Creating limestone

NellBell

I actually made some limestone/flagstone type tiles out of heavy paper. I took some art paper and shredded it into medium and large chunks. Then I glued that down in layers to a base layer of paper. After the glue dried, I gave it a coat on mod podge to seal it. 

The ended up looking like this

https://flic.kr/p/21MQsBD

• Like 1

I got the stone texture on the Chanticleer by cutting up heavy packaging carton (like heavyweight egg carton) into various sized "blocks" and gluing them to the exterior. I used a matte gel medium mixed with acrylic paint for the "grout" and added paint in layers to get the stone effect.

If you have the right tools (a mini table saw and a diamond blade), you use real travertine backsplash tile from Lowe’s or HD and cut them in half using the cut side for your walkway. Or camaflage the uncut stone’s thickness with landscaping. A 12x12 sheet of tiles cost about $12. 

I've been playing around with texture paste for my stonework. There is a youtube video by LuvleeScrapin that compares a variety of pastes, purchased and homemade. For my house I wanted a sandy texture to the stone so I utilized the baking soda recipe she presented. I use a base paint coat for the grout, next, a coat of tinted gesso same color as the grout and then finally the texture paint (which can be tinted) on top. Before I put on the texture paint,  I used drafting tape (1/16) for the horizontal lines, which pull up really nice and leave a wonderful spacing. For the verticals, I carved with a v shaped chisel. The texture paste carves well and gives a nice 3d dimension to the stone.

These are all really good Ideas it gives me hope that I can make the front of the house  amazing . Right now my husband thinks it looks like a track home It really needs some stone work .  I'l most likely try a few until I get something I love.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I  used spackle for the pub's "stone" bathroom floor nd wallpaper for th kitchen floor:

KathieB's views:  the bathroomP3150069.JPG

and paper I wadded, flattened and painted for terra cotta tiles:

more kit & scratch

Thanks for the kitchen Pic thats really close to the coloring I want .

2 hours ago, SewMini said:

I actually made some limestone/flagstone type tiles out of heavy paper. I took some art paper and shredded it into medium and large chunks. Then I glued that down in layers to a base layer of paper. After the glue dried, I gave it a coat on mod podge to seal it. 

The ended up looking like this

https://flic.kr/p/21MQsBD

I'm defiantly doing a test like this . Thanks 

1 hour ago, Sable said:

If you have the right tools (a mini table saw and a diamond blade), you use real travertine backsplash tile from Lowe’s or HD and cut them in half using the cut side for your walkway. Or camaflage the uncut stone’s thickness with landscaping. A 12x12 sheet of tiles cost about $12. 

I will try this as I can borrow the tools from my landscaper .