FINALLY found the right cart for my Garfield!

mininecessities

I finally was able to find a cart on wheels sturdy enough for my large Garfield and didn't cost a fortune.  I had been turning it around to move it ugh.  it was hard on the bottom of it.  

I have set the house on it and oh boy does this baby roll easy. Smooth as a babies bottom! It always will do circles well.  I have purchased a turntable for the top of it, but waiting to make it and attach to a board a little bigger than the house for my  yard (landscaping)  some day. 

This cart is not made of MDF or particle board which I hate, but it's made from Rubberwood. The trunk from Rubber trees.  its a good hardwood and people love it and right now it is less expensive than other hardwoods.  It might not be as beautiful if not painted I don't know  but anyway this cart works well.  when I get the turntable made I can twirl just the house around and also if I want I cant turn the whole cart around or move it very easily.  Here is it if anyone would like to look at it. I haven't photo'd my own yet. Got it at Target. Around $140.00  I know there are cheaper ones but this is a big heavy house.  I couldn't afford those $800 ones. 

https://www.target.com/p/kent-kitchen-cart-black-aiden-lane/-/A-52433950#lnk=sametab

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Oh, I was so excited when I read this as I need one for my Grosvenor Hall but it has to be just a few inches off the floor as it is 5 feet tall. It's s nice looking cart though so well done to you

Jeannine, have you considered one of those low dollies like they use in construction ? Not far off the floor, they do have the middle out but you can attach a board to it if you like. They are very reasonably priced too!  Look at Home Depot or Lowe's.  oh whoops you are in the Canada.  well they should have similar there. I see you are from the Uk/  I love the UK  I wish I could live there! I love London. .......

Hi yes, I have, the problem is it is very heavy too as it is MDF and is 42 inches wide so I doubt is those dollies would be secure enough.as they are not very wide. I did investigate buying wheels and having one made that is wider but as I am not working on it right now I didn't follow through with the idea. It is front opening  but if I ever had to move it once all the fronts were on and it was on it's basement I think it would be difficult. It would be like moving a wardrobe. I really need to address this though because right now it is my workroom with it's fronts off being used a  bookcase for bits and pieces. I just can't motivate myself to get on with it.

6 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Hi yes, I have, the problem is it is very heavy too as it is MDF and is 42 inches wide so I doubt is those dollies would be secure enough.as they are not very wide. I did investigate buying wheels and having one made that is wider but as I am not working on it right now I didn't follow through with the idea. It is front opening  but if I ever had to move it once all the fronts were on and it was on it's basement I think it would be difficult. It would be like moving a wardrobe. I really need to address this though because right now it is my workroom with it's fronts off being used a  bookcase for bits and pieces. I just can't motivate myself to get on with it.

I know exactly what you mean. It is so easy for me  just to daydream about miniatures, and houses, and projects then to do them, but I am getting older.  I am also tied to an oxygen tubing ugh........It's like being on a leash.   I get it caught too and it tries to pull my ears off so it is easier to just sit but I am trying.  I also got into model railroading.......and that is taking all my space. Guess I will put the layout in the kitchen, (it's a small N scale layout.) will be cute for a yard train for the dollhouse but I don't know how I would ever get them together properly.  I cannot get my Garfield out the door in this room. I could barely  before I put the roof on but now I am not sure what to do. I had planned on making the roof removable but didn't know how.  I t hink I attached it with hot glue so I could just warm the seams up and take it off?  

I bet your house is beautiful!  wow.......do you have photos of it? 

You are probably right, it has been a problem since day one , I wish it had never bought it and it cost way over $1000. My husband bought it for me 5 years ago, the plan was to build it together but there were parts missing in the basement, After 2 years I bought another basement, by this time my husband was too ill to help me so again it was left. I started it this year and got the shell up then John started to decline rapidly and I lost interest in it. I need to finish it but cannot till I get the wheels problem sorted. It could be put on a real dollhouse table a few inches from the floor but I would prefer it to be movable..well it will no doubt sort itself out in the future.

