Qucik question about bricking

Thimble Hall

I have some red brickwork completed, chimney etc. I read somewhere that before grouting the brickwork it should be painted with a 50/50 white glue and water mix. I can't find out where I read it  but wondered is that what everyone does and if you do what is the purpose please. I can only presume it is to stop the grout  fluid being absorbed by the brick so clean up is easier but am not sure and don't want to do it till I am

• Like 1

Personally when I've done brickwork I just make sure I use a matte sealer, which is probably the same goal of the glue/water mix. Which is to seal the brick before grouting, and specifically make it easier to clean if any of the grout ends up on top of the brick.

I'm not sure what you used for your bricks,  I made mine out of egg carton, I painted the wood first a grey, then glued the bricks, then painted them, and then added a polyurethane.  I have pics on the Craftsman album,  Just not sure how to attach it here.  Maybe that will help, 

@Beulah -so you use a polyurethane to seal the bricks!?  Oh! that would make things easier- as far as purchasing the right sealant product. I have a little hardware store right across the street from where I work, but to drive 30 minutes into the city to the craft stores...well, that doesn't happen too often.

I will have to try that next time.  :)