Bashing two houses together

Thimble Hall

I want to make a house with a business attached, it will be a shop with the owner living on the premises but I can't find  a suitable single house to do that. I have seen the Laurel with the Primrose but the addition is not really big enough for the shop. Has anyone bashed two Orchids together or even two Laurels, With the two Orchids the shop could be opened up to be the whole ground floor on one of them and the  spare upstairs could be added to the living quarters of the other one somehow, which would give the owner quite a decent living space.  I am not too concerned about the width the two create but I don't want a lot of depth..

I love this one, the price is for the 3 shops and the 6 rooms above, but there is an option for a basement with 3 more shops.  This intrigues me to be able to do shops and a dollhouse!  

I should have mentioned it is from dolls house direct, and is called the York Street.  The shipping would probably be a lot, but it is just what I picture in my mind, I can see a bakery, candy shop, maybe a hat shop!

• Like 1

Do you want only 1:12 scale?  My recent Bed & Breakfast was designed to be a store, with living quarters upstairs. Ground floor is all one room; family quarters upstairs are accessed by an outside stairway. . But it is quarter-scale, 1:48. 

The reason I am looking for this  is because...

As you all know I am working on a 3 house project for Red Riding hood. I have almost completed house one for Joe the woodcutter and I want to move on to the next house. I had bought the Aster for Grandma but it looks very Christmassy so I thought I would use a different house .I  may give her the one I had planned for RRH parents so I need to find another one. Continuing the spirit of the theme RRH parents may have had a business and this is where the idea has popped into my head from. I could make Mom a seamstress and Dad has a grocery shop or something like that, selling home grown produce, home bakery , preserves etc so I need a house big enough to do that and give Mom a sewing room, at the same time I want it to be sort of cottagey. I thought if I used two Orchids I could put the house entrance on the side and keep one front door for the shop..early stages in my head still but thinking of the options.

I could then have fun making the Aster into a Gingerbread or something similar

• Like 1

Hi Barb, DHD  would charge me $300 to ship ,plus the house cost then dutes etc, the cost would not justify this project  and I want to stick with Greenleaf for these three houses as they do have a common element.

CJ that sound delightful but the scale would have to be in line with the other 2

I may stick with my original plan for RRH parents  if I can't come up with something but I will change the Aster for grandma.

I think I will just get the 2 Orchids as right now they are a pretty good price, they may end up under the sofa with the others but  I can indulge a bit at my age . I am a dotty old broad and am having fun.  playing with them and that is the most important thing

• Like 2

I always figured Red's family were bakers, since she was taking the basket of goodies to her grandma.  The Aster can be easily made into a regular little Grandma's cottage and I think the Glencroft would make a charming house for the Hood family.

1 hour ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I love this one, the price is for the 3 shops and the 6 rooms above, but there is an option for a basement with 3 more shops.  This intrigues me to be able to do shops and a dollhouse!  

I should have mentioned it is from dolls house direct, and is called the York Street.  The shipping would probably be a lot, but it is just what I picture in my mind, I can see a bakery, candy shop, maybe a hat shop!

What a gorgeous building!  It's not in my budget right now, but I am bookmarking it for the future.

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

Hi Barb, DHD  would charge me $300 to ship ,plus the house cost then dutes etc, the cost would not justify this project  and I want to stick with Greenleaf for these three houses as they do have a common element.

CJ that sound delightful but the scale would have to be in line with the other 2

I may stick with my original plan for RRH parents  if I can't come up with something but I will change the Aster for grandma.

I think I will just get the 2 Orchids as right now they are a pretty good price, they may end up under the sofa with the others but  I can indulge a bit at my age . I am a dotty old broad and am having fun.  playing with them and that is the most important thing

You could invert one of the Orchids so that you connect them where the bay windows are.  That would reduce the amount of cutting that you have to do.

If you build the second Orchid inside out you can omit the second Orchid's wall with the bay and instead of punching out the bay window you could cut a doorway between the two sections.  Or you could just build them omitting the non-bay wall on one and attach ti to the other one's bay wall, cutting the doorwy, and you would still have a bay window in which to display the baked goods, and you could call the shop Hoods' Goodies.

If you are going to use the Glencroft for Grandma's house, in keeping with the theme perhaps you could turn the Harrison into a shop/home above for RRH's parents. The downstairs could be the shop and sewing room. Middle floor could be the kitchen and living and then 2 bedrooms (one in the secret room) and a bathroom upstairs. Or the secret room could be the sewing room. :) 

I have just spent a time looking at the Orchid album , there is some really great ideas in there, very talented folks.

