My First Doll House Kit

Kathy Jardine

Hi, Kathy, and welcome to the forum. :)

You'll find several opinions of what glue to use. Some rely on wood glues, others on white glues, like Aileen's Tacky Glue. Don't use hot glue, despite what the instructions say. The vintage instructions were written before the quality of glue sticks changed. Today's hot glue will eventually harden and cause the house to fall apart.

Before gluing, however, do a dry fit of the pieces. That is, slot them together and hold in place with masking or painter's tape. You'll find tabs that need to be shaved or slots that need to be enlarged. It's an extra step (or more, if it means assembling and taking apart sections more than once to achieve the perfect fit), but it's worth it.

There are several threads here that discuss tools, but to start, you'll need sandpaper and/or emery boards, a utility knife/box cutter and/or an eXacto knife (each with lots of new blades). Power tools are not necessary, but a rotary tool, like a Dremel, with both drill bits and sanding drums can be useful. 

The Westville can be constructed using just these few tools. 

When you have other questions -- notice I didn't say IF you have other questions -- it's better to post in the General Mini Talk area, as more members will see your post and can respond. 

Have fun!

Kathy, miniatures.com is one of the bigger websites people use. It's real name is Hobby Builders Supply. They also offer a free catalog so be sure to have one sent, you can sign up for it on their website. When I first started in dollhouses I had young kids and almost zero budget so window shopping with the catalog was a favorite way to pass the time and I learned a lot in the process as far as what's available, etc. Then they send a new catalog with new products every month or so. 

That being said, anything you need can be ordered with lower shipping costs on eBay, that's what I use. Search word Dollhouse Miniatures. Then find sub catagories from there. Be sure you're buying 1/12 scale and not half scale (1/24). 

I know how you feel! I've been building dollhouses for quite a few years off and on but I'm just getting started in making porcelain dolls to go in them, it's so exciting to start learning something new :) 

Wow! I never thought of making porcelain dolls. I am a graphic artist and love this kind of stuff. I have a room in my house that I call the princess room with old antiques and large porcelain dolls. Is there a website that you use to begin the process of making the dolls as this would be of interest to me as well. Thank you so much for the reply

Kind regards,

Kathy

Well I'm just learning about the process as well and I just (literally this morning) took the plunge to buying a kiln.  So far I've only costumed, wigged and painted a few dolls from kits but I quickly fell in love with everything about it. Now I'm working on a Mother and two daughters for my Christmas house. If you want to see if it's something you'd like to do by starting with a kit, they're available from minikitz.com, they also have patterns etc. They're already painted but you can redo the paint yourself with acrylics if you don't like it. 

Its actually quite a dying art to be honest as most people are working in polymer clay now days and suppliers, molds, kits and blanks (unpainted) are becoming very scarce which is why I bought a kiln now and molds before they disappear all together. 

Just for a fun site to look at for learning and tutorials try Miniatureart.com 

http://miniatureart.com/

Hi, Kathy, I make most of what goes into my houses.  I have been doing this for a few years and KathieB named off my most frequently used tools.  I rarely buy mini anything unless I run across one at a very good price, like in a thrift store.  I make the dolls in my houses out of polymer clay.

Good Sunday morning Kathy.  Let me welcome you too and how nice that you found this site that will become one of your 'new best friends' throughout your build.  I happened on the site almost 4 years ago when I was trying to add electricity to my very first dollhouse and hit a rough spot.  You will always find an answer and encouragement here.  How exciting - a 'first build'.  Throughout your build you will find areas that are of particular interest to you, opening up all sorts of new adventures.  I found a good-quality wood glue was great for joining walls but with wood glue you have to be careful to remove that excess that squishes out or you will have to sand very hard to get that off once it dries.  But the joined parts are SO solid with wood glue so I still stick with it for the walls/foundation joining.  You'll probably try many different glues for all of the other stuff - and wind up with a couple that you find work in different circumstances.  I use Beacon 3-N-1 for upholstering and tiny details - because its clear and you have a little 'wiggle time' before it dries.  (Very messy though when you get it on your fingers).  I hope you'll have a wonderful time and enjoy getting to know some of these real pros.  Best wishes!