I have a movers dolly under my Kiln but it is not long enough for the house, I think it would topple

I have the main house shell done and I have the basement also done, the fronts are not on yet though and it had a coat of primer and that's as far as I got. I have all the lights, wallpapers and a lot of the furniture but can't get myself  to do it

6 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

I have the main house shell done and I have the basement also done, the fronts are not on yet though and it had a coat of primer and that's as far as I got. I have all the lights, wallpapers and a lot of the furniture but can't get myself  to do it

I get more motivated if I hang around this forum more. What you said earlier, about putting bits  n pieces in your house, I am so bad about that. I have an unfurnished San Franciscan in the living room full of bits n pieces.......(stuff)  even my Garfield, more so if the furniture is out.  I live in a small house and running out of room.  by the way I am sorry your husband has been ill. I Hope things get better for you.  Life just keeps getting in the way of what we want to do doesn't it? If not, then I get in my own way by having too many hobbies, too many options. but soon I have to work full time on my Ebay and Etsy to pay bills, at least by January. I have boxes of stuff to list then. but maybe I can take time off now and then to just have fun working on the house.   Just try to take baby steps and don't get down on yourself in your self talk , like punishing yourself for not working on it then you get depressed and don't work on it. Pretend you have little people who are homeless and wanting to move in soon. Winter is coming!

I actually never get depressed, it is something I have never felt. I have felt sad in  some  situations   that I have no control over and  I can tired of a project and put it away but eventually I make it priority one again.  I have been a quilter for 30 years but . I have a trunk full of quilts in progress and I will bounce back to quilting eventually. Some crafts I know I won't do again, things I tried for a while but are not really what I wanted, card making was one and I have a ton of stuff which I am going to donate to the local Rainbow chapter for the mentally ill. I used to make a lot of novelty cakes and again have  tons of stuff   and when I find an appropriate place they will go too..

I don't do guilt either, it is a very negative emotion and I believe it is for something that one has intentionally been mean about, and I try very hard not to that. I  do  feel responsibility which is used for mistakes. I may have made .

I do rather indulge myself with things I want these days, but I am long ago retired and  it is not causing any trouble  to anyone  so I have no problem with it, as they say you can't take it with you when you go The bad part of that is that these days I work so slow and have such a high pain level that prevents me from getting on with things in the way I want , this is very frustrating but, I can do nothing about it except muddle through. I I know I will never finish all the things I want to do ,  that is just the way it is.

Since my husband died a few weeks ago I have found myself with a heap of spare time so I switch between one thing or another depending on how I am but I never stop doing things. I have to be active, but I have been like that all my life. Tonight I am switching from painting to sewing dollhouse bedding and my knitting towards the end of the night.

You are very right, this forum is very motivating and the folks are wonderful and supportive. I could never be as good as some of them  and I don't need to be.. I see their work and it is beautiful  and of course like the child in the candy store I want it all. Many of the folks on this forum are expert at what they do yet each in their own way I find they share their knowledge and their time so willingly it is a blessing to be a small part of it. My long term talents come in useful now and again but I am a baby when it comes to houses so am learning all the time from beautiful people.

You are very right about too many hobbies but it is surprising how they overlap especially with miniatures because almost anything that one knows should be able to be brought down to size/ My biggest challenge is that I have never been very good with wood so I am on a big learning curve here.

Take care and don't work too hard..and thank you for the kind wishes.

Jeannine, you struck a nerve with working slow and pain level, which I find very tiring.  My Brimble's sits out in the workshop and I go pick at it every few days; whilst in the house I have a 1:1 tablecloth in the process of being crocheted and what I think will be the last carpet for Brimble's stock partly stitched.  I have a huge amount of UFPs I really want to get back to!

Yes Holly it is a fact, I think once you accept the fact that we probably will never finish all that we have it becomes easier. My biggest problem with that is knowing someone else has to get rid of it after and their is a ton of money tied up in some of it that might not be realized.

Right now I am buying molds to make dollhouse dolls. I realize that the purchased ones are garbage except for the handmade ones and as I have the kiln, the paints ,the tools , the knowledge and the time it seem logical to do them myself. Even at $100 roughly per mold it is cheaper than buying an artisan made one. I just hope I have retained my skills..

I am very gradually disposing of some things that I will never use again, but I hate sending it to a thrift store and it is hard sometimes to find someone who really wants it in my area.

It is funny, when you are younger you never seem to find the time to play with the things you want to and you dream of a day when  you can but  you are always on the run doing other stuff. When you finally reach that magical place of freetime, very often you can't rush around and do all things for yourself that you want to.. I guess that is getting old.!!

Never mind Gal, we have a few houses worth of time left haven't we  ??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

..Never mind Gal, we have a few houses worth of time left haven't we  ??

