Winter project underway

Keifer

As I was sitting on my couch one night thumbing thru pintrest(as I do almost everyday...sigh) I came across a modern mini house and fell in love.  This was after I had finished the moduler rooms for my daughters DH, so I was already in the mini frame of mind. I showed it to the fam and said “isn’t that just the coolest”.  My daughter said “daddy you should make something like that” in the background I heard a sarcastic voice say “yeah right”. At that point the voice in my head said “challenge accepted”

So as I eluded to in my new member introduction I am recreating a modern house done by Carlos Marino...wish me luck.  I will have progress pics up soon but not much to see right now.  I am aiming for a spring completion date. 

Edited by Keifer
Typo
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I am aiming for a spring completion date.

:rofl: What is this completion date of which you speak? Somehow, when I think the project is finished, my houses always seem to want something more.

• Like 5

Thought I should get some sort of progress pic up. I thought some might be questioning if I was serious about tackling such a project.  I decided to call it a recreation rather than a replica, replica suggests a strong closeness to the original.  My version will not be as exact since all measurements and details must be sourced from photos.  That being said...welcome to my madness. 

• Like 1

Thank you!  You will want to start an album in the gallery here and link u to your progress pictures, or else copy and paste them into your posts; there is a bandwidth limit to the number of photos you can post directly; there is no limit to the number of pictures you can put in your albums and then copy to post here.

Progress update...well I’ve made some but that spring completion date is starting to seem a bit optimistic, we’ll say late spring I mean technically summer doesn’t start til june.  I finished the flooring for the main floor and got that glued in place. I went for a stained concrete kind of look, it has a slight shine to it but doesn’t show up well in pics. I finished what will be the main cabinets for the kitchen area and the island is about 75% done.  The outside of the roof section is complete, however I am still working on a solution for the interior.  A big hurdle in the progress of the main floor is the stairwell at the back of the house which I find myself avoiding due to its intimidating nature.  Hope to have pics up soon. 

12 minutes ago, Keifer said:

A big hurdle in the progress of the main floor is the stairwell at the back of the house which I find myself avoiding due to its intimidating nature.

It's times like this that we invoke a favorite mantra of Tracy (Minis on the Edge), our administrator: It may be hard by the yard, but it's a cinch by the inch.

4 hours ago, KathieB said:

It's times like this that we invoke a favorite mantra of Tracy (Minis on the Edge), our administrator: It may be hard by the yard, but it's a cinch by the inch.

Your words of encouragement worked.  I actually started working on the stairwell today, didn’t get real far but its started and thats the hardest part sometimes.  Thanks for the kick in the butt. 

35 minutes ago, Keifer said:

Thanks for the kick in the butt.

That's why we're here. :D Now, if somebody would kick me off the computer and into the studio ... *sigh*

UPDATE...Well I finished the stairwell enclosure, just have to add stairs.  Got the back wall secured in place and the posts anchored down.  Next is to finish the roof and at that point I’ll actually have something resembling a building.

I have discovered that my initial measurements are probably off and had to make adjustments along the way.  So some of the spacial relationships might look a bit forced but I think the end result will still look ok. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lights, camera, action....well just lights. I started working on the lighting for the main floor, so far so good.  I hope to have pics in a couple of days or so.  Holidays are my busy times (I work for a food distributor).  After the main floor is complete the production may take a little break due to budget constraints.  Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keifer said:

budget constraints

Ahhhh ... here's where we leap to the challenge! Tell us what you need and we'll figure out how to do it on a shoestring or less. :D 

Grrrr...or should I say brrrr.  This cold weather in my neck of the woods is making it hard to work on my project.  We are in the single digits here and my hobby space is in a detached garage with just a little space heater.  Hovering around 50 degrees, not sure how the glue will react.  It is winter I guess, just a bummer thats all.   

• Like 1