leather upholstery

NellBell

There is a great faux leather at Hobby Lobby on the big rolls. It takes some effort to peel the back off but once that is done it’s a fabulous material to work with. It only comes in black.  Dealers of dollhouse fabrics at the Shows have the very thin real leather in multiple colors, unfortunately I don’t have their websites.  I tried old leather gloves but they are too stretched out.

I used this fabric (2-way stretch vinyl) on a padded bar.  It was a dream to work with--thin and light, but I think it actually looks like leather. (It looks better in real life.)  Keep in mind that I was working in half scale, so I'd think it would work even better in 1:12.  If you search for 2-way stretch vinyl on Amazon, you can see that it actually comes in quite a few colors.  (Look specifically at the ones by LuvFabrics.)

5a1300e1aef38_MerrimackBar.jpg.883603c55

4 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

I used this fabric (2-way stretch vinyl) on a padded bar.  It was a dream to work with--thin and light, but I think it actually looks like leather. (It looks better in real life.)  Keep in mind that I was working in half scale, so I'd think it would work even better in 1:12.  If you search for 2-way stretch vinyl on Amazon, you can see that it actually comes in quite a few colors.  (Look specifically at the ones by LuvFabrics.)

5a1300e1aef38_MerrimackBar.jpg.883603c55

The bar looks great I just may have to do a man house after all

I did this couch using faux leather that I got from JoAnn's . I am new at this as well. 

If you take your time and hold the edges down with clothes pins and other clamps it can be done. The more I upholster, the better the results.

Have you done an upholstered piece before?

large.59f21cb282c3f_Familyroom.jpg.99ba3

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NellBell said:

looking for a  brown or a buttercream . I want to make a leather couch.

In that case, check out http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=121922  This amazing "leather" couch was made from a fabric MIchelle got at Joann's.  I think it's this one:  http://www.joann.com/microsuede-fabric-brown-distressed/1601780.html#start=1  Although it says "suede," it is not.  I have some of this fabric, but I think it's grain is just a little large for half scale.  It is definitely fabric, but really looks like distressed leather.

Carrie--  What is it they say about great minds thinking alike?  :)  I think that is the same fabric.  Isn't it fabulous?  And your couch looks wonderful.  Sorry I hadn't realized until now that it was the same fabric, or I would have pointed yours out as well.

all the leather scraps I have are finished on one side and rnot on the other and it is a bit rough it is possible to scrape some of the rough which is fairly soft offe.

I hesitate saying this but the best thing I ever found in leather was a Masonic apron in a thrift store it was white and the leather was so soft

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Carrie--  What is it they say about great minds thinking alike?  :)  I think that is the same fabric.  Isn't it fabulous?  And your couch looks wonderful.  Sorry I hadn't realized until now that it was the same fabric, or I would have pointed yours out as well.

I think it is the same too....you and I must have been typing and posting at about the same time.

The fabric is little thick, but it is very pliable. The glue wipes off of it pretty easily too!

On November 20, 2017 at 9:05:03 AM, Mid-life madness said:

I did this couch using faux leather that I got from JoAnn's . I am new at this as well. 

If you take your time and hold the edges down with clothes pins and other clamps it can be done. The more I upholster, the better the results.

Have you done an upholstered piece before?

large.59f21cb282c3f_Familyroom.jpg.99ba3

No not yet but I want a leather couch so I'm going to try and try again until I get something I love or maybe like.

1 hour ago, NellBell said:

Thanks everyone for all the information somehow I'll come up with a leather couch I love .

I recommend buying one of Kris Comfort's kits off of HBS. They show you how to upholster and in what order. My sofa is one of her kits that I copied to make the sofa. I just had to use thicker card stock due to the weight of the fabric.

3 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I recommend buying one of Kris Comfort's kits off of HBS. They show you how to upholster and in what order. My sofa is one of her kits that I copied to make the sofa. I just had to use thicker card stock due to the weight of the fabric.

Sounds like an idea what is HBS I keep getting Harvard or Pinterest