Making Minis Out of Old Objects

MiniMaven

On 12/2/2017, 12:17:06, tilliejam62 said:

I read and shared that article on Mr. Orpher with another group I belong to yesterday and many of the members responded so well to that newspaper article and many still were when I checked back this morning. Thank you for sharing it. In the attached photos are items I used to make a coat tree to go in a little girl's nursery setting: a plastic drinking straw, wooden dowel, pins with beaded heads, large, wooden bear head beads and a wooden button as the base. These items were not necessarily old but most were repurposed household things.

REPURPOSED1.jpg

REPURPOSED2.jpg

REPURPOSED3.jpg

This is all so sweet and creative! What a darling nursery. I have some straws like that and they are surprisingly sturdy, they would be great for all kinds of projects. I get them at Tuesday Mornings in all kinds of colors. 

• Like 1

rI sent a message to Mr. Orpher right after I read the news article you posted MiniMaven and received a response today.  The photos in the article didn't really show his work very clearly, in other words, did not do him justice and I really didn't see much of it on his Facebook Page.  I am anxious to see his creations up close and personal and since he lives here in Richmond too I might get that chance sooner than later.  He told me he belongs to a miniature group that meet the first Sunday of each month and invited me to check it out..  I invited him to check our online, trash to treasure mini forum.  I raved about Orpher and shared the article with my group and many were blown away. Your friend down here in VA belongs to that forum does she not?  I have to go back and check her name.

The news article mentioned an exhibit being held in Fredericksburg, VA starting yesterday, the 3rd through the 30th and also a few days in January where she will be displaying her work and so will he. She told our mini forum about the fabulous old, historical movie theater he created (you can see it somewhat in the photo of him in the news article where he is sitting in front of it). Also there are photos of the ticket booth he made from an old trophy and a photo of some of the theater chairs.  There is an old, historical movie theater here in Richmond that looks more like a museum inside and it is a Virginia historical landmark well over 80 years old but still a thriving movie theater.  I Saw a movie there once.  I really think Orpher fashioned his mini theater after that theater, The Byrd Theater.  I will ask him the next time I write him. Its  gorgeous inside.  Some times after the movies run, a massive organ rises from under the stage floor while the organist plays music.  Notice in the article there is a photo of a mini organ next to a stage. 

THEATER2.jpg

THEATER3.jpg

THEATER.jpg

Hey MiniMaven:  Is your friend here in VA Margaret Severson from Alexandria, VA?  She is the member of my online, mini trash to treasure group who knows Mr. Orpher and is exhibiting her work in Fredericksburg, VA this month along with Orpher.

I wish I could be a the recipient too Linda but notice that much of the items in his storehouse is massive.  The article even brought that out in so many words,  I bearly have room in my apartment for my own stuff.  LOL  I am dying to see that theater.  Our group member, Margaret S. saw it and said that on the stage the movie screen actually shows the movie, "Its A Wonderful Life"  - awesome.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tilliejam62 said:

Hey MiniMaven:  Is your friend here in VA Margaret Severson from Alexandria, VA?  She is the member of my online, mini trash to treasure group who knows Mr. Orpher and is exhibiting her work in Fredericksburg, VA this month along with Orpher.

Hi Tillie, no, my friend isn't active in the dollhouse/miniatures community, she just lives down there, saw the article, and sent it my way knowing my interest in minis. My store has a Facebook page, which I mostly populate with cool stories about miniatures as opposed to "Buy this!" I have this article scheduled to be published this week. I'm so happy you are able to touch base with him. Post as many photos as you can!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Follow-up to the artist, James E. Opher  in Richmond, VA and the newspaper article about him shared by MiniMaven.  Here is a link to a YouTube video about a show and exhibit that he shared in last month in Fredericksburg, VA which the newspaper article also mentioned.  If the link does not work then you can look-up the video on YouTube - it's entitled, Wee Christmas - 2017 Dollhouse and Miniatures. The video runs very quickly and is very short but you can get to see Mr. Opher's movie theater in action; showing the movie, It's A Wonderful Life in its entirety on its screen.  I have been in touch with him several times and look fwd to seeing his creations in person. He not only makes miniatures but he restores/renovate dollhouses. 

Link below:

http://youtu.be/dr8KXP.vT50