Curio Bundle - Worth the Plunge?

SewMini

Ive been thinking a lot lately about getting a die cuttig machine. I know that a few people mentioned on MikeUK’s thread about his awesome modern house that they preferred the Cameo to the Cricut. The Curio is like a Cameo but can fit thicker and wider materials. Im wondering if anyone had any experience with the Curio. Currently Im considering this bundle on Amazon that includes the Curio, several cutting blades, basic accessories and even some metal embossing sheets (Im still trying to noodle how to make a stippled metal couch and I think this could do it)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012YC4URA/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1511658462&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=curio+machine&dpPl=1&dpID=51oi3n-H0VL&ref=plSrch

I did some googling on the Curio and it seems to be a bit more versatile than the cameo... There are heaps of YouTube videos on the etching function.. probably on the embossing too. 

I'm kind of holding out for a Cricut Maker once the deep cutting blade comes out next year... but having just done a bit of reading on this machine I'm tempted. Much cheaper too.. at least over here... I do really like the rotary cutter for material that is an accessory for the maker though. The limitations for the cricut for me is that it's apple reliant and the only apple product I have is my ancient Iphone.. so I would need to get an Ipad or Mac in as well in order to use the software which would make it rather pricey... I seem to be reading there is a subscription cost for the Silhouette software, which isn't appealing if correct?? Does anyone know?..... Hmmmm.. decisions, decisions..

Sam, I went on to the Cricut support page and according to the company the machines function with both Windows based as well as Apple based technology. Not certain if that's only for the US based machines, but it appears as if you aught to be able to use it no matter what system you use.

Unfortunately Miranda, I've no experience with the Curio -- but have heard really good things about Silhouette machines in general, and last I'd heard even the Cameo was able to take bass wood through it if I'm recalling correctly. Looking at the Curio, I would think that definitely could... if you do get it, please update us on what it can manage?!?

The Cameo 3 is supposed to take bass wood, but I haven't tried it yet.  It also has a stippling setting and blade.  Also haven't tried that yet. :) There is no subscription cost for the software.  It's the library of designs you subscribe to (and I don't really need those).  That said, I'd be really interested in learning about the Curio.  If you get it, I'd love to know what you think of it.

Well I did it! I spent a little bit more and got this bundle that seems to be the whole kit and kaboodle for what I want to do. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CYMLYQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I could have just gotten the basic machine but by the time I added on the large base, all the blades and the etching tool, and a few other things I wasn't far off from getting this bundle. I never spend this much money on myself so I instantly had buyer's remorse lol. I'm sure that will all go away when I can easily make my long wished for Moroccan couch! I did see an awesome idea the other day which was to use to Curio to do marquetry with thin wood veneer sheets. That's what REALLY sold me on this. I mean, I didn't even consider the fact that I could use it to do intricate floor work but now I can! I bet I could also use the embossing tool to make textured ceiling inserts. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting my new toy!

It doesn't ship with prime so it will take a few days to get here. Fingers crossed no one steals it when it gets delivered.

• Like 3

I'm waiting your report too. Very curious how it will work with the deep cutting mediums.

I have the older Cameo. It doesn't take the deep cut blade so I'm stuck with thinner choices. I've been tempted to either get the Curio or the updated Cameo 3.

Im really curious to see if it will cut through matboard. Some people had trouble getting it to cut chipboard but it says that it will cut through material up to 2mm thick with the deep cut blade. That’s just over matborad thickness. Though, I guess worst case scenario is that is could cut most of the way through and I’d just have to go back with an exacto for a final cut. I think even though it has the depth, it may just not have the pressure needed it o get all the way through. We’ll see!

It's meant to be an accessory to the Cameo paper cutter but I'm going to use it for other things. Things I'm thinking about doing with it:

Embossing glossy photo paper to make custom tiles

Cutting wood veneer for custom floors

Cutting wall paper according to exact measurements

Stippled metal work

Embossing tin ceilings

Cutting multiples of card stock so they can be stack and glued to make things like furniture

cutting plant leaves to make landscaping

I really think the options are going to be endless once I get working with it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SewMini said:

Well I did it! I spent a little bit more and got this bundle that seems to be the whole kit and kaboodle for what I want to do. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CYMLYQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I could have just gotten the basic machine but by the time I added on the large base, all the blades and the etching tool, and a few other things I wasn't far off from getting this bundle. I never spend this much money on myself so I instantly had buyer's remorse lol. I'm sure that will all go away when I can easily make my long wished for Moroccan couch! I did see an awesome idea the other day which was to use to Curio to do marquetry with thin wood veneer sheets. That's what REALLY sold me on this. I mean, I didn't even consider the fact that I could use it to do intricate floor work but now I can! I bet I could also use the embossing tool to make textured ceiling inserts. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting my new toy!

It doesn't ship with prime so it will take a few days to get here. Fingers crossed no one steals it when it gets delivered.

Congratulations!  Awesome!  I haven't seen the Curio it looks like it is cool and can do a lot of things?  Sometimes bundles are more of a bargain, Plus you don't have to search and shop for the other things.  You should get a tracking number for it so you can watch for it. If not, then ask them for it. This time of year, that is always a feeling, did my package get stolen?  Aren't your excited?  Don't feel guilty! This is your Christmas present to yourself.  I have a Cricut ......The Expression 2.  I haven't used it a lot just because I haven't had time but I can think of oodles and oodles of ways to use for my miniatures.  I want to cut out intricate designs and glue them to furniture then paint with chalk paint.    The sky is probably the limit to what you can do for your miniatures.