Bashing two houses together

Thimble Hall

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Due to a spread of TB in the early part of the 1900’s Buffalo, NY set up a number of orphanages run by charities. Both my grandmother and her sister were raised in the Catholic one. It was a place where single parents could place their children when they couldn’t afford to keep them. Since their mother sent monthly payments, the sisters were non adoptable. They stayed there until they turned 18. They were taught how to be exquisite seamstresses. When they left the orphanage they had made enough of their own clothing so the could present themselves as well educated, well dressed ladies capable of taking care of themselves.  

The strange thing about this story; It wasn’t until recently that we found out this information. It was some kind of family secret. Even her own daughter, my mother had no idea! 

Sable, my mother was sent to one of these catholic orphanages from time to time by the Grandmother I mentioned above. She would drop off my Mother and her sister when she ran out of money and then pick them up again when she could afford to.... months or sometimes a year or two later. Obviously this made them ineligible for adoption as she always intended to come back for them when she could. She always kept my Uncle with her, as he was just a baby when her husband died. My mother has always been quite up front about the fact that she spent a lot of her childhood at the orphanage. Though I'm not sure she would tell her posh friends.. still a little bit of a stigma there among a certain generation.

I don't have any sad family stories, I was born late to my parents so any struggles they may have had were history. I do have a puzzle though. It didn't occur to me till after my parents died, and they died within a week of one another that there was a mystery.. I started to do genealogy and the first rule is that you question your family members and your own memory. Most of my aunts and uncles had gone so I had no one to ask but there was something between my Mothers parents and my Dad. I never found out what it was but my father who was very caring, forgiving and non judgmental always got a funny look on his face when anyone spoke of my Mothers parents and I always had the vague impression that they were against the marriage and they treated my Mother badly because of that. I never knew why and as  I got older and started to think back about family traditions etc it became very apparent that there was a Jewish connection to my father from somewhere. It wasn't a birth connection  as I had the genealogy paperwork way before him but I sort of think my Father had some connection.. Many of his friends were Jewish, we had Jewish traditions in the house, we had a Christmas tree but we also displayed a Menorah at Hanukah , we regularly had meals at friends houses on Friday nights and friends came to us too. My sister is 10 years older than I am and when I told her of my thoughts she thought I was nuts and said they were just business friends but I know there was more to it than that. I never found out, still a puzzle ., but there was something. I have their Menorah and  I light the candles just as my Mum did. It was a tradition in my home so I have continued it  in their memory. I often wonder what it was. I even have a dollhouse size Menorah for the memory house.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Joanne if I figure out how to make one that looks realistic  I will make two.I promise

Look what I found Dollhouse Dream??

2489__39504_1395090446_1280_1280.png

ohhh perfect color, we need to look for a bead that shape,  Im going to Hobby Lobby later, ill let you know what I find 

I really want to get a whiff if this perfume ! The bottles are gorgeous, and for sale on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Evening-in-Paris-Cologne-Perfume-Talcum-Powder-Bourjois-Box-Set-/162776061374 I love perfume bottles, but I don't wear much fragrance . I read they re-released a version of it????

• Like 1

Yes, apparently Chanel started to make it , I think in the 60's but I am not sure. Oh a square bottle, well   I like that better than the mini one, Iguess taking a slow look at the bead site may be the answer, they should have findings to make lids and stoppers I would think.

• Like 1

I just did a Google search for Evening in Paris. Apparently it was sold in blue bottles that came in a wide variety shapes. No doubt you could snag an image of a label to reproduce in miniature when you find a bead you like.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just re reading this topic and realized just how much info it contains. I wonder if all those Grandmas/ can see us. I can see a collection of them together , Mums too all chatting about us and what we are doing. Folks  that would have never met all together now. yep I am a funny old duck.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Samantha, I have that on my watch list now and will keep my eye on it.It certainly looks very similar and I would be very happy with it. The seller has a few other things I rather like too so again thank you.

Another thank you for your good wishes when I was recently ill, I am nearly over it, at least I can get on my computer for a while now. Actually I owe you for quite a few of my odd buys..LOL

Oh and be aware of the new sign in picture and new forum name..but it is still me XX J