you to hot glue the house together and everyone on this site will tell you that is a big no-no.   Think it through and figure out what works for you.   

Maybe I overlooked this when joining but can I post about houses that are not Greenleaf? I do buy a lot of Greenleaf products and I did make 2 houses that are Greenleaf. Since my illness and disability, I just finished remodeling an antique beautiful Dollhouse that is not a kit, very large 2 story house. The first floor is all antique toy's and the second floor is living quarters. 

The one I'm working on now is huge 14 rooms. I'm not sure if it's a kit it doesn't look like one. I thought if I can post pictures someone here may know, is it allowed?

Thank you for your help : )

Brenda, you can post pics of your house asking the ID of it in the General Mini Talk section. You never know, your unknown house may turn out to be a Greenleaf. I think you have to have 5 posts before you can post pics. I'm not sure because I'm such a chatterbox I probably had 5 posts in my first 30 seconds!

• Like 1