Samantha I did  look at the Harrison for the Hoods it certainly  fits the style and it was the first  choice actually , then I though of the 2 Orchids option to it  but am not certain yet.I have to check the depths a bit more as there is a space allocated for these three houses,  the width is not important but the depth is, height is not an issue either.

If I take it one step at a  time my first problem is the Aster, it is a darling little house  and I loved it on first sight,but just doesn't fit right for the Grandma I have in mind, she would have had space for serving her visitors tea and she  needs a bedroom  and a bathroom which means stairs,now after looking at the album I think the single Orchid would do nicely for her, it is not tiny but not big either and there is a space for all her needs which the Aster would not have had. I will look at other options before I make up my mind but I think the Orchid Album talked me out of putting two together.

I rather like the Harrison so if I get it and then don't use it for the Hoods I won't be bothered.. I did wonder if I could attach a conservatory and maybe use that as  home made goodies shop  but the roofline may not allow that, I haven't really looked that close though. I would prefer to keep the living space for the family in the Harrison so was looking for options..maybe an add on or  a separate one room building adjacent might do

After spending so much time on Joe's house which is not very colorful or "pretty' I am finding I want to splash out and do something a bit more fun so considering the time of the year I may start the Aster as a seasonal house and work on it whenever. the mood takes me . I am going over to the shop now to get some measurements

Well that only took a few minutes but the first thing I realized I made a mistake when I bought the Glencroft, I thought it had more rooms in it , at the time I also looked at the Harrison so I must have got confused.. I bought these houses in my "black week" so clearly didn't think it out very well. Looking now I would still have kept the Sugarplum for Joe, thank goodness, but I would have bought the Glencroft for Grandma and the Harrison for the Hoods, so thanks Samantha for reminding me. I will be able to start on Grandmas house now and order the Harrison for later. 

Holly I think it will work out now at least I can get the next step done I shall use the Glencroft for Grandma and the info re divider walls you gave me may come in very useful. I could make Grandma the seamstress in the family, sort of retired , she is going to be a pretty artistic vibrant   sort of Grandma, not a wilting violet sort so she needs a bit of space,

I bought the Harrison before I went to bed and I also got the  one room Adams house, it is a back up to be a stand alone shop nearby the Harrison if I don't come up with a better idea when the time comes for me to start the last house and if I don't use it for that I can turn it into something else.

I appreciate all the advise and it was all good, it has moved me on a bit. I am sort of looking forward to doing the Aster now as something playful, either with snow on the roof  or edible decorative something and I am sure you will have lots of great ideas about to help me.

Yep it could, that story frightened me when I was a child but it is a consideration, maybe a Gingerbread House without the witch. I have made a lot of real gingerbread houses, my grandkids private Christian school used to do them every year , we  used to bake all the gingerbread so that every kid  in the school got one, about 250  with as many Mum volunteers as we could get and have a classroom day for decorating, it went very well. Of course they were much smaller than  the Aster but the idea is more or less the same, The other option is to make it a Mr and Mrs  Santa home. I wouldn't have to make many changes much so the basic house should go up quite fast. Either one would be fine.. I will think on it but I am leaning to a gingerbread

I like the idea of the glencroft for grandmas house, it has a nice cottage feel, and living spaces were not that big  in past times.  I can picture a velvet rope across the stairs, a screen for dressing rooms, with the small room being the sewing space with bolts of cloth and supplies, and a nice small tea table with delicate chairs in the bigger room.   Everyones vision is different lol.  I love what you have done with Joe, it will be interesting to see grandmas house!

Grandma  herself is just a short list right now, I was born to my parents very late in their life so I don't remember a Grandma so I am picking things out of the air for her. There was an old lady my Mum sort of adopted when I was young so some of her will come from that. I remember her for her long dangling earrings which over the years had made quite long holes in her ears, Her name was Mrs Craker, she was  a little bit out there and secretly I called her Mrs Crackers. Some of this Grandma will come from a GT GT Grandma on my SIL side, she was very artsy crafty in a glue and glitter sort of way and very musical, she lived to be 100, and regularly went to care homes to play her banjo to the "old folk" as she called them,

So I guess I will make her as I wanted a grandma to be with these little bits tossed in. A little bit eccentric but very proper in the old English sense. My Mother was the perfect Grandma actually, she was sort of Grandma to the neighbourhood, the first door folks knocked on if they had a problem so there may be a lot of her in there too.