Grandpa's new project

BigC

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Colin, the verdict is in. You are found to be having more fun than is allowed by law. :D 

Hahahaha...the DH Police are after me already :)

Well it is what it is...I am enjoying my time on this project. all the plans are in my head..I know what I want the house to look like..it may look boring to some and I suppose I have no right to be anywhere near the big boys playing field being a total novice...but I will make the house and learn by my mistakes it may not be totally a purists idea of a 1/12 scale Georgian Terrace but we shall see when its finished so please don't be too hyper critical at this stage..I need to learn to walk first....

As promised some pics.

Constructive criticism is always greatly accepted

Regards

C

quions1.jpg

quions2.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigC said:

...I am enjoying my time on this project. all the plans are in my head..I know what I want the house to look like....but I will make the house and learn by my mistakes....

There's a bandwidth limit to the number of pictures you can directly import into your posts; there is no limit to how many photos you can post in the albums you make in the Gallery here.  Your "little" house is speaking to you and telling you what it wants.  If your wife wants this one, I foresee a long, lovely path of dollhouse building for each of the grands (forts or castles for the boys, perhaps).

• Like 1

Bravo! :clap: It's looking fabulous so far. No wonder your wife wants it... I want it too! :D 

It looks like you are a dab hand with the woodworking tools, which puts you ahead of the game in this hobby.  

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

There's a bandwidth limit to the number of pictures you can directly import into your posts; there is no limit to how many photos you can post in the albums you make in the Gallery here.  Your "little" house is speaking to you and telling you what it wants.  If your wife wants this one, I foresee a long, lovely path of dollhouse building for each of the grands (forts or castles for the boys, perhaps).

Thanks Holly..I didn't know that...at some point I should really be thinking about collectively keeping all the build shots in one room..thanks for the heads up.

2 hours ago, Samusa said:

It looks like you are a dab hand with the woodworking tools, which puts you ahead of the game in this hobby.  

:) I muddle through hahahaha

To save a lot of hassle, cost and time I think I may want to go with an embossed red brick wallpaper for the above two thirds of the house...Has anyone had any experience with using this method other than real brick slips??...Will it look pretty authentic and aesthetically pleasing...??

Embossed Brick Wallpaper

Regards

C

diy647.jpg

1 minute ago, BigC said:

To save a lot of hassle, cost and time I think I may want to go with an embossed red brick wallpaper for the above two thirds of the house...Ha anyone had any experience with using this method other than real brick slips??...Will it look pretty authentic and aesthetically pleasing...??

Embossed Brick Wallpaper

With the amount of thoughtful, skilled craftsmanship you are applying to the build so far, I don't think you'd be happy with paper bricks for that much coverage, embossed or not. It might work for small areas, where it wouldn't be front and center, but for such a significant part of the house? ... :hmm: 

What is this saving time and hassle nonsense? You know you're going to spend as much time as it takes to meet your own high standards, and you will fuss with it as long a necessary to get it just right. As for cost -- I can see that. Your routed lines on the ground floor turned out well -- very well. Can you route grout lines to delineate the bricks  on the upper floors and paint them? (Prime with grout color all over, then sponge brick colors onto the brick surfaces.) It would be sweat equity well invested, I think.

• Like 1

Wow Wise Words indeed Kathie...

My original plan was to cut very thin sheet of plywood , mark out all the brick lines and then router very small grooves into this using the Dremel tool once more...paint the bricks with an authentic red brick dust/ PVA glue mix and the same into the fine pointing using a grey dust....very time consuming but as you say I may not be pleased with the wallpaper

Similar to your idea of painting a base coat (Grey) then sponge the brick dust/PVA glue mix on top....that may look awesome

You are absolutely correct....thanks for your honest and forthright opinion Kathie...it is much appreciated.

Regards

C

1 hour ago, BigC said:

My original plan ... router very small grooves... using the Dremel tool ... paint the bricks with an authentic red brick dust/ PVA glue mix and the same into the fine pointing using a grey dust. ...

Similar to your idea of painting a base coat (Grey) then sponge the brick dust/PVA glue mix on top..

