Tom & Jerry Holiday drink

kellee

Does anyone have a tried & true Tom & Jerry recipe ? My Grandmother used to make this every Christmas Eve. This year I want to have it. My Mother is going on 70 next year and I know having this drink at Christmas eve will be special to her. I've looked it up online but I just can't remember all the ingredients and there are so many variations. 

Thank you.  

Hi have a very old set of recipe books  from the Edith Adams collection  and just looked this up in the Christmas  book, I have never made it  but is from long ago. Edith was a foodie in the Vancouver Sun newspaper starting in 1926 so they are really old recipes.

There is  a recipe  called Tom and Gerry Mixture which seems to be nothing more than eggs, separated, beaten, then combined with sugar, There is A Hot Tom and  Gerry made in a mug which tales some of the above mixture, add brandy and rum and hot water topped with nutmeg, then there is a Cold Tom and Jerry same as the hot except you use cold water. So it seems you make the basic mixture then make your choice as to hot or cold ..I can give you the exact ingredients if you wish

• Like 1

The recipe in my family did have some spices in it, allspice, nutmeg cloves and vanilla.  But it is basically separated egg both beaten then butter and confectioners sugar, beaten together and the yolks folded in along with spices, and finally the whites.  Usually we added 2TBS to hot water with added rum, brandy or whiskey, sometimes to hot milk.  I personally like the hot milk and rum with this and nutmeg grated on top.  I have seen others make this without the spices or with just nutmeg.  It is kind of like hot eggnog with the milk.  I can give you exact recipe if you want, the recipe makes 3 drinks but can be multiplied and keeps well in the fridge for 4-5 days or freezes well.

• Like 1

This recipe is from a 1935 copy of "Old Mr Boston Official Bartenders Guide" 

1 jigger Brandy or Rum, Add one well  beaten egg. 2 Teaspoons Powdered Sugar. Stir thoroughly while pouring in hot milk and grate Nutmeg on top.

hope this helps you have a Merry Christmas. (My dad was a bartender among other occupations)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CassB said:

This recipe is from a 1935 copy of "Old Mr Boston Official Bartenders Guide" 

1 jigger Brandy or Rum, Add one well  beaten egg. 2 Teaspoons Powdered Sugar. Stir thoroughly while pouring in hot milk and grate Nutmeg on top.

hope this helps you have a Merry Christmas. (My dad was a bartender among other occupations)

That sounds like the way my grandma used to make them.

I'd LOVE your recipies !  My Grandmother made it every Christmas Eve. I really want to make it this year and so disappointed the recipie is no where to be found. I can't remember what she used in it. So I will try all your recipie until I get the right one.lol 

1 hour ago, kellee said:

...the recipie is no where to be found. I can't remember what she used in it. So I will try all your recipie until I get the right one.lol 

When I Googled the recipe a whole page of sources came up.

41 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

When I Googled the recipe a whole page of sources came up.

Exactly. That's the problem. Which is the one her grandmother used? I foresee a lovely evening of experimenting with various recipes. :D 

24 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Exactly. That's the problem. Which is the one her grandmother used? I foresee a lovely evening of experimenting with various recipes. :D 

The Greenleaf Enablers strike again!

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

The Greenleaf Enablers strike again!

Green apple pucker is definitely a summer drink. Glad to have something to tide us over the colder season. :D