Even if we don't, the one who dies with the most toys wins.  I told my DH when I die to first offer all my unfinished minis, books & supplies to forum members before going the Ebay or thrift store routes.  I also need to remind DS#2, as he is our executor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I am very gradually disposing of some things that I will never use again, but I hate sending it to a thrift store and it is hard sometimes to find someone who really wants it in my area.

Have you considered local school art departments? I donated a lot of Lloyd's craft and art supplies to the school where he attended as a child and later taught art. The current teacher was more than grateful for the donation.

I had a fair amount of large sheets of clean newsprint left from packing. I brought it with me and gave it to my niece the 3rd grade teacher. Teachers all over are forced to buy supplies from their own funds, and the current proposed tax bill takes away their income tax deduction. They are most appreciative!

17 minutes ago, jferstermann said:

need help!

You need to be more specific. Please introduce yourself in the new members forum and post a specific question there. I’m sure someone can help you if it’s dollhouse related.

Those of you wondering who to donate items to , I bet it would go fast if you listed it on this forum lol, and they would pay postage, but then I guess the mailing the packages might be hard for some.

Boy I hear you gals about getting old and now not having the energy to do those things, yet more time. But then sometimes between family, going to the Dr, waiting in line at the pharmacy, and . .....soaking our old feet, if we really do have more time now?  

I worry about getting these things done.  I don't know why.  I also do not want my things thrown out or donated to a big charily. They already have enough.  If nothing else, my kids know how to sell on Ebay  and Etsy to get cash.  Well back to the present...............lol

I can donate some stuff to schools but I know for a fact that they accept it but rarely use it. I was going to donate stuff to the nursing home my husband was in til they asked me to look at their kiln one day, someone had donated it and they didn't know what to do with it. They had a storeroom of boxes ceiling high marked crafts?? the lady who I was with had no idea what was in the boxes or how long they had been there and she was almost annoyed at the donations they got as she had to find room for them. I know 5 teachers who have said exactly that so that is a bit discouraging. eg, my cake making stuff, schools don't want that. I have a pretty decent library of cake making techniques a lot of Debbie Brown books which are ageless especially as fondant cake decorating is becoming more popular over here due to the TV series .I would have to connect to someone who was actually doing that.

I really need to cut down to a few types of things  that I can comfortably do now and let the others go. I seem to be enjoying the houses and that covers a few crafts but everything else is redundant.,

My daughter would not do ebay she might do a freebie posting on Craigs list list but she is more likely to dump it at the local Value Village

I would much rather give it away  myself.

I might just put a few things on the forum here. I could start on my bookcase, I have a file of dollhouse plans I have had a long time that will never get used and quite a few miniature books. I will find the right place to do it.

It is a big worry actually and it is not just craft stuff. My husband used to buy me Cherished teddies, he bought the first one released and continued for a long time, long after I told him I had no more space. so what do you do with more than 200 Cherished teddies LOL and the list goes on!!!

Edited by Jeannine
typhos

Jeannine, you sound a lot like me, I have accumulated so much wonderful stuff,  awesome toys ( bias tape makers etc) , art supplies, airbrushing,sewing machines, fabric, cardstock, paints, a kiln yep you got it,  don't know how to use it. I wanted to do miniature pottery, for my dollhouses and sell a few, but when do I do this? I want to do it all,  Scrapbooking, Journal Making, Sewing both Doll Clothes, Crafts and also my own clothing.  Enough patterns to run to China on! I have  N scale Model Train, N Scale Houses and kits, HO scale too.  I have a 4ft x 4ft N Scale layout in my sewing/craft room........like a huge sore thumb.  I can't move in here anymore but I want to work on the train layout. Thinking about moving it into the kitchen and work on it there. Will have water close by for plaster cloth etc.  I thought about only doing a couple three things like you mentioned, but can't decide.  I am so afraid I will for instance get rid of something I am sorry for........

I really need to stay off the internet more though, I spend hours and hours looking , looking, planning, wishing, wanting, seeing all these other things I want to do. I need to use up some of the stuff I have.  oh well............yep the list goes on! 

What is the problem about using your kiln, if you tell me a bit more about it I can probably help you figure it out. Tell me what make , what model if you can, is it 220 volt   or will it run off regular current in which case it will be small. Do you have the manual. I know a good fair bit as I fired 7 of them in my shop so likely I can tell you what you need to get it sorted. or send me a picture