Great minds think alike, eh? :D 

• Like 1

I'm working on the roof at the minute...giving me a few headaches, angles and needing 3 pairs of hands lol...Anyway I think I have something passable. I will post some images later when I have cleaned it up and made it more presentable.....and Kathie...I wont be using wallpaper for the roof tiles hahahahahaha

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

With the look you're going for, either continue the blocks, at least on the front,, and KathieB's suggestion for the rest of the brickwork.

I think it would be best Holly..given the time and effort thus far....although not every angle and cut has gone to plan I have had to adjust and re construst on the fly as and when problems presented themselves....still learning but enjoying the experience....I may not go with 4 sets of quoin stones on the front though it maybe looks a little too much very castle looking, I think I'll leave them for the sides and maybe go with pillars or something....still thinking...my heads full of silly ideas :)

13 minutes ago, BigC said:

.....and Kathie...I wont be using wallpaper for the roof tiles hahahahahaha...I have had to adjust and re construst on the fly as and when problems presented themselves....still learning but enjoying the experience...my heads full of silly ideas :)

I sometimes use sandpaper for shingles and I have used construction paper for roof slates.  You have discovered some of what fascinates me with this hobby.  The idea only seem silly until we give them expression.

• Like 1

Glue drying so no pictures just yet, but the roof is on and like I mentioned earlier I have decided not to go with the 4 lots of quoin stone stacks....I shall be keeping the outside ones and I have made 2 long pillars (debating wither or not to flute them before sticking to the frame) I have added a little pilaster coping at the roof so it all blends in....they align with the roof gables perfectly so the chimney stacks will follow that line through also.

A word on chimney stacks and pots if I may...I am currently researching the brick and plaster work for the stack but have no idea what size a clay chimney pot is in 1/12 scale ..I dont want to make the stack and find that the pot looks odd...can anyone give me a size please is possible....

PS. I dont like the long types

Regards

C

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

There is a forum thread on making chimney pots here. The site for the Romney pots that MikeUK mentions are here.

Additional options here.

Thank you Kathie... :)

"The Story so Far"

Roof to finish...roof perimeter balustrade to attach, possible dormers to the sides, chimney stacks to make and attach. Slate tiles, Ridge tiles, and lead flashing...Lots to do :(

front1.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Would the fluting be easier before or after installing them?

Nothing is stuck down yet Holly (nothing is written in stone lol) and yes if I'm going to flute them I will do them before the final fix...just working out the best way to do things, looks like this Dremel tool was a good investment even though it was never purchased for this job :) 

I love my Dremels.  I have one Mototool set up in my drill press and another one hangs from the tool board ready for routing or sanding, although my Stylus sits in its recharger on my workbench for close work and I have a Trio on the work board for cutting door and window openings when I want to change things.

• Like 1

I have ordered another 7 of the opening sash windows and I am going to place 2 astride the door, I think they look ok, now that I've achieved some degree of separation with the mid section wall at the front...I did order another 9 pane window in the vane effort to make the lower level different but it came back similar as before and didn't really match in with the sash'ed type...so lets move forward :) ...I expect they wont arrive until after the Christmas Holidays now so I will crack on with the roof section.

Regards

C

1.jpg

On 12/17/2017, 10:11:22, BigC said:

Glue drying so no pictures just yet, but the roof is on and like I mentioned earlier I have decided not to go with the 4 lots of quoin stone stacks....I shall be keeping the outside ones and I have made 2 long pillars (debating wither or not to flute them before sticking to the frame) I have added a little pilaster coping at the roof so it all blends in....they align with the roof gables perfectly so the chimney stacks will follow that line through also.

A word on chimney stacks and pots if I may...I am currently researching the brick and plaster work for the stack but have no idea what size a clay chimney pot is in 1/12 scale ..I dont want to make the stack and find that the pot looks odd...can anyone give me a size please is possible....

PS. I dont like the long types

Regards

C

I just came across this seller today. He has all kind of architectural things, including Chimney pots.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/278848428/502-ornate-single-chimney-pot-dollhouses?ref=shop_home_active_38

• Like 1