Greetings from Chicago

Keifer

Hello everyone.  I am very new to the world of miniatures.  I live in a suburb of Chicago, not the big city.  My bio says I’ve built one dollhouse but I’m not sure I can call it that after browsing here.  They were more like modular rooms from something I saw on pintrest.  It was actually when I made furniture for some of the rooms that I got hooked on mini building.  Hope to find lots of tips and info on here as I have so many questions.  I’m always saying...how did they do that. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keifer said:

Hope to find lots of tips and info on here as I have so many questions.  I’m always saying...how did they do that. 

Hi, Keith, and welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place. No question is too silly to ask, and you'll find out quickly that there is more than one "right way" to accomplish an effect or resolve a challenge. 

Thanks for the warm welcome.   It has become a passion for me at the moment, although I must say everyone close to me that I’ve shared with, doesn’t understand it or share my excitement.  After getting my feet wet with some furniture, I’ve gone full throttle and jumped into the fire with my next project....more to follow.  

18 minutes ago, Keifer said:

Thanks for the warm welcome.   It has become a passion for me at the moment, although I must say everyone close to me that I’ve shared with, doesn’t understand it or share my excitement.  After getting my feet wet with some furniture, I’ve gone full throttle and jumped into the fire with my next project....more to follow.  

You might appreciate some of these:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=7773

10 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Hi Keith - welcome to our obsession! I too live in Chicago area. You probably know that we now only have one local shop left - Lolly's in Elgin. Janet can help you with some of the how-to's if you ask her, 

I did not know about that shop, so thanks for the heads up.   Its not real close to me but I’ll have to check it out. 

Welcome to the Forum Keith! Sigh, I remember the days when I could travel all over the Suburbs of the Chicagoland area visiting the different Minishops. Now, it’s miniatures shows or Lollys. Tom Thumb in Evanston moved to Niles but I was told they closed too now. So you’ve come to the right place for that “miniature fix” :) I look forward to seeing your work! 

On 11/26/2017, 2:39:31, Minis On The Edge said:

Correction, according to their website, it looks like Tom Thumb is still open in Niles :) I gotta go there soon. I guess their hours are different now. 

I went there today :drool2: soo much stuff to see...kinda overwelming at first.  My first time in a real hobby shop.  You’ll never find the place unless you are actually looking for it.  I’ll be heading back with a list soon. 

• Like 2

I’m happyy to know they still have EVERYTHING! Gosh I love that place! I gotta go there soon and get some goodies. Their old place was like a treasure hunt. You go down an aisle and never know what you just might find :)