Winter project underway

Keifer

Yes, the decking worked out very well!  It's beautiful, and the glass doors are genius.  And being very practical, I love them because I think, "He'll have to dust less!"  You don't really think about the fact that miniature furniture gathers dust, too, just like regular furniture.

34 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I haven’t figured out how to photograph thru glass and not get bad reflections.  

If you can approach at a slight angle, it might help minimize reflections ... like photographers tell folks who wear glasses to tilt them a bit for portraits.

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

I haven’t figured out how to photograph thru glass and not get bad reflections.  

Try not using flash head on....I photograph fish in aquariums from time to time and the need to be lighted from above or the side...A builders flood lamp is good try different positions with the lighting...Regards C 

2 hours ago, Samusa said:

you are really doing a fantastic job in recreating it! :D 

Thank you.  It has been an enlightening learning experience and as daunting as it seemed in the beginning, I am not regreting starting this build.  A few times I have thought about changing/adding things to it but I decided that I want to remain true to recreating it as best I can.  While I admire the style, its lacking a certain flair that I would add if it were my creation.  

So I consider this a warm up to my next project which is to design my own modern dwelling. 

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

...While I admire the style, its lacking a certain flair that I would add if it were my creation.  

So I consider this a warm up to my next project which is to design my own modern dwelling. 

Once you get a couple of builds under your belt you can always go back nd personalize this one.

I almost have them ready to paint/stain, haven’t decided yet.  They ended up being steeper than I wanted due to some poor measurements of mine in the beginning stages of the project.  They rise at about a 55 degree angle. Fortunately the way the house is designed you only get a glimpse of them.  Its just one of those things that I’ll know about and will bug me. 

I did originally think about staining them so I probably will test it out on an extra stair step I have.  It will have to be a light stain though because where they meet up with the 2nd floor it will be a light floor and I don’t want too much contrast.  

26 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Will you be putting in a railing/banister?

Thank you.  No railng/banister, it wouldn’t really be noticable.  You are only going to see the top 3 or 4 steps and on the bottom, the only viewing angle will be straight on into the door opening so only the bottom step is visible.  Smoke and mirrors ya know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

Thank you.  No railng/banister, it wouldn’t really be noticable.  You are only going to see the top 3 or 4 steps and on the bottom, the only viewing angle will be straight on into the door opening so only the bottom step is visible.  Smoke and mirrors ya know. 

Smoke and mirrors only works if you make the suggestion Keith and think of it this way.......it will take an hour, a day, maybe a little more to devise a way of getting a stair rail in....even a suggestion of a stair rail.........and you will feel so much better.........otherwise each time your creation is looked at in the future you'll feel impelled to tell the viewer........'There's no stair rail'!

Even though they probably wouldn't have noticed anyway!

Looking good though!

They look so good! Well done! I agree.. with Mike.. feign a stair rail some how. You will be glad you did.. it's those little hidden things that make these builds so fun. :D