Winter project underway

Keifer

I’m going to start this post with a quote...

“A fool thinks he knows everything.  But a wise person understands there’s something to learn from everyone.”

I had to step away from this project to gain some perspective.  I just want to say thank you to everyone for their insights.  I was quite rigid in my thinking when it came to this build. When it was mentioned to add a railing, I quickly dismissed it because it was not present in the original.  While I don’t want to deviate to far, I believe this minor change would add a little something that was possibly overlooked.  The main reason I joined this forum was to become a “student” to the vast knowledge and experience that exists here. 

• Like 2

I remember when I finished my stone house and wanted the marble to be grout free to give the affect of beveled stone. No one here was having it. They wanted it grouted!  I was bothered that they couldn’t see my vision. However, the more that I thought about it, I realized they were correct. The stone is currently “V” grouted.

It's a good idea to not be too rigid when it comes to dollhouse building, or much of anything else. The greatest visions and plans that we have in our heads and notebooks are only the starting place of the final product. The more I build and rehab, the more flexible I've become.  

36 minutes ago, Keifer said:

No real progress lately :( but I couldn’t help myself and did a little staging with my chair

CB736116-BBF9-435D-8B28-FA9C5B5F2932.jpeg

That's what minis are for; you have to play with them once you have them!

• 1 month later...

Time to clear off the cobwebs on this one.  Its been over 3 months since any real progress has been made on this project....sad :(  My foray into furniture building halted any progress, so it is time to stop any future furniture projects and get back on track. 

41 minutes ago, Keifer said:

... it is time to ... get back on track. 

Whatever track you're on is the right track. As Holly indicates, there is no law against multitasking. 

Trouble is I am terrible at multitasking.  It gets mentioned on all my reviews at work...”needs to get better at multitasking”.  We’ll see what happens.

Winter has not been kind to my modern house as it is very dusty and in need of some repairs :mad:   The adhesive I used on a certain part must not have liked the cold temps in the garage and has come loose.  It was tricky to do the first time not looking forward to fixing it. 

• 3 hours ago, Keifer said:

Trouble is I am terrible at multitasking.  It gets mentioned on all my reviews at work...”needs to get better at multitasking”.  We’ll see what happens.

Winter has not been kind to my modern house as it is very dusty and in need of some repairs :mad:   The adhesive I used on a certain part must not have liked the cold temps in the garage and has come loose.  It was tricky to do the first time not looking forward to fixing it. 

Phooey! - Multi-tasking is a crock.. it just makes you less efficient and is very distracting.. most science these days will tell you that human minds are not built to multi-task.. do some research on it and have a prepared answer with data for your boss next time.. :D  If you don't believe me do this simple test I had to do in a recent (work related) mindfulness course I had to do.. :rolleyes:
  • count from 1 to 26 as fast as you can and time yourself.
  • Now say the alphabet as fast as you can and time yourself
  • Next say them simultaneously but alternating eg 1a2b3c etc to the end.. and time yourself. 

Guaranteed unless you are some kind of genius you will find that the times of the first two tests added together will be quicker than the third... Take that test to your boss and tell him to stick multi-tasking where the sun don't shine.... then look for another job, because he/she probably wont appreciate it.. :rofl:

Here's an article on the subject with another test. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/creativity-without-borders/201405/the-myth-multitasking

Can you print it out and just leave it on your bosses desk when he's not around?... lol

Here's what I think multitasking is ... Your paying  your bills and kid #1 asks where is my coat you direct him to it while kid  #2 needs his homework and you remind him where he left it while kid #3 is hungry and you let him know what he can snack on then back to your check book without missing a beat or your place and so on ...... :doh: When it comes to work to me it so depends on the job as a customer rep for 6 sales reps you had to be able to help all at once. But once in sales myself I would have to finish each order before proceeding to the next because a mistake on my part could be costly.

Multitasking to me = having a very good memory which I don't have so much any more.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NellBell said:

Here's what I think multitasking is ... Your paying  your bills and kid #1 asks where is my coat you direct him to it while kid  #2 needs his homework and you remind him where he left it while kid #3 is hungry and you let him know what he can snack on then back to your check book without missing a beat or your place and so on ...... :doh: When it comes to work to me it so depends on the job as a customer rep for 6 sales reps you had to be able to help all at once. But once in sales myself I would have to finish each order before proceeding to the next because a mistake on my part could be costly.

Multitasking to me = having a very good memory which I don't have so much any more.

So if I tried that, I would have paid the wrong bill with the wrong check... lol... I once paid a bill online (while I was distracted) with the wrong account code (my husband's instead of mine).. oi! I rang the company and they were like.. Oh, people do that all the time.. no worries, we'll apply it to the right account. :rofl:

I now make sure bill paying happens in complete seclusion. :rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Is building furniture whilst waiting for glue or paint to dry on the build considered multitasking?  I thought it was just efficiently using time.

I think it's more switch tasking (in psychology speak) As you have stopped the first task not been interrupted by the second task or tried to do them simultaneously. It is only efficient if you apply sufficient time to each task to get a good bit of it done accurately. Which given the time some glue takes to dry, I'd say you do. :) 

Well I’m glad I could provide a good debate :p  however I think I used the wrong term.  For me its more a matter of time and focus.  If my employer offered me a cash bonus or more time off, I would take the time off. I certainly don’t sit on my bum and do nothing while waiting for glue to dry but most of the time its like...Ok, I’ve got an hour to work on my hobby what do I focus on.  I haven’t given up on making furniture, I love it too much.   In fact I think I’ve already got my next chair in mind as I really want to challenge my upholstery skills.   

2 hours ago, Keifer said:

Well I’m glad I could provide a good debate :p  however I think I used the wrong term.  For me its more a matter of time and focus.  If my employer offered me a cash bonus or more time off, I would take the time off. I certainly don’t sit on my bum and do nothing while waiting for glue to dry but most of the time its like...Ok, I’ve got an hour to work on my hobby what do I focus on.  I haven’t given up on making furniture, I love it too much.   In fact I think I’ve already got my next chair in mind as I really want to challenge my upholstery skills.   

I like that you would take off the time. You have children and time with them is always for the best . As you can never get that time /age back. I learned the hard way working to much doesn't really pay off for a family if you can take the time off do it.

• Like 1

This is looking fantastic!  Which I'd been a part of this convo from the start!  I'll be watching with interest now though...

As far as multi-tasking goes.  I'm a homeschooling mum of two teens.  We've been homeschooling for ten years  and if I didn't know how to multi-task before then I certainly do now!

• 2 weeks later...

Making slow progress but then again I think my expectations are a bit high.  I got the railing for the stairwell fabricated and installed.  Figured out part 1 of the wiring for the 2nd floor.  Waiting for glue to dry on the light fixtures as I type.  For those late to the party, I am using battery operated lights.  They work well enough for my project but probably not for a traditional dh.  Started making the first cabinet for the 2nd floor, a type of bookcase for what I am calling the music room.   Hope to have some pics of the lights soon.   

9 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Are you using the LED like these?

I had good luck with them on my room box. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Using different ones but I like these, a definite possibility for my next project.  Thanks for the link...I bookmarked that bad boy.   

• 1 month later...

Thought I would update this a bit.  I did finish the outside lights.  Now I’m just plodding along on the 2nd floor.  I’ve noticed I tend to work on one aspect of the house and then move on to something different before finishing whstever I was working on.   It all gets done in the end but its hard to show progress that way. 

9111EDED-6DFA-4949-9427-28CB670644FF.jpeg