Winchester Mystery House

Khadi

I was just watching a program on the Winchester Mystery House and thinking it would be really cool to make a "Mystery" dollhouse.  I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to incorporate any "mystery house" features into a dollhouse such as the staircase.

• Like 1

I think I need to improve my skills to make something so creative.  The low stairs would be really cool but would definitely take some patience.  Some of the other features such as the door on the side of the house wouldn't be so difficult.  I'm thinking a Garfield would be the best bet because of the size and flexibility of floor plan.  Perhaps, someday I'll take on the adventure. :)

• Like 1

This is so intriguing! I watched a short documentary about Sarah Winchester and her strange house just a few days ago. I wonder if, instead of aspiring to build such a large house (160 rooms is quite a lot!), we could perhaps incorporate details of the Winchester house into existing or new projects. Maybe it would still be satisfying enough to have just a few quirks, even in a smaller house. 

Of course, those of you willing to attempt a much larger house, I admire your enormous (miniature) efforts! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Wasn't Selkie bashing a Garfield ...

Yup, it's me. "Family Mansion". It has never been completely finished.

I'll try to find some pictures. I closed the album due to a Pinterest copying issue several years ago.

It's 1 Garfield, 1 Orchid, 2 Primrose, and a Conservatory for main the building. Doors, arches, etc connect all areas internally. No secret stairs or doors.

The story goes that it's an old family mansion that has gone thru many changes as the family home was passed down the generations. Additions, styles and purpose changes happened along the way.

One Primrose was their old stone wellhouse. It is off set 2/3 of the way back on that wall and attached on the kitchen "L" end converted into an art studio with an adapted roofline and front. 2nd Prim is business office downstairs/ bedroom up on the far end of other " L". Orchid is 2 bedrooms up w/stairs up on the back open wall, gentlemen's room w/ pool table, library, hunter theme and bathroom down and attached next to the Living room wall of Garfield. Electric components are sandwiched between those walls. Conservatory off the back of business office as extra client area.

All added houses slide on and off for moving it with moldings covering the attachment areas.

Out buildings include a GL 2008 Spring Fling contest double kit - as a motorcycle repair garage, an old HBS contest Swingset sandbox replica, and a GL 2010 Spring Fling contest barn kit as a barn/business created with the extensions offered in the contest.

That's it so far.

Perhaps I should convert it to a Mystery house. Maybe that would re-energize the project out of it's stalled state. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Joanne I want you to do it so I can copy  you every inch of the way.. Which house do you think would be a good choice, I guess it needs to be fairly big/

I have a Fairfield in the box, I will have to think about what I could do with that one