Thank you, I live in Calgary, Canada and I have been to several hobby stores and there is not much selection for any doll house accessories but I have

gone on line for a catalogue to be sent. I did see that there were kits to build your own furniture and am just wondering if any one uses these.

Kind regards,

Kathy

Yes, hobby stores that carry dollhouse-related things these days are few and far between.  Michaels used to carry some but no longer.  I would highly recommend the House of Miniature furniture kits because they're fun to put together, the pieces fit together perfectly (usually), plus its really good insight into possibly trying your own creations later on.  You can find the kits at swap meets and eBay fairly reasonable priced a lot of the time.  Miniatures.com is also one of my favorite catalog shops to peruse and just as Karin mentioned (Wyked Wood?) I too used to look at the catalog for inspiration and to let myself get carried away in its magic.  I still have the catalogs right next to my work space.  

I sure hope you're going to love your experience!

Mini Mundus makes some really nice furniture kits, I've made their sewing table:

my Wolfmeister doll

and their upright piano & bench (with my own fabric on the bench) the tester bed is a Shenandoah kit; I think they're no longer in business.:

the finished interior:  the parlor

The dining room set used to be sold by Northwestern Scale Lumber, but they, alas, are no more.  The case clock is House of Miniatures.

Welcome Kathy!! So exciting to start your first house!! I have a Westville kit waiting in the wings, so I'm excited to see what you do with it.

In addition to all of the above fabulous suggestions, I would add to start a folder or binder for your build. I use the cheap school folders with brads and pockets, and put a handful of sheets of notebook paper in it, I keep the instructions in the front pocket, then use the blank paper for all the rest. To-do lists, ideas, sketches, shopping lists, measurements, paint samples, etc. It helps to keep it all together, and I tend to get ideas lying in bed or while looking at catalogues, so it's nice to have everything together to refer back to.

• Like 1

Super idea Linda.  I also keep one of the large 'flat rate' shipping boxes (the tall kind) for each build so that when I'm done I can set the leftovers of wallpapers, maybe some of the painted trim, instructions, a few shingles - anything bulky that doesn't fit into the folder.  Every once in a while I find I need a 'touch up' of something and I can go right to that box and know the supplies in there will 'match'.  I think keeping things organized is actually part of the fun.  

• Like 2

Pat, that's a great idea! Will have to do that on my current builds. And just yesterday I was putting a new kit on the stack in the garage and found a big ziplock bag of parts. It took me a minute to remember what they were for -a kit that was supposed to be "new" but windows and doors and some trim had been started, and for some reason I kept them out of the box. I need to put them in a box and label them.

I haven't built that many houses but I HAVE had to get back into those boxes later on for one reason or another.  I remember the first time I found myself looking through the first dollhouse box a couple of years later and I felt this WASH of relief that everything was right there.  Those boxes take up very little room in the closet too.  I label the outside of the boxes and I keep their 'folders' right inside.  But you know what I wish was easier - having 'inspiration' folders that had bigger pockets because I seem to want to add so many odd things for inspiration.  Do you find that too?  

• Like 1

YES!! Once I have even a vague plan for a house, it gets it's own folder, and any pages torn from magazines or catalogues go in there. I've started a folder just for random things I find that I like, but don't have any real plan for. Scraps and bits of pictures of architecture, color schemes, furniture placement, flooring, accessories, paint chips, whatever. If I was more tech savvy I would scan them and keep them on the computer, but I like my scraps of paper.   

Not many people come into my sewing/craft room but it must be almost laughable to others because we mini lovers collect the oddest things, thinking one day it might come in handy in some way.  Plastic from milk bottles, cardboard cereal boxes, caps to bottles.  My entire window sill above my two work desks is lined with containers of toothpicks, wood bits, wire pieces, used condiment cups (cleaned of course), etc.  And I have the folders of different papers, printed flooring, photos.  Its always fun to sit and look through the folders again when I'm trying to organize or rearrange.