Grandpa's new project

BigC

I am so sorry to hear that!  I also have found that miniatures in the same scale can vary wildly in size, and I know how frustrating it is to find something that you think will be perfect, only for it to be too large (or too small).  The good thing (if there is one) is that now that you've seen the parts and how they relate to each other, fashioning your own may be easier, and honestly, after seeing your other work, I know you can do it.

• Like 2

Hi Collin,

I don't post much - usually in spurts, but I do love to follow everyone's projects, and your journey has been such a pleasure! The build is looking fantastic, and I have no doubt that you will overcome these disappointments and create an heirloom for your family to treasure.

When I saw your previous post about buying the drainpipe, I immediately thought of how Brae tackled the issue on her amazing Heritage build. How ironic to see your post today, go to get Brae's link for you, then see she'd commented above (probably too humble to point you to her own blog). Here's the link to her blog, which I believe you have been directed to before regarding the egg carton bricks. Maybe you will find something in her posts about gutters and drainpipes that will be of value in your situation:

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/gutters-and-downspouts

You'll come up with something perfect - I believe in you!

Jodi

• Like 2

You know what...you guys are totally amazing...You comments have brightened up an otherwise dull day for me...I know now that I will have to be careful in buying almost anything for this build, fireplaces etc etc...Today was a low point, so I will have to fashion most of my initial build components myself due to uncertainty surrounding scale size. Even before a comment was made I was already reading Brae's blog, such attention to detail and I could do a lot worse than to follow otterine's lead.

I got a little fed up after all of today's events, so much so that I just tidied up the right-hand-side of the building and got the paintbrush out. Colour wise I think its OK. and should look better once completed. He says......although grouting will be left until the very end.

Again Thank You everyone for assuring me that all is not lost and maybe still maybe this build is still on the right track.

Regards C

paint1.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I liked the brown/ beige bricks, but the darker color just sings.  I hope you post a photo of the granddaughters face when she sees what her grandpa has made for her!

I think that will be some way off yet Holly lol There is more work to building a DH than I ever could have imagined..frustrating as it may be sometimes..My brain is fried working on all the aspects..I should really switch off but I cant seem to do so...its that addictive lol

4 hours ago, Samusa said:

Love the new brick colour! And I agree, you could do worse than to filch ideas from Brae.. I think we've all done i at some point or another... lol

Yeah thanks again guys...The raw cork colour was always going to be a brick red in the end just I didn't want to go too much into the red spectrum as some colours are a little garish and in your face...I think coupled with the grey grout (after a matt coat of clear sealant) it will really come into its own, lets wait and see as I dont wish to jump too far ahead of myself..I shouldn't have been even painting yet but I needed a "cheer me up" moment after yesterdays disappointment. 

What's not to like about Brae's Blog! its contents are a treasure trove and a "must go to" reference for any budding DH builder..such attention to detail and quirky executions to bypass otherwise difficult situations. I love the moss in a damp corner of a building...who would ever even think of that, such a touch or realism and even the drainpipe posts themselves oozes with ideas from rust, flaking paint and crackling all for just one small area of the build..totally awe-inspiring, such small elegant touches can make all the difference to an otherwise stark straight up and down building..I can't say enough about her work, assuming she is a female as I haven't even looked at her profile just yet , (I have used crackling before to other projects with great success but would shy away from using this in a miniaturist environment (maybe I might try it on a spare window frame I have laying around) Speaking from a totally Aquarists standpoint (presiding over many clubs and associations on a local and national level)..I find her rendition of a marine fish tank simply amazing)...but yes agreed everyone should take a look at Brae's jottings at some point in their house-building career.... as this hobby is just that "A Career" :) 

Respect and gratitude to all you kind people for the comments and helping remarks and tips on this thread...it is very much appreciated and I can't thank you all enough.

Regards C  

• Like 1

I'll let you be the judge!

Today I decided that given yesterday's fiasco. I would try and make a Rainwater Hopper for the guttering aspect of the house..No... I know I was never going to be able to replicate the beautiful die cast one I ordered of the internet. So this is what I finally ended up with to suit the size and proportions of the building. I still have to fashion brackets, fall-pipe and a shoe to complete the look I want and as if that wasn't enough I have to make the same again for the opposite side of the dwelling.  Materials used were PAR Stripwood, Stripwood moulding (cut to suit), wooden Matchsticks and Stock Card..I'm also interested in placing a little relief in the centre of the main hopper bucket such as a rose cutout, so that when its all painted up it will look like part of the casting....I hope I didn't do too bad of a job of it....it should look even better when properly painted and all attached....Did I do OK..or should I rub it out and start again....constructive criticism always welcome

Please don't be to hard on me....I'm no DH expert

Regards C

rainwater hopper_Fotor.jpg

Check out paper lace doilies for wee motives that will work for the decorative part of your hopper casting.  Gluing tow or three layers together ought to give you enough detail to survive a coat of paint.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Check out paper lace doilies for wee motives that will work for the decorative part of your hopper casting.  Gluing tow or three layers together ought to give you enough detail to survive a coat of paint.

