Window Casings

Maggie

Hi!  I am new to this forum.  I have been a member for a long time.  Drooling over everyone's houses and tiny items they have posted.  I am retired now and can dedicate time to this fascinating hobby.   I was given a dollhouse from Greenleaf last Christmas by my grandchildren and am now getting to it.

However, I need help...when I sanded my window casings for the Orchid Dollhouse, the backs peeled off.  How would I go about fixing this problem?   I was lightly sanding the edges when this happened.

Thank you for having me here.  Maggie

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

I use spackle when that happens. I fill in the gaps, wait for them to dry, sand, and repeat until I have the pieces as smooth and as close to the original as possible. Once they're painted over it's hard to tell there was ever a problem. Welcome, Maggie. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kokomo said:

I use spackle when that happens. I fill in the gaps, wait for them to dry, sand, and repeat until I have the pieces as smooth and as close to the original as possible. Once they're painted over it's hard to tell there was ever a problem. Welcome, Maggie. :)

Spackle works well if the piece that came off is damaged beyond use. If the piece is whole, try gluing it back on with wood glue or tacky glue. Sandwich the piece between bits of waxed paper and clamp or weight it down while drying.

• Like 1

Maggie, most of the trim pieces in my Glencroft kit were on sheets of old, brittle plywood that sometimes delaminated and in a few cases totally shattered, even with careful removal with my utility knife.  I kept a puddle of wood glue on a piece of waxed paper, a small paper cup full of round, pointed toothpicks, my roll of waxed paper and piles of little plastic spring clamps, and used Kathie's method.  I had stained the parts of the sheets holding those pieces for convenience, but when I began to perceive the situation with the condition of the wood I was vey glad I had done so.  Had I been going to paint the trims I would have glued exactly the same, then used the spackle.

• Like 1