Making Minis Out of Old Objects

MiniMaven

I came across this article about a guy who makes minis out of old objects...they mention he made a movie box office out of an old trophy. http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/columns/miniaturist-with-models-coming-to-kenmore-repurposes-everyday-items-in/article_40a914c1-8129-56fa-b0b3-071d42fb4320.html

I'm curious to hear if anyone else regularly does this and what kind of objects you've used.

• Like 2

Me.  I have all of Patricia King's books; this the one that got me started:  https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/making-victorian-dolls-house-furniture_patricia-king/547815/

I made my first stove from one of her books, which I describe here:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=entry&id=382  I now make almost everything I put into the houses I build.

Helen Ruthberg is another one who makes minis out of found objects; she the one I learned from how to twist paperclips into mini wire hangers.

• Like 2

Many of us use regular household objects for our builds and furnishings. My favorite reuse was from an old radio antenna, pen spring and two eyelets. I made a modern kitchen faucet from these materials. Miniaturists develop an eye for creating minis out of bits and pieces.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sable said:

Many of us use regular household objects for our builds and furnishings. My favorite reuse was from an old radio antenna, pen spring and two eyelets. I made a modern kitchen faucet from these materials. Miniaturists develop an eye for creating minis out of bits and pieces.

Geez I just threw out a pen spring, and you know I looked at it, thinking could I do something with this lol 

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Me.  I have all of Patricia King's books; this the one that got me started:  https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/making-victorian-dolls-house-furniture_patricia-king/547815/

I made my first stove from one of her books, which I describe here:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=entry&id=382  I now make almost everything I put into the houses I build.

Helen Ruthberg is another one who makes minis out of found objects; she the one I learned from how to twist paperclips into mini wire hangers.

Your stove looks really good Holly

I am a member of a forum where the members make or repurpose everyday household items or throwaways into miniatures.  It is called "Dollhouse Miniatures Made From Trash to Treasures & Found Items."  I read the newspaper article by Rob Hedelt in a Fredericksburg, VA newspaper mentioned in your post above and I was blown away by James Opher, the miniaturist featured in that article; his work and plus he is a fellow resident of Riichmond, VA.  I never knew about him until I read that article.  I was feeling like I was the only one in Richmond who loved miniatures.  I just never heard of any mini clubs, stores (brick & mortars), trade shows of any kind in or near Richmond.  I shared that article about Mr. Opher with my group and now I am beginning to hear from other Virginian miniaturists and hopefully will hear of shows that are near-by that  are easy and convenient to get to.

• Like 3

I read and shared that article on Mr. Orpher with another group I belong to yesterday and many of the members responded so well to that newspaper article and many still were when I checked back this morning. Thank you for sharing it. In the attached photos are items I used to make a coat tree to go in a little girl's nursery setting: a plastic drinking straw, wooden dowel, pins with beaded heads, large, wooden bear head beads and a wooden button as the base. These items were not necessarily old but most were repurposed household things.

REPURPOSED1.jpg

REPURPOSED2.jpg

REPURPOSED3.jpg

• Like 2

The life-size lamp base with a mini room setting built inside was made with five 5" X 7" photo frames.  I found the idea in a miniature magazine but I have adjusted the original a bit to my liking.  I just completed another lamp that is electrified (mini light fixtures & lamps).  I will post a photo of it at a later date.

5.jpg

10.jpg

7.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Nell. That coat tree with the little pink n white dress hanging on it went into a life-size lamp base with a little girl's nursery setting built inside was to commemorate the birth of my very first GREAT GRANDCHILD.  I just ordered a brass name plate with her name and birth date and when it arrives I will place it on the lamp base, take photos and share it with you all.  My great granddaughter is almost 2 years old and just became big sister to my very first GREAT GRANDSON on November 20th.  That's why I purchased the large bear head beads in blue along with the pink ones.

• Like 1

I thought perhaps you had made the silhouettes or had them shrunk down, and was wondering where you got the frames.  I'm always on the lookout for things I can make myself, and mini silhouettes ain't gonna happen in my lifetime!

• Like 1

Holly - the silhouettes are tiny, flat, metal plaques with an enamel-like finish and are very, very inexpensive, are sold as a pair but still dirt cheap. I paid no more than $2.00 or $3.00 per pair.  I recently purchased a pair (from where I do not recall) of a little girl & boy for the little girl's nursery setting built in the life-size lamp base mentioned above which I will post a photo of at a later date.  If you scroll up to the photos of the coat tree I made with the little pink & white dress hanging on it, etc. - these are photos of that nursery setting but not within the base yet. Those silhouettes are hanging on the wall of that scene.

On 12/1/2017, 3:40:09, havanaholly said:

Ditto! I found that book at a thrift store, and I look through it often for ideas

I have an old cabinet that I've never done anything with. It's from the 30's I think, and I've had it at least 15 years. I've been eyeing it lately, thinking I could redo the shelves and turn it into a "dollhouse." I think I could fit in three stories with two generous rooms on each floor. I have a few really nice furniture pieces that just won't fit in any build I've done so far, so it would be nice to be able to use them.     

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017, 9:32:06, Jeannine said:

I was thrilled to see the first link, thank you to the poster, and was really excited in the words he said "The GROWING number of miniaturists..yeah

Thanks, Jeannine! My friend who lives down there sent it my way. That man is absolutely adorable and so talented. Looking back, as a kid, I remember using all kinds of random things to make miniatures...a Kodak film can became a garbage can, a paper clip became a hanger, I used to make scarves for my dolls out of dish rags. I didn't get up to our local miniatures store that much, so necessity became the mother of invention as they say!

• Like 1