Hahahaha.... BRILLIANT Holly.... you are a star..Thanks for that tip.... simply amazing.

Regards C

Your hopper looks great!  Its amazing how just a fraction of a size smaller can make such a big difference.  The only change I wish I saw in yours, any way you could get the downspout portion to taper like the other one?  Otherwise brilliant replica! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Keifer said:

Your hopper looks great!  Its amazing how just a fraction of a size smaller can make such a big difference.  The only change I wish I saw in yours, any way you could get the downspout portion to taper like the other one?  Otherwise brilliant replica! 

Well spotted Keith..to be fair I forgot about that..I was to busy tapering the other direction on the face..must try and amend that...back to the scroll-saw we go... Thanks buddy

31 minutes ago, Beulah said:

Remarkable.  Looks the same.  What a difference in size for sure, no wonder you were disappointed 

Thanks Joanne, yeah the other hopper was absolutely massive and looked totally out of place....My house is not exactly 1/12 scale but the windows are meant to be...purchased from a DH company, but the hopper dwarf's even these..Although its very nice..I reckon its overly big....I just have to watch out when making future purchases of whatever and get measurements first....Vendors setting a little ruler against their product images would help the builder no end 

Regards C

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigC said:

.I just have to watch out when making future purchases of whatever and get measurements first....Vendors setting a little ruler against their product images would help the builder no end 

Three chairs were auditioned for Marie Laveau's house. All claim to be 1:12 scale. See how they differ in size! The bench to the left was not used. The one in back is what Marie Laveau is sitting on in her bedroom, and the Chrysnbon chair with the caned seat is in the other room beside the drop leaf table. If the pieces are not too near one another, variations in size can still work.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=131231

• Like 1

I totally get this 1/12 scale or others for that matter seem to be totally fluid....this does not bare well for a newbie like myself trying to incorporate said scales into a build....I have wasted a fair few ££ already..but I'm learning and that's the main thing...I love the Ladder Back Chair though Kathie....Regards C

Even in real life furniture can be so off. My grandfather’s easy chair, circa 1940’s, (which I thought was huge as a child) is tiny compared to today’s overstuffed easy chairs.  Older European dining chairs seenm like child’s chairs compared to today’s dining room chairs. 

Its frustrating that I can’t find a dollhouse sofa in the same scale as my custom kitchen. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigC said:

I totally get this 1/12 scale or others for that matter seem to be totally fluid....this does not bare well for a newbie like myself trying to incorporate said scales into a build....I have wasted a fair few ££ already..but I'm learning and that's the main thing...I love the Ladder Back Chair though Kathie....Regards C

I now exactly what you mean, I bought two hutches and they are such different sizes, the larger one will not fit at all.  I am at a loss as to what the standard is because if you follow real life furniture there are few things that are consistent.  More now then there were long time ago, like beds seem to be fairly standard, but chairs come in all sizes as do hutches coffee tables, end tables and dining tables.   There are charts online as to what some pieces measure in real life so you can miniaturize them, but I find that they often don't match any furniture I own.  Even bathtubs are in a multiple of sizes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sable said:

Even in real life furniture can be so off. My grandfather’s easy chair, circa 1940’s, (which I thought was huge as a child) is tiny compared to today’s overstuffed easy chairs.  Older European dining chairs seenm like child’s chairs compared to today’s dining room chairs. 

Its frustrating that I can’t find a dollhouse sofa in the same scale as my custom kitchen. 

Again I totally get this Sable....what concerns me is the money ££/$$ wastage in the quest, which is why I would advocate vendors being more specific with sizes other than simply stating  1/12 scale or whatever,  as this as we all are aware,  can be a variable sometimes of huge proportions in relation to a specific build....just as in real life. Regards C

6 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I now exactly what you mean, I bought two hutches and they are such different sizes, the larger one will not fit at all.  I am at a loss as to what the standard is because if you follow real life furniture there are few things that are consistent.  More now then there were long time ago, like beds seem to be fairly standard, but chairs come in all sizes as do hutches coffee tables, end tables and dining tables.   There are charts online as to what some pieces measure in real life so you can miniaturize them, but I find that they often don't match any furniture I own.  Even bathtubs are in a multiple of sizes.

I copy that Barb entirely...more specific detailed measurements on behalf of the vendors would go a long way but then again if they source their products from various outlooks then how could we ever adapt a norm equilibrium....this I am learning and will ask questions from the vendor before I make a purchase in future.

12 minutes ago, BigC said:

I copy that Barb entirely...more specific detailed measurements on behalf of the vendors would go a long way but then again if they source their products from various outlooks then how could we ever adapt a norm equilibrium....this I am learning and will ask questions from the vendor before I make a purchase in future.

I have taken to emailing before I order to ask what the exact size is, even on etsy and ebay.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I have taken to emailing before I order to ask what the exact size is, even on etsy and ebay.  

For sure Barb..its the only way it seems....Be more specific, be more choosy if its not suitable then just walk away...Regards C

P.S. I'm now perusing your chandelier post with interest