Winter project underway

Keifer

• 1 month later...

The bathroom is nearing completion.  Much to my despair, I spent the better part of the afternoon fabricating the hardware for the tub.  Soo much time for two little pieces.  The frosted panel closest will be trimmed down about a 1/4 inch.  I made a second throne for the bathroom which turned out pretty good but turns out you don’t really see it. 

9EB07B9A-8DDC-4BF6-B823-6FDB6988ED0E.jpeg

9 hours ago, Keifer said:

I made a second throne for the bathroom which turned out pretty good but turns out you don’t really see it. 

But you have the satisfaction of knowing that it's there and it's perfect. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Inquiring minds want to know what you used for the tub handle?

I am assuming you are refering to the knob to turn the water on.  I used those double sided pins that are used in mdf furniture to hold shelves in position using predrilled holes.  I don’t have a bench vice (really need to get one though) so I stuck the pin in my drill to hold it while I used my dremel to cut off half the pin.  They are some tough metal, lots of sparks.  

56 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I used those double sided pins that are used in mdf furniture to hold shelves in position using predrilled holes.

Clever you! I thought it looked familiar but couldn't place it. Now it's obvious. :D 

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

I am assuming you are refering to the knob to turn the water on.  I used those double sided pins that are used in mdf furniture to hold shelves in position using predrilled holes.  I don’t have a bench vice (really need to get one though) so I stuck the pin in my drill to hold it while I used my dremel to cut off half the pin.  They are some tough metal, lots of sparks.  

Yes, and the sparks would probably stop me in my tracks.  I have been using earring backs:

Image result for pierced earring locking backs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keifer said:

I used those double sided pins that are used in mdf furniture to hold shelves in position using predrilled holes.

Brilliant.  I'm sorry it took longer than you wanted to make the hardware, as I know how frustrating that can be.  But it was definitely worth it.  Your bathroom really looks beautiful.

On 8/17/2018, 12:49:14, havanaholly said:

Yes, and the sparks would probably stop me in my tracks.  I have been using earring backs:

Image result for pierced earring locking backs

I like that idea Holly.  Can you buy just backs?  I don’t think my wife would like me raiding her earrings.  

On 8/17/2018, 12:50:32, Debsrand56 said:

Brilliant.  I'm sorry it took longer than you wanted to make the hardware, as I know how frustrating that can be.  But it was definitely worth it.  Your bathroom really looks beautiful.

Thank you.  I can’t wait to see it all lit up. 

Thanks holly.  I will be using LEDs for the lights but they are craft lights and not as bright( battery operated as well).  For my next build I will be researching other options.  I do like the warmth they add tho.

Also I tried a different glue for the canisters this time, clear Gorilla glue.  It takes a lot longer to set up than I am used to but once it does...VERY strong. 

I’ve made some pretty good progress on the structure, I’d say about 90% complete.  All the lighting is complete.  So soon I will be turning my attention to the landscaping around the house.  Before I can do that though I must do the border around the base that the house sits on.  

For the border I plan on doing a wooden tile type border (using a 1x2 cut into slices).  If my math is correct I will need 576 tiles to wrap around the whole base.  After cutting them all, they will need to be stained.   

Oh, this is looking great Keith! I love your bathroom fixtures and for future reference yes, you can just buy earring backs. They are in the jewellery making section of your local craft store or online. Your wife will thank you if you buy rather than raid:rolleyes:

I don’t have a pattern in mind just yet but this is what the base will look like.  I’m really anxious to get this house in some natural light, the camera keeps playing with the colors in a lot of my pics. 

CA7879E1-F832-411A-AD05-A6041F819F34.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

I don’t have a pattern in mind just yet but this is what the base will look like.  I’m really anxious to get this house in some natural light, the camera keeps playing with the colors in a lot of my pics. 

CA7879E1-F832-411A-AD05-A6041F819F34.jpeg

Wow! I love that! This is such an impressive build:clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Update...the finish line is in sight now.  The structure is about 95% complete, I got a few difficult things that I’m avoiding right now, if I’m being honest.  In the meantime I’m trying my hand at a little landscaping.  So far so good but I have no idea about the other 2/3rds of landscaping area.  I’m sure it will come to me. 

E38BDCDB-B536-4035-9032-3FC7CAF133E8.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Keifer said:

Update...the finish line is in sight now.  The structure is about 95% complete, I got a few difficult things that I’m avoiding right now, if I’m being honest.  In the meantime I’m trying my hand at a little landscaping.  So far so good but I have no idea about the other 2/3rds of landscaping area.  I’m sure it will come to me. 

This is spectacular Keith. Do some Pintrest browsing on RL landscapes and I bet you will be inspired.  I love the contrast of the red with the green grass and wood base.

